Sunglasses recommendations

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

MikeM

by MikeM

Alright guys,

Was looking for recommendations for sunglasses - previously used Oakley M frames and currently have Oakley Split jackets. The main issue I generally have with sunglasses is the length of the arms; it would seem I have a shallow head and so on most sunglasses the back of the arms interfere with the helmet retention system.

I've tried on a pair of Giro Havik 2, which fitted perfectly however a) they are discontinued and b) I can't seem to find any mirrored lenses (vain, I know). So was looking for some sunglasses similar to the Haviks, currently in production, interchangeable lenses.

Cheers!
"Life without passion is empty" - Eddy Merckx
So that explains the hours on a bike...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

From Tifosi (reflective lenses available):
Logic XL
Podium (rimless, but not sure if you're necessarily seeking the 'upper rim' design from the Giro Haviks)

From Salice:
006ITA

From Spiuk:
Arqus

From Uvex:
sgl103
sgl104

From Endura:
Cross bow (rimless)

From Carrera:
C-TF01B
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

sigismond0

by sigismond0

Big fan of the Tifosi Podium, if you're on a budget. $40 on Amazon gets you the set with black/red/clear lenses. Not polarized, but you definitely can't beat them at that price.

rowdysluggins

by rowdysluggins

I've had good luck with Tifosi's especially for the price. I haven't used the Podiums, but I might have to try them. I'm a big fan of no upper rim to obscure the view when in a tuck. I'm currently using Smith Pivlock V90s and I really like them. Not polarized either, but I really don't like polarized for riding. It can change the way things look just by changing the angle of your head. Creeps me out.

sigismond0

by sigismond0

The other upshot of being rimless is that it's considerably easier to clean most of the sweat off without completely disassembling the glasses.

Moderately off-topic, but has anybody ever used something along the lines of Rain-X on their lenses to help with sweat? I can hardly go a half-hour these days without streaks and beads inside the lenses.

rowdysluggins

by rowdysluggins

sigismond0 wrote:Moderately off-topic, but has anybody ever used something along the lines of Rain-X on their lenses to help with sweat? I can hardly go a half-hour these days without streaks and beads inside the lenses.

That's why I never ride without my headsweats shorty. ;)

hmai18

by hmai18

Rudy Project Genetyk. The arms are flexible, so you can give them slight downward bend to hook them behind your ears andshorten them a bit.

bombertodd

by bombertodd

I've had a pair of Spy Screws since Christmas and love them. Go try on a pair and see if they fit.

kervelo

by kervelo

sigismond0 wrote:Moderately off-topic, but has anybody ever used something along the lines of Rain-X on their lenses to help with sweat? I can hardly go a half-hour these days without streaks and beads inside the lenses.

Oakley has a product that may be useful for you. It works fine with rain water.
http://uk.oakley.com/products/6730/25107" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

bura

by bura

Current favorite are Adidas a 168 evil eye halfrim S of Valverde.
Not necessarily in red .
Kuota Kom Evo
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=111825&p=955235#p955235" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SOLD

idler

by idler

Lazer (same brand as the helmets) have very short arms - only sunglasses that really work for me with Kask Mojito helmets.

nickf

by nickf

Been loving my salice 006 with the crx lenses. Super comfortable, lightweight, great price. The only complaint is they don't fit in my cat like whisper vent holes. I also have a pair of the salice 005 and they do fit in the helmet. Also a great pair of glass. 005s are super light, I forget I have them on.

Devon

by Devon

+1 for the Salice 006 here. One of the smartest pairs of glasses I've seen with a very unique/euro look. I'm putting some on order myself at the end of the month.

MarkGiardini

by MarkGiardini

Oakley Flak Jacket XLJ with polarised lenses for me.
KWalker wrote:chill out perv dogs, homegirl is still only 17.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Devon

by Devon

Oakley's are great, but if you're concerned about image (as OP suggests with a want for mirrored lenses), then avoid. 99% of people I ride with wear either Radarlocks or Jawbones. Yawn.

I also don't see the need to pay (using Radarlocks as an example) £170 for a pair of glasses no better than say the Salice 006s which cost £60. (Obviously there are some differences, but really, when it comes down to it I'd argue they're minimal, and not worth an extra £110).

Oakley = Apple of the glasses world.