Nervous spouse while you're out riding?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

AGW

by AGW

I use GPS Tracking Pro on my droid. My wife can track my every move. She feels better knowing where I am if a ride is dawdling, and I feel better that she doesn't have as much anxiety about my riding.

Tazzy

by Tazzy

Broke something doing something stupid I regret while ago on the mtb. Have allways been texting my wife when I stop for a snack.
Recenty she feels the need to reconfirm our silent agreement about me calling or texting when I stop for a snack.
Tell her before I go on a ride where I'm off to so she roughly knows how long it will take :)

The wife being happy results in a longer bikeride buzz

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kode54

by kode54

women worry. its just built in.

that said, a friend just had an accident and ended up in the hospital. broke his collarbone. i'm sure he won't live that one down.

i carry ID...and generally, i let me wife know how long i'll be or when i plan to get back. so if its any longer or if i have a flat, i call when i'm on the side of the road with mechanical issues.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

You guys are a sorry bunch. Tell your wives to get off their asses and ride with you. Problem solved.

Now the only worrying is mine when my wife is not paying attention to a split and is about to get dropped if she doesn't pull her head out of her ass and cover the gap. But I have her trained that if she gets dropped due to her own poor skills than she is on her own to get home.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

^ Haha! One of the best posts I've seen in a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

mdeth1313

by mdeth1313

Mr.Gib wrote:You guys are a sorry bunch. Tell your wives to get off their asses and ride with you. Problem solved.

Now the only worrying is mine when my wife is not paying attention to a split and is about to get dropped if she doesn't pull her head out of her ass and cover the gap. But I have her trained that if she gets dropped due to her own poor skills than she is on her own to get home.

Sometimes you need your own activities. :smartass:
Speedplay is the devil!

DanW

by DanW

Are any of these GPS tracking apps available to view online? For example I have an android phone (so could transmit my location) but my SO only has a 10 year old Nokia (so would need to view the location online rather than through an app). I see it as a means of keeping yourself safe especially off road so have no problems with being "tracked" by the wife.

Dalai

by Dalai

I am lucky and have none of these issues. I suggest roughly how long I'll be as a courtesy so she can also arrange her day. But she doesn't start stressing a minute after the time I say I expect to get home...

Spent a month in France riding by myself in 2011 - skyped in the evening most days to tell her about my day and ask about hers. Heading to the States for three weeks riding holiday very soon - will look at Skyping again when I have internet access but again because we want to be in touch.

mattr

by mattr

Yup, mine gets nervous on the steeper technical stuff, especially if it's wet/slippy.

So I just point and laugh until she wtfu and rides it. (I don't really, usually encourage and assist)

Then she usually smashes me to pieces on our next road ride. :(

pastronef

by pastronef

I think now with cell phones there should not be problems
:thumbup:
I began riding at 14 y.o. in '94 and I had to stop at phone booths on the road say my mother I was fine and getting home :hello: . In 2000 i bought a cell phone, so it is much easier
my girl lived abroad, she just told me "tu es fou" or "huai dan" because I ride too often :mrgreen:

rijndael

by rijndael

DanW wrote:Are any of these GPS tracking apps available to view online? For example I have an android phone (so could transmit my location) but my SO only has a 10 year old Nokia (so would need to view the location online rather than through an app). I see it as a means of keeping yourself safe especially off road so have no problems with being "tracked" by the wife.

I use Locate My Droid. In the online app, you can delegate view permissions to others. It is also nice that tracking is on demand, so it can save on battery life.

-Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

AGW

by AGW

@ DanW: with the app I have (GPS Tracking Pro, free on Google play), your wife simply logs in to the website (life360.com) and can track you by manually updating your location. It notifies you like a text message every time she does it, but no big deal.

Easy sign-up too. You basically just put in your email address when you first open the app and that's that.

DanW

by DanW

GPS tracking pro looks good and I have it rnning. The only issue being in the UK is it won't let me add anyone without a US phone number. Nevertheless they can use my login to find me

eric

by eric

I'm lucky that my wife doesn't worry about me. But I do tell her when I'll be back.

Of course it may take her a couple hours to notice I have not arrived on time, and she's not wedded to her cell phone like many people. So if I have a problem chances are good I am going to be on my own for a while.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Camilo

by Camilo

People spend too much energy worrying. I just can't imagine what is being discussed.