Need a recommendation for bar tape

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

PharmerBob

by PharmerBob

As the season progresses I usually develop more flexibility. I can comfortably rest my forearms on my bars at this point, however they are slippery when wet. Currently using the S Wrap classic that came on my Tarmac. Anyone want to recommend something less slippery when heavily perspiring? Was thinking Specialized Robaix tape because myLBS is a Spec dealer, but I am open to anything.

Rob

kode54

by kode54

The Cinelli cork tape is nice. No slip.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

eric

by eric

+1 for cinelli cork.
Sram also makes a nice cork tape.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Deda, Cinelli, or SRAM cork. All great.
I tend to go for whatever is on sale at the moment. :)

I also like Babolat Pro Team SP - if you want really, really light (~10g for the handlebar, if I remember correctly) but it may or may not last very long depending on where, how often, and how tightly you grip your bars.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

Geoff

by Geoff

If you want sticky, try Lizardskins. I had never tried it before, but I got a bunch of it from Lotto-Belisol, who are sponsored by Lizardskins. It is really sticky, but a bit thin. You would need to run two layers, in my opinion (or run it over any cheap cork tape).

boolinwall

by boolinwall

Lizard skins is really sticky. It's quite ideal for leaning on. I haven't had great luck with it's longevity myself. That having been said. I ride with a bunch of other guys who use it and haven't had any durability issues. I use the 3.2mm and they all use the thinner stuff. That's the only reason I can see for it not lasting as long. It's simply too soft. My favorite tape of all time is Prologo double touch. It's thinner and firmer at the drops and thicker and softer at the tops.

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

I really like the Speci Roubaix tape....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

LegendRider

by LegendRider

I've given up on Cinelli because the adhesive makes a mess when trying to remove it.

I just wrapped my bars with the Specialized Roubaix tape, but I haven't ridden it. It's wraps very nicely; they give you plenty; the backing is sticky but doesn't have adhesive; in short, a nice start!

boolinwall

by boolinwall

I've used the Roubaix tape as well. It's really nice.

SalsaLover

by SalsaLover

Cinelli cork first on my list

Bike Ribbon or Deda will do the job too and usually costs less
Hucken The Fard Up !
Colnagos : C50 ST01 - Master 30th AD10 - C40 Mapei WC

sideshow_bob

by sideshow_bob

Lizardskins is fabulous right up to the point you sweat on it, then it's rubbish. I like it, think it's comfortable, easy to wrap, looks trick but if you race in hot and humid conditions ... then you'll find your arms cramping as you hold on for dear life. YMMV

PharmerBob

by PharmerBob

Thanks. I'll try some cork tape. I'll check my LBS to see what they have.

kode54

by kode54

LegendRider wrote:I've given up on Cinelli because the adhesive makes a mess when trying to remove it.

I just wrapped my bars with the Specialized Roubaix tape, but I haven't ridden it. It's wraps very nicely; they give you plenty; the backing is sticky but doesn't have adhesive; in short, a nice start!

i totally agree...although the cork tape never slips on the bar and stays intact where you wrap it. i use Goo-Gone to remove it when needed. because the cork has a nice cushion to it, i don't need the use of any type of cushion material like Fizik bar cushion. since i sweat quite a bit with temps in the 90's, i never have to worry about slipping, even if i don't wear gloves to stay cool.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

Cleaner

by Cleaner

Deda Elementi foam tape is my favorite. I have used Lizard Skins DSP tape and it is tacky until it gets wet and then it is slippery especially without gloves. The Deda foam has a surface texture (porous) that maintains some friction in the presence of water and lasts a long time and most colors clean up nicely (purely aesthetic consideration).

ghostrider1tm

by ghostrider1tm

I just switched to lizard skins too. love it, highly recommend it

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com