Updating 10 speed Ultegra Di2 to 11 speed

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

limba

by limba

Sorry if this has been covered before, someone can even post a link and I'll read it. My question is will Ultegra Di2 work with the new DA Di2? Can I use Ultegra shifters with DA derailleurs or vice versa?

eordman

by eordman

In short, yes.

Everything that uses E-tube wiring, which is everything except old DA 7970, is compatible with each other. At the moment, that means you could use alfine Di2 shifters with ultegra RD and a DA FD. It's all plug and play. You can adjust the shifter controls (what button does what, how fast the bike will change gears if you hold down the button, etc.) in a computer program.

The Dura-Ace and Ultegra front derailleurs are optimized for 11 and 10 speeds, respectively, but I'd imagine there'd be very little funcional difference if used an Ultegra FD on an otherwise 9070 bike.

The rear derailleurs, at least as far as I've seen on the internet and from Shimano, are specific to the number of speeds they were designed for. So, if you want 11 speed but only want to pay for ultegra di2, don't expect the motor in the RD to work with the spacing of the cassette. That said, you could just put a DA RD on an otherwise ultegra bike and it would work just fine. I don't know if the motor in the DA RD will work with 10 speed or not. Maybe someone else can chime in.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

limba

by limba

Great, thanks for the help.

ms6073

by ms6073

eordman wrote:I don't know if the motor in the DA RD will work with 10 speed or not. Maybe someone else can chime in.
No experience but having read a lot of the Di2 topics, my understanding is that with e-tube compatible Di2 components, although rear shifting signals are based on how the firmware for the DA 9070 junction box ('the brain') is programmed, the rear derailleur still determines the number of cogs. For firmware updates, you can use Shimano's internal battery charger (BCR2) or the Shimano PC Connector Interface Device (SM-PCE1PC) as the only thing the BCR2 does not do that the PCE1 does is diagnostics for when you have a malfunction as the PCE1 will test stuff out as wellas provide step-by-step instructions on narrowing down the problem. The PCE1 is offered as an aftermarket accessory but is currently limited in availability but with the ability to update firmware, seems to me if you had Ultegra Di2, all you would have to do is swap out the junction box and rear derailleur then update firmware so that all the electronics are on the new version to make current Ultegra Di2, 11 speed compatible.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

paulm2322

by paulm2322

Can anyone tell me the benefits of upgrading to this crankset http://www.evanscycles.com/products/shi ... t-ec045788 over my current one please? This is my bike http://www.evanscycles.com/products/tre ... 1#features" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I am more than happy with the performance of the Ultegra Di2. I understand I will need to upgrade the cassette to 11 speed for this to work. Does anyone know if the Di2 will need adjusting or will it automatically work with the 11 speed cassette?

Any advice/help is much appreciated.
You can't 'out train' a bad diet : )

wpccrunner
in the industry

by wpccrunner

You will need to update the firmware on the Ui2 shifters/control boxes. This can be done with the Shimano E-Tube Di2 System Check and Programmer SM-PCE1. You will also need a cassette and chain, and to convert your free-hub to 11speed if it is not already.

The crank will be a huge upgrade. Much stiffer, lighter, smoother shifting, etc. The biggest advantage I see in the new 4-arm shimano cranks is the ability to switch between "compact" and "standard" ring combos on the same arms (you will only need new rings, not a whole new crank).

Here's a whole PDF manual on the firmware upgrade process(available on the Shimano website). Hope I do not get flamed for posting an exterior link
http://techdocs.shimano.com/media/techd ... 771121.pdf

paulm2322

by paulm2322

Thanks for the fast response. I have these wheels http://www.evanscycles.com/products/shi ... t-ec045834 so hoping I don't need to alter anything on them. If I wanted greater top end speed would you suggest a combination like this? http://www.evanscycles.com/products/shi ... t-ec045792

Cheers

wpccrunner
in the industry

by wpccrunner

those wheels will work.

For top end speed, you should not need a 54 tooth. Gearing choices come down to the type of terrain you ride. I ride in flat south Florida on a 53-39 crank and 11-23 cassette and have hit 40mph in the 53x12 with around a 110 to 120 cadence. What cassette are you running?

paulm2322

by paulm2322

So would you advise sticking with the compact crank? I currently have the ten speed 11-28 cassette and feel like I need another gear to go faster. I have not used another crank combo other than a compact.

40mph on the flat?? That is impressive! :thumbup:

Thanks

wpccrunner
in the industry

by wpccrunner

I am getting a new bike soon(hopefully today) and it comes with a compact crank (50-34) but I will be upgrading to 52-38 chain rings.

For you I would suggest a 52-36 or 52-38. With an 11-28 cassette you can still max out at 37mph with a 100 cadence. Not knowing your riding abilities that should be sufficient as you could probably sprint at 120 cadence which would be 40+ mph.

Use a gear calculator to get good estimates of speed vs. cadence vs. gear ratio. I like the Sheldon Brown one here.
http://sheldonbrown.com/gears/

paulm2322

by paulm2322

Like this http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-dura-ac ... 5360505933

Thanks for your advice, I have a bit more direction now.
Good luck with your new stead :beerchug:

TrekUk
Shop Owner

by TrekUk

why not support your LBS rather than these online snakes that are destroying LBS for everyone.
Madone Five Series 2013
Shimano Dura-Ace 9000
Mavic Cosmic SLE 2013

paulm2322

by paulm2322

I do support my LBS, however if I can save £100 on an item that my LBS cannot price match, why would I waste my hard earned money?

hornedfrog

by hornedfrog

Paulm2322, you will not be able to run an 11 speed cassette with your 10 speed ultegra Di2 rear derailleur. To do that you would need to get the Dura Ace 9070 rear derailleur as well. If you want to spend all that cash go right ahead, but honestly you shouldn't have an issue running the new Dura Ace 9000 chainset with your current setup. Shifting performing might not be "optimal" but it should work fine with a 10 speed cassette as chain. You will need to use the 1.85 mm spacer or whatever it is supplied with the C50 wheels when/if you fit them with the 10 speed cassette.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

greenmachine
Shop Owner

by greenmachine

Your going to need front derailleur as well as new head unit if you upgrade to 11 speed, shifters - battery and wires are all you can re-use i bet the likes of Wiggle wont give you that info but they will still take your money, Considering the new 11 speed Di2 Ultegra is about to launch and looks the same as DA9000 at a fraction of the cost i would wait.