Storing tubulars

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

GASer

by GASer

I will not be using two pairs of carbon tubular wheels with rubbers fit on for a long period of time, maybe a year or so, with no access. Any advice to keep them fresh and most importantly avoid issues when I will be using them again?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
Trek SpeedConcept 9.9 Project One, Basso Diamante SV, DeRosa SK (sold), Orbea Orca Gold 6430gr, Orbea Aqua, Tommasini Tecno, FM-066SL 6480gr, Kinesis RaceLight T2, Trek Superfly 100, Orbea Alma 29, Specialized Enduro S-Works 29, KTM EXC-250

sungod

by sungod

hanging up (by the rims, so no pressure on the tyre itself), in the dark, not in extreme high/low temperature, dry and away from anything that might affect the materials (cleaning fluids, fumes etc.)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Geoff

by Geoff

Also, periodically inflate them with 30 or 40 psi. At the end on the season, I like to protect the sidewalls of the tire by giving them a coat of liquid latex to keep them from drying-out. Works really well.

Zigmeister

by Zigmeister

Yeah, good thread to remind people. Haven't ridden my 303 FC Tubulars in about 3 months. Was going to put them on, then saw the front tire half peeled off the rim etc...

Damn things look like they will need a reglue around the edges to secure them...they were a little sketchy from not being inflated and ridden for a short period of time.

Probably going to move away from tubulars, the extra 150-200gms of weight savings is a hassle in many ways. They were my race day wheels, so great for that. But Summer/no racing and training, they sit. Kind of a waste of money, plus the deflation/glue issues of sitting as mentioned above.

I don't like to use them for training in case I flat out in the middle of nowhere and I can't repair it.

BTW, mine are in a wheel bag, so just keeping them out of the exposed air in my humid garage didn't stop them from coming off the rim somewhat and becoming flaky now.

GASer

by GASer

Thanks guys. Given the fact that I will no be able to inflate the tires, I am afraid that they will be de-glued eventually. At least I am going to hang em from them rims in the basement. Love the tubs rolling but...
Trek SpeedConcept 9.9 Project One, Basso Diamante SV, DeRosa SK (sold), Orbea Orca Gold 6430gr, Orbea Aqua, Tommasini Tecno, FM-066SL 6480gr, Kinesis RaceLight T2, Trek Superfly 100, Orbea Alma 29, Specialized Enduro S-Works 29, KTM EXC-250

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

You can easily store properly glued tubs for several years with no issues whatsoever.

Ciao, ;)
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com