Rear QR Skewer?

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

justaute

by justaute

Have a few QR (10x135mm) related questions. As someone who weighs around 200lbs, a few grams don't bother me -- nonetheless, as I am on WW, any reasonable/practical weight-shaving is a good thing. :mrgreen:

- Has anyone, especially you "heavier" WW (+82kg/180lbs), had issues with light-weight rear QR skewer? For reference, I'm thinking of KCNC, Mt Zoom, etc.

- Based on what I've read, internal-cam QR is better than external-cam QR when it comes to clamping power and ease of use. Anybody besides Shimano currently makes external-cam QR (at a decent weight)? I know Tune used to.

- Any thoughts on moving from rear QR to thru-bolt QR like the DT Swiss RWS? Weight penalty?

DanW

by DanW

Don't know if I am a "heavier WW" but at just over 80kg I have been using the KCNC Ti skewers for 2 years in all weathers and on all terrain without any issues. I can't vouch for other light skewers but the KCNC enjoy a good, robust reputation and I would have to add to those positive experiences of others. Fairwheel bikes did a good QR comparison which may be worth a read (I can't find the link quickly). Here are some updated thoughts from the same guys http://fairwheelbikes.com/c/forums/topic/12-high-end-skewers-reviewed/

I would expect 50% of the WW's replies to this thread to be to recommend the KCNC (maybe some of these to recommend Mt Zoom too) based on experience and the other 50% to recommend Shimano XTR based on a distrust of any skewer which is lighter than Shimano :D

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

justaute

by justaute

Thanks for the input, DanW. I'll have one of each coming (Mt Zoom & XTR). Perhaps, I'll use the Mt Zoom for the CX wheel and XTR for my mountail/trail wheel.

btw...enjoyed reading your 18.5kg project.

Varaxis

by Varaxis

justaute

by justaute

Isn't the Syntace X-12 for 142mm wide? Mine is 135mm.

DanW

by DanW

Completely different dropout/ QR standard!

My German isn't great but it suggests the Tune QR tested has the best stiffness to weight ratio and the absolute stiffness is not much less than XTR/ 10mm thru bolt (for the various QR options for a standard hub/ dropout). I would expect the KCNC to be a little bit stiffer than the Tune for a pretty similar weight, although that is just speculation :D What "stiffness" refers to here in this test I am not sure though. It doesn't seem like there is much to choose from stiffness-wise for the various QR options for a standard hub/ dropout. Choose on weight, bling and reliability of the closure in that case :D

raganwald

by raganwald

My understanding is that stiffness is almost irrelevant in a QR skewer. The dropouts are held against the hub by the QR being tightened to the point of stretching the metal, so it acts like a spoke. It's contribution to the stiffness of the rear end is negligible compared to the stiffness of the rear triangle and of the hub itself.

If I am correct, the reason steel skewers are more reliable than titanium is that steel has better elasticity. But all that being said, I used Ti skewers in the 80s, 90s, and now. I just check the tension every few rides, something I'd do with steel any ways.

justaute

by justaute

Thanks for chiming in -- good stuff.

raganwald wrote:My understanding is that stiffness is almost irrelevant in a QR skewer. The dropouts are held against the hub by the QR being tightened to the point of stretching the metal, so it acts like a spoke. It's contribution to the stiffness of the rear end is negligible compared to the stiffness of the rear triangle and of the hub itself.

If I am correct, the reason steel skewers are more reliable than titanium is that steel has better elasticity. But all that being said, I used Ti skewers in the 80s, 90s, and now. I just check the tension every few rides, something I'd do with steel any ways.

TheRookie

by TheRookie

TI is more elastic than steel (more deformation for the same load), so getting a good tension is 'harder' to judge as you need ;ess freeplay to start, as you don't exceed the elastic limit, once done up it shouldn't change.
Impoverished weight weenie wanna-be!
Budget 26" HT build viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110956

andrewh8877

by andrewh8877

I've got one pair of Tune ones and five pairs of Mt Zoom ones. I prefer the Mt Zoom ones, they are much easier to use, for example a larger handle makes them easier to open and close and they hav a definate 'close point' you can push the Tune levers too far.
On the 'pick it and feel it' weight test the Mt Zooms feel (just!) ahead.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com