Making the transition to tubulars

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
sungod

by sungod

just make sure extenders/valves are screwed in tight

when on cycling trips i use a lezyne travel pump every day to get both tyres back up to pressure, even after a couple of weeks of this the cores do not come lose

but before the luxury of the travel pump, i used a lezyne minipump for the same purpose, no pressure release, but still no cores coming out in spite of daily use for two weeks

Zakalwe

by Zakalwe

Tightening the valve core up certainly works, makes things a bit trickier when actually want to get it off at the roadside to put some sealant in though.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sungod

by sungod

core tool will still remove it easily - had to seal one of mine last weekend

Geoff

by Geoff

Another alternative is a non-threading pump head. I prefer Topeak.

sjc166

by sjc166

I am thinking about making the jump to tubulars but i am a bit apprehensive to do so. I guess its because of the thought of getting a flat while riding and having to lug another spare tyre around with me, rather than just an inner tube as with clinchers.

Has anyone recently made to jump to tubulars? I would love to hear some plus and minuses about them and peoples experience with regarding to ride quality. Are they worth it?
Cheers

Svetty

by Svetty

Why not try tubeless - most of the benefits, none of the drawbacks :D

sjc166

by sjc166

I did think of that, i assuming they fit on clincher rims? Its just i have been looking online and there are heaps of bargain on Tub wheel sets at the moment. Just wonder if its worth it.

Zakalwe

by Zakalwe

There's plenty of threads on the Everything Wheels subforum, but as for lugging an extra tyre around - an inner tube plus tyre irons isn't all that far off the weight of a spare tub, plus the two on the wheels are lighter than a couple of clinchers would be.

sjc166

by sjc166

:thumbup:

Bridgeman

by Bridgeman

Been back on tubulars for about 7 years now. Stopped carrying an extra tire quite a while ago, and now only carry a small bottle of Tufo Extreme and a very small MasterBlaster Carbon Fiber Pump. This has worked perfectly for me.

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

I see a long walk back home in the near future.... :mrgreen:

No matter how well Tufo's Extreme liquid latex works, on some occasions the size of the puncture can be beyond repair. :cry:

Ciao, ;)
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

dha

by dha

Have some zipp 202s waiting for the spring and currently considering what tubs to buy for them. One question that I can't seem to find the info on is how wide a tub can I fit to these wheels? Zipp list the brake track width as 22.61mm. Can I only go to a 23mm tub or will 25s fit?

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

Generally speaking a tubular should be at least equally wide as the rim, preferably 1mm wider.
See Zipp's 23mm wide Tangente or similar.
Anything narrower than that would expose the rim bed's edges cancelling out any aero advantage, not to mention the risk of actually damaging it by impact. Rocks, boardwalks' edges, you name it.

A wider tyre on the rear wheel should yield less rolling resistance with maybe a minor or negligible impact on aero. Due to it being wider it should also be less prone to puncture compared to it's narrower brother.
The added weight has little to no impact on actual performance.

When in doubt I'm Zipp could advise you further. 8)

Ciao, ;)
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

I don't carry a spare either just stans sealant, a pump and loctight 402
I'm riding my Veloflex tires into the threads now
the 'gel super glue' technique has me getting an extra 1000kms outa the rear tires and my ride home has gone from 70% with sealant to 99% with sealant and the 402