Nervous spouse while you're out riding?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

mdeth1313

by mdeth1313

Anyone else have one of these? :D

My wife constantly worries while I'm out riding. She never stops me from riding and only asks that I check in. A few times over the past 11 years we've had arguments about how often I should be checking in, but nothing major (and a few times I should have called or sent a text message when I didn't).

Today is an interesting entry into this saga: I was out doing a 130 mi solo ride and when I stopped to refill my water bottles I sent her a text message that said I still had about 45 mi left. If the US had just gone metric this never would have happened but my wife took that to be 45 minutes (which is usually noted as min) and I guess she started getting nervous. Fortunately, I now have an iphone and she was able to locate me and see that I was moving down a certain road (as opposed to being a hood ornament on some car or truck).

If we were just using km instead of mi none of this would have happened. At least it wasn't my fault this time!

Anyone else have a good story?
Speedplay is the devil!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kbbpll

by kbbpll

My spouse secretly hopes that I never come back.

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

Yeah, my wife just stalks me on "find my friend" on the iPhone.....just to be sure I am moving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

my wife used to stalk me on find friends on my iphone, but with my 810, i just send her an invite to track my ride when she works. she has told me that she shows off my stats to her coworkers.

devinci

by devinci

kbbpll wrote:My spouse secretly hopes that I never come back.

OMFG where's the "like" button ahahahahah

liketoride

by liketoride

i thought that was a good one too. I have a wife that calls to talk to me during my rides. some of you have it so good just having the wife check you phone :(

MarkGiardini

by MarkGiardini

I time my Saturday morning ride to coincide with my wife doing the housework.

That way she's too busy cleaning and thinking of things to yell at for when I get home, and doesn't have time to worry...

Man I'm a considerate husband...
I think I should treat my self to some more cycling gear.
KWalker wrote:chill out perv dogs, homegirl is still only 17.

Clubagreenie

by Clubagreenie

A good move might be to wake up 15 mins early and empty the vacuum bag out all over the house , hide last nights dishes in a spare room them put them out everywhere , add the clean clothes to the basket of dirty clothes so the smells go thru them all .... should buy you a bit more time ....

One lucky girl :welcome:
2012 KUOTA KOM Team Edition Campag SR11 .....My mistress
2012 RIDLEY HELIUM being built up ....

Geoff

by Geoff

Mark, I do the housework first!

Get used to it, it's genetic. Having said that, I have gone out for a ride and woken-up in the hospital (three days later), so it is probably justified. If she's concerned, it is best to just call...

bura

by bura

@mdeth1313: that was the case like my wife acted,too ..but this was years ago when there were no small cellphones and no mate was carrying these big units when riding.
Think we grew up into marriage and lets hope that nowadays she has not similar hopes as kbbpll's spouse .
Still better than catching her with a saw working on the fork of my bike.
Kuota Kom Evo
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=111825&p=955235#p955235" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SOLD

GASer

by GASer

What's the best app to lively track a ride?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
Trek SpeedConcept 9.9 Project One, Basso Diamante SV, DeRosa SK (sold), Orbea Orca Gold 6430gr, Orbea Aqua, Tommasini Tecno, FM-066SL 6480gr, Kinesis RaceLight T2, Trek Superfly 100, Orbea Alma 29, Specialized Enduro S-Works 29, KTM EXC-250

mdeth1313

by mdeth1313

I should clarfiy: I thought it was funny that she misread the "mi" and took it to mean "min". My wife is incredible, she's just really nervous about stuff like that. We have 2 kids but she lets me go and do all these long rides, lets me ride to family gatherings while she drives w/ the kids (she doesn't ride). I guess it helps that I was riding long before I met her.

I didn't mention the one where I was riding home from work and about 3 miles from home a thunderstorm broke out. We had a good fight over that one--

Wife: "Why didn't you call me to get you." Me: "Because I was 3 miles away- by the time you loaded _______ (my daughter was an infant at the time) into the car and got there I'd be soaked and probably struck by lightning." --- I has just crested a climb when the storm broke out.
Speedplay is the devil!

Powerful Pete
Location: Lima, Peru and the Washington DC area - it's complicated.

by Powerful Pete

Wife worries also.

I have an iPhone and find the Cyclemeter app to be pretty good for real time/live tracking. Keeps everyone happy, I suppose.
Road bike: Cervelo R3, Campagnolo Chorus/Record mix...
Supercommuter: Jamis Renegade...
Oldie but goodie: De Rosa Professional Slx, Campagnolo C-Record...
And you can call me Macktastik Honey Pete Kicks, thank you.

headwind816

by headwind816

My fiance worries about me too especially when I ride alone. It does not help that I been hit multiple times including the first month we were together along with daily threats from drivers.

Having said that, I am seriously considering the new POC road helmet with ICEdot. I mention this here in thoughts it may be a positive discussion point with your wife.

Also, we have established "rules" about checking in. It has helped a lot.

fa63

by fa63

My wife knows what time I typically get back home from my rides, so she won't even think about calling if I am on time.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com