18.5lb Full Suspension MTB on a budget

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

TrekUk
Shop Owner

by TrekUk

I googled snapped cannondale scapel and images returns lots of photos.

Take a look on this thread also...

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=83472

Im not here to offend or slate off at all, since you say there are no issues im just producing the evidence.
Madone Five Series 2013
Shimano Dura-Ace 9000
Mavic Cosmic SLE 2013

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dwaharvey

by dwaharvey

TrekUK: hopefully you're just concerned for his well-being, but your posts come off as being in poor taste to me. If this post was of a brand new 14 lb Madone, would you respond by telling the OP to check his frame before every ride because they snap really often? I doubt it, yet if I google "snapped trek madone" I get an awful lot of pictures too (more in fact). As Dan said, anything can break, particularly on a mountain bike that's being ridden hard. Good thing is that Cannondale, like Trek, stand behind their product.

TrekUk
Shop Owner

by TrekUk

Thats exactly what the intentions were, I would not come on here and pick someone out for buying the wrong thing, or on their choice of frame, I know these things snap here in the UK and wanted to make him aware to check the rear stays as regular maintenance, Everything is capable of snapping, some more so than others.

I wish im all the best and hope he gets many years out of the bike.
Madone Five Series 2013
Shimano Dura-Ace 9000
Mavic Cosmic SLE 2013

plpete

by plpete

What dwaharvey said. TrekUk, you might want to re-read your posts prior to posting and throw in a short explanation of your thoughts as it is a fact that a short negative blurb is just bad taste. And this being the internet nobody knows your intentions aside from your past history as a member, which seems very pro-Trek and con-everything else.

DanW

by DanW

4 posts to tell someone their new bike is going to snap is more negative than helpful. When your first comment on a new build is "Dang those rear stays look snappable" it is hard not to take it in a negative light. As you will see in my first post, everything was bought new with a warranty for exactly such an eventuality and I regularly check all components. At the end of the day it is a 1.5kg full sus frame (with shock!) so I think everyone is realistic as to it's possible limitations. Should something unresolvable happen then I guess Funk will be getting a call :D

Anyway.... :D

Just tested the set up on some new terrain- Some long rocky descents, tech steep rocky climbs and some tech steep rocky descents. I still remain impressed with the performance and don't feel I miss any plushness on the bigger stuff when it comes to descending in comparison to say my Santa Cruz Superlight. Already I feel I am starting to get used to using a bit more body language to pump the terrain and stay nicely balanced through the rough stuff.

Climbing seated on ~10% gradients it could easily be a hardtail if it was a blind test. It is only on the steeper, 20%, smooth climbs when the more rearward weight on the bike pushes the shock deeper in the travel and the differences to a hardtail are more noticeable- in that case a quick flick of the lock out solves everything :D

I was prepared to be slightly disappointed with some performance aspects (some harshness, some lack of grip perhaps), but these worries were happily unfounded from the first test ride.

New pics with the FSA K-force cranks and lighter build coming as soon as the parts finally make it here :D

DanW

by DanW

Some new goodies arrived today :D

464g for the 170mm, BB30 FSA K-Force Light (including everything required- self extracting bolt, pre-load bolt and pedal washers) is pretty damn impressive for not many pennies (on a well known British online shop)

Just waiting for a 32T 104 Absolute Black chain ring and MRP 1x Guide now to be more or less finished...

Mads Kock

by Mads Kock

Why not a Wolftooth chainring and no chainguide? should work great - have a friend who been using that chainring and haven't dropped a chain yet.

DanW

by DanW

The Absolute Black ring works in a similar way to the Wolftooth so ditching the guide is always a possibility. I don't have the funds for a clutch rear mech at the moment and can not make up my mind if I trust the rear mech and ring to hold on the chain and not damage the pretty carbon :) For the time being at least I am happy to keep using a chain guide.

DanW

by DanW

Despite my last post I have indeed ditched the chain guide :D

There are not really any weight savings given the weight of the clutch rear mech but it does make for a clean looking build. With the clutch correctly set the shifting can be made very snappy which is nice.

On the downside it has only taken me 200km to drop the chain. This was towards the end of a very muddy, very wet 60km ride in torrential rain we have had this British Summer. The reason I dropped the chain was because gritty mud can build up around the wide teeth on the chainring which stops the chain from sitting low down on the teeth like it should. In the dry it is fine, but in the mud the shape of the wide teeth does not allow the mud to be pushed down and off the tooth as it does on the narrow/ normal teeth. Several times during the ride I noticed the chain sitting high on the teeth then eventually cluck down and locate properly. Clearly when I dropped the chain the chain was sitting high on the teeth due to the mud and a rough section was enough to throw it off. My opinion is that the clutch mech does most of the work keeping the chain on and the chain rings a bit of a gimmick. I would like to try the new FSA Megatooth ring which relies on a longer, more hooked tooth and avoids the narrow/ wide approach which seems to be prone to issues in thick, gritty mud...

DanW

by DanW

Now sitting bang on 8.5kg real verified weight as ridden including 241g of "extras" (Garmin edge 800, speed/ cadence sensor, heli-tape, chainstay protector). 8.26kg/ 18.21lbs without these necessary additions. Just got a hankering for a Lefty then I can call it done.... ish :D