"PRO" Cycling Discussion

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

kbbpll

by kbbpll

What a mess.

petepeterson

by petepeterson

pastronef - I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not....

How is it a mess? Who cares about '98 and anyone actually surprised someone on POE. I get that a full confession really complicates things but man those partial admissions are so weak. Barely a notch up from denial. As inrng puts it: "Others will be named and if you’re surprised at the revelations then you probably haven’t been following cycling for long enough."

I read a cool (if true) comment on inrng that Laurens Ten Dam is/was doing the post tour crit rounds in his chev camper van. Pro cycling is hilarious.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Guerdi

by Guerdi

Man that Caleb Ewan is the next big thing. Just wow.

I saw him riding (and winning) the Tour d'Alsace stage 2 today. Impressive.

Saw Simon as well.

pastronef

by pastronef

petepeterson wrote:pastronef - I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not....

sorry, I thought about writing "i am not sarcastic" while posting

no, it's not sarcastic. his positive has not been confirmed, he's just on the suspicious list, so, even if we know he did it, he should've kept his mouth shut for a little longer, and maybe the media would have just cared about the confirmed positives

fa63

by fa63

I imagine O'Grady took this as an opportunity to clear his conscience (well, partially at least).

In all of this, Lance Armstrong must be just kicking back and smiling...

boysa

by boysa

In my opinion, the whole "clearing of conscience" is a bunch of malarky. Rest assured, none of these guys... NONE of them... feel they really did anything wrong. This is key, and frankly I don't fault them for it. It's why I've always said never confess, no matter what the evidence says. For what purpose?

Unless, of course, you get a good book deal. Oh wait... O'Grady's book comes out when? :thumbup:
"Deserve's got nothing to do with it." William Munny

Monkeyboy3333

by Monkeyboy3333

I think when I comment in this thread from now on I will presume everyone has done/is doing something and discuss the "pro's" on that basis.

Horze

by Horze

stella-azzurra wrote:LeMond was supportive of Froome, but noted he had a "weird position" on the bike

"There is a difference between a climber like Hinault for example, and Froome speeding away like that," the 52-year-old explained. "People look at technology now, wattage, VO2max and nobody is equal physically. You can't compare it to before. I don't like it when people ask me questions like that and I want to believe in what I'm seeing. There can be spectacular performances without doping."

--cyclingnews

Check out Lemond occupying his very own personal space:

stella-azzurra wrote:Image

Ja, you can have spectacular performances without doping. In the past the sport was less developed. A few who either saw the light and slipped through, or by sheer chance, were able to dominate the competition [eg, Merckx]. Many pro riders were also quite stupid. There are still a few today.
If we put a Merckx in the peloton today I don't believe he would stand out in the Cannibalistic fashion like he did.
7x Forum Racing Ban Champion.

Horze

by Horze

prendrefeu wrote:Image

Relax brother, Froomie is clean. On a diet of papayas and vegetable juice. I should know.

Our next conversation shall be in Swahili.
7x Forum Racing Ban Champion.

Tapeworm

by Tapeworm

That "I want to believe" poster may be close to the truth, Froome CAN levitate! :-
http://twitter.com/jamiegough/status/36 ... 24/photo/1
"Physiology is all just propaganda and lies... all waiting to be disproven by the next study."
"I'm not a real doctor; But I am a real worm; I am an actual worm." - TMBG

tinchy

by tinchy

maquisard wrote: Like it or not, doping is part of the history of the sport. Whether we celebrate it or not is debatable.

This. :up:

boysa

by boysa

Horze wrote:If we put a Merckx in the peloton today I don't believe he would stand out in the Cannibalistic fashion like he did.

Let's be clear... Clean or dirty, the champions all have one thing in common: they all work their tails off and they all know how to suffer on the bike.

Wait, that's two things.
"Deserve's got nothing to do with it." William Munny

airwise

by airwise

Armstrong never really looked like he was suffering, straight off a 7w/kg climb and into an interview with nary a bead of sweat on his brow.

As for the senate enquiry, what a total waste of french taxpayers' money. Old news that does nothing but sully the waters for today's predominantly hard working and clean riders.

pastronef

by pastronef

airwise

by airwise

It strikes me that teams looking for contract extensions or new partners every year is a very amateurish way to operate. Multi year tie ins are surely needed to ensure stability and to allow the sort of investment and planning that would enable an outfit to take the challenge to the likes of Sky.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com