Strava and Instagram.

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

Tillquist

by Tillquist

Hi

Do you use the function our your Instagram images automatically will be shown on Strava

I have connectet strava and Instagram, but it is far from all the photos that appear on Strava .......

What is you experience ?
See all my bike h e r e

MarkTwain

by MarkTwain

Will only post links to the Instagram uploads that occur during/close enough to the ride start and finish times.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Tillquist

by Tillquist

Yes I know.

Today on training trip I took this this picture and posted on instgram, but it is not showing on Strava during today's workout ... http://app.strava.com/activities/69896505" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
See all my bike h e r e

ross

by ross

Your instagram account is set to private so Strava won't pull the photos over

Tillquist

by Tillquist

ross wrote:Your instagram account is set to private so Strava won't pull the photos over

I was not aware that it could be the problem.

Thank you
See all my bike h e r e

ross

by ross

No probs mate :D

I can see your photos now, have added you on IG too

THSdrummer

by THSdrummer

I got an email when Strava and Instagram pairing, but haven't figured out how to link them. I just post a photo on Instagram mid-ride while recording on Strava? Does it have to be the phone app? I upload my ride from my Garmin post ride now...
2012 Cannondale CAAD10 3 - 8.08Kg
(Just began the weight reduction process)

ridonkulus

by ridonkulus

THSdrummer wrote:I got an email when Strava and Instagram pairing, but haven't figured out how to link them. I just post a photo on Instagram mid-ride while recording on Strava? Does it have to be the phone app? I upload my ride from my Garmin post ride now...
yeah just take the pic and upload during ride or within an hour or so of the ride and should automatically on strava. You don't need to be using strava app to do that though.

ave

by ave

Maybe it's of interest of others beside me to add photos to a ride which are posted on Istagram AFTER the ride. Sometimes hours later.

This is how I do it, with a Garmin, but should work with the phone app too.
1. Record the activity as normal, stop when finished, but do not reset.
2. Make the intagram posts you want to appear with the ride on Strava.
3. Resume riding for a few seconds with GPS lock, preferably somewhere else than the ride.
4. Upload the activity to Strava.
5. Pics will appear
6. Tools/trim and crop the end of the ride. Pictures will stay. :)

For example this race I did last week, went home, and 3 hours after the ride I checked the action camera's footage on my PC for a few shots, made the Instagram posts from those, added a few seconds to my ride, then uploaded the TCX, and cropped it.
http://www.strava.com/activities/123329596

For those happy to edit XML files manually, obviously you can add a dummy lap at the end of the activity.

jmilliron

by jmilliron

Nice workaround.

I'm told, by someone in the know, that the time window is 45 minutes after the end of the activity.
2013 Wilier Cento1 SR || 2009 Ridley Crossbow || 2011 Yeti AS-R 5 Carbon

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wojchiech

by wojchiech

It's probably equally the fault of both parties, but the fact that the sync feature isn't controlled by the date taken EXIF data is frustrating. I found myself rushing to post all my instagrams right after my ride because I don't like to stop in the middle of rides, especially longer ones where I try to conserve mobile battery/data usage. Strava's official stance on syncing photos is 'to just post to instagram as soon as you take them to ensure that they are synced.' :lol: :roll:

Now I just don't care anymore and treat them as separate ways to share (strava for riding, instagram for visuals).