POC road helmet

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

djconnel

by djconnel

When I saw photos of Lance(tm) wearing one I thought.this was just another overweight lid attempting a fashion statement, but the cyclingnews article got my attention. 193 grams with design features aimed towards real world safety and not just passing archaic vertical drop tests.

On helmets, other things equal, lighter = safer because bulk on the head increases concussion risk as well as neck fatigue.

The vent design looks good, as well. Big vents in the back is key to reduced drag and cooling at speed.

Fashion? Who cares...

http://cyclingnews.com/features//poc-octal-road-helmet

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Imaking20

by Imaking20

I actually think the Aero version looks pretty good!

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

I actually think the octal looks pretty good as long as it is paired with an overall hipster aesthetic.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

I would rock the white one without question on the more massive climbing days.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

Pharmstrong

by Pharmstrong

http://instagram.com/p/b5-G7fJI61/

Rear view. POC have said they're sponsoring a team next year, so maybe it's Garmin? Can't imagine they would use the Tempor though, what with Garmin being one of the first teams to realise riders tend to drop their head in TTs...

I agree that the white one looks great, I'd just have to see how much of a balloon/mushroom it would look on my head... that and the fact that due to the location the logo looks to read 'poo'.

I also think they're missing a trick by not making the aero version a magnetic snap on cover. I understand the UCI rules, but producing a cover as well would benefit the rest of us.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Most helmets (most, not all) have their logos applied via decals which are usually removable. On the rare occasion the logo is painted on, but I haven't seen a painted logo on a consumer helmet in years. A blank POC Octal in white is very modernist. I like it a lot...

And I concur with pharmstrong: the ultimate test would be trying it on to see if it fits and appears well.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

Paniagua

by Paniagua

My Giro Aeon (not even a yr. old) has painted graphics

DCnoJ

by DCnoJ

I'm impressed. Safety first, super lightweight, appears extremely ventilating, and it's classical/modern styling is unique and I actually really love it. The only thing missing is a competitive price point assuming its got a versitile fit.

uraqt

by uraqt

There were better pix on a different site but I can't find them, I think they got pulled down. It might be the lowest profile helmet too, but the vent channels from front to back looked shallow. I do hope that the other manufacturers get on the ball with the "real" safety tests.

Devon

by Devon

Fairly chunky and looks to be a fairly wide fit. Will try one on when I next see it.

In some views it looks very similar in profile to the Specialized helmets.

Also, 300USD.

ultyguy

by ultyguy

I hope they don't fit as round as their ski helmets. The other thing that kinda concerns me is that size of the vents. Would be a b*tch to be unlucky and have some protruding thing kill you.

edit- i love the extra coverage though and something I've always felt that bike helmets lacked. POC has done some fantastic work in the field of concussion minimization. You can read a long article about it here...
http://www.bicycling.com/senseless/

djconnel

by djconnel

Yeah -- the MIPS stuff looks very promising. I don't think this has it, though: it adds mass. Still, I'd bet it's safer than most if not all the road racing competition.

ultyguy

by ultyguy

Your probably right, this won't have it, it adds 50g to the ski helmets they put it in.

Pharmstrong

by Pharmstrong

Westbrook (UK retailer) are now listing these for £225. That's $346 for you colonials. Looks like I'll just get a Mixino after all.

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

ultyguy wrote:Your probably right, this won't have it, it adds 50g to the ski helmets they put it in.
Good point. Many people's brains are not worth 50 grams, especially those who would not be willing to incur the 50 grams to protect them.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com