H Plus Archetype & Hope Pro 3 Vs Mavic Ksyrium Elite

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Nairnp

by Nairnp

Question,

Stuck between these two.

Mavic, as we know, 1550g, pretty bomb proof and my lbs carries out in house repairs and holds all parts.

Vs

Archetype Rims, on Hope Pro 3 Hubs. DT revolution front and DT competition rear. comes out just over 1700g for pair (32/32 spokes)

Unsure which to go for, Mavics come out at £450, handbuilts £410, so nothing in price.

any input welcome

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

Not really an apples to apples comparison. The ride will be much better with the Archetypes.....but those two wheelsets are vastly different and your intended use would bear heavily in the decision.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

I have both but my Archetype build is on Dura Ace Hubs. My front wheel uses Sapim CX-Ray but rear is same as your planned build.

If you go with the Archetype make sure you have enough clearance on your frame. It is so much fun to ride the Archetype with 25 mm tires - wouldn't want to be stuck with just 23 mm as the only option (23 mm is also awesome on the wider rim BTW).

The Elites are the best of the Mavics IMO but I I save mine for winter or rainy weather. The Archetype is just such a smooth, solid, comfortable ride. I would prefer it over the Mavics every day.

How big are you? Maybe you can lower the spoke count to 24/28 and use CX-Rays or similar all around to bring down the weight. I am about 85 kg and 28/32 is rock solid for me.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

Wingnut

by Wingnut

I'd personally go the hand built over pre-assembled wheels any day..

Fatbiker

by Fatbiker

+1 on the Archtype rimmed wheels. I have had great success with them and if anything they have proved to be extremely bomb proof (think single trails and the like). I would go for the hard anodized ones or the polished ones. The black one turns ugly pretty fast IMHO.

Devon

by Devon

Why would you build Archetypes with 32/32? :noidea:

Should be able to get an Archetype/Pro3 build to 1450 by my calculations. 1500 at most.

I am in fact getting this exact build done when I can afford it, although of course with a more sensible spoke count.

743power
Shop Wrench

by 743power

There's no way pro 3s and archetypes would be 1450. I have 28h archetypes with hubs that are 90g less then the hopes and cx rays and they are 1550.

My vote is for the archetypes, or sl23. I deal with mavic wheels every day and there is nothing about them I like.
"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."

Wingnut

by Wingnut

And why not 32/32?

Devon

by Devon

Unnecessary unless you're using them for DH. There's no need for to over engineer a set of wheels for road use, especially when concerned about weight.

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

Nothing wrong with how a 32/32 set of wheels ride. And the OP doesn't seem concerned about weight.

"Unnecessary unless you're using them for DH"

I love this place :lol:

Devon

by Devon

If OP doesn't care about weight then go for the cheaper set...

AaronKellogg

by AaronKellogg

I'd say the concern is less about weight and more about ease of repair. The archetype build will always be repairable no matter where you go. Also if a hub fails or rim cracks etc the ehole wheel isn't a loss. We haven't even touched on the fact that aesthetically there is no comparison. I will Lso echo the earlier poster who mentioned the 25 tire on a 23 rim. It's a beautiful thing. Training wheels are supposed to be heavy so build them how you like but I think you would be fine with a 28 front and back. Triple cross. Mmm, sexy.

StradaJon
in the industry

by StradaJon

The Hope is a noisy hub when you stop pedalling but the Archetype rims are a good choice.
Strada Hand Built Wheels
http://www.stradawheels.co.uk

deltree

by deltree

Devon wrote:Why would you build Archetypes with 32/32? :noidea:

Should be able to get an Archetype/Pro3 build to 1450 by my calculations. 1500 at most.

I am in fact getting this exact build done when I can afford it, although of course with a more sensible spoke count.

v2 Archetypes with Pro3s and Sapim spokes laced 32/32 2x. by my calculations are ~1680-1700g.

Next time I have the cassette off mine I'll throw them on the scales.

OP; whereabouts are you based? Have you test ridden the Mavics?

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

Devon wrote:If OP doesn't care about weight then go for the cheaper set...

?

There's a lot more advantages to a set of handbuilts than simply weight. Repairing (as mentioned) for one. But ride quality, big difference.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com