"PRO" Cycling Discussion

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

boysa

by boysa

Agreed. Nothing much has changed since the turn of the last century.
"Deserve's got nothing to do with it." William Munny

kbbpll

by kbbpll

plpete wrote:Well, sucks for Cav. He looked very close to going down when his rear wheel lost grip and bounced up.

I noticed he hit some holes but didn't see the rear wheel until now - wow, it was like 15cm off the road.

HammerTime2 wrote:
In his podium speech., Christopher Froome wrote:This is one yellow jersey which will stand the test of time.

We shall see.

He also said in the interview when asked about doping: "[I was hopefully able to show that] the sport has changed. We as a peloton are standing together against this, and we won't stand for it any longer". I guess I have to believe it. Certainly I want to.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

savechief

by savechief

Sorry, kind of random stream of thought from me...

Froome: I want to believe that he's as good as he demonstrated the last 3 weeks
Quintana: Wow, looking forward to seeing him in future grand tours
Schleck: Top 20, but 41+ minutes behind the maillot jaune? Jeez.
Cavendish: I'll wait for Renshaw in 2014 before I write him off as over the hill
Contador: I was not expecting that kind of collapse in the last mountain stage
Hushovd: I miss him in the tour
Tommy V: Extremely quiet; in perhaps 1 or 2 breaks, but failed to deliver like the in the past few years
Kittel: He's fast; I will break you
Greipel: He's fast, but I still don't like watching him sprint
Evans: Perhaps it's time to hang it up
TJ: No more white jersey next year, you have to play with the big boys now; I really want to like him...
Ferrari: I read somewhere that he was supposed to be good and be able to challenge Cav?
Cancellara: See Hushovd
Sagan: I like his style, but definitely the 4th fastest guy in the peloton; certain stages suit him well (see stages 1 & 3 from last year)
Valverde: Would have been interesting between him and Quintana had it not been for stage 13
Belkin GC guys (Mollema & Ten Dam): Where did they go in the last week?
Last edited by savechief on Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Time VXRS Ulteam (7.16 kg)
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=120268

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

DanW wrote:Did anyone see these guys gapping over Froome, Purito and Quintana live? I have only just noticed this and certainly didn't see it on the Eurosport coverage (may have actually been working when it happened though :wink: ). Much more successful that Watson's attempt over the end of the peleton 10 years ago. Respec'

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/Video-Jumping-The-Tour-De-France-2013.html

What stage was that on? At what time?

Wingnut

by Wingnut

Interesting...

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/lelangu ... al-reasons" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Directeur sportif departs morning after the Tour de France

BMC Racing Team has announced that directeur sportif John Lelangue is leaving the squad effective immediately.

In a press release, it was said that Lelangue was departing "for personal reasons."

The announcement comes the morning after a disappointing Tour de France for BMC where Cadel Evans was the team's designated leader. The 2011 Tour de France winner finished 39th overall off the back of his third at the Giro d'Italia which was a shock last-minute addition to his schedule. Entering Evans in the Giro was said to be at the team's insistence. Fifth overall and winner of the youth classification in 2012, Tejay van Garderen also failed to live up to expectations in terms of the general classification but did manage to finish second on stage 18 to Alpe d'Huez.

Lelangue has been with BMC for the past six-and-a-half years.

"We respect John Lelangue's decision," President and General Manager Jim Ochowicz. "He will be pursuing other opportunities and challenges. We thank him for his contributions to the development of our team, and wish him the best in the future."

maquisard

by maquisard

They should have brought Hushovd to the Tour. But too many chiefs in BMC.

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

That's right, one more rider with zero form is precisely what would have saved the Tour for them...

54x11

by 54x11

maquisard wrote:They should have brought Hushovd to the Tour. But too many chiefs in BMC.

Hushovd is the biggest whinger at BMC, and that is saying something given their roster.

MarkGiardini

by MarkGiardini

Wingnut wrote:Interesting...

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/lelangu ... al-reasons" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Directeur sportif departs morning after the Tour de France

BMC Racing Team has announced that directeur sportif John Lelangue is leaving the squad effective immediately.

In a press release, it was said that Lelangue was departing "for personal reasons."

The announcement comes the morning after a disappointing Tour de France for BMC where Cadel Evans was the team's designated leader. The 2011 Tour de France winner finished 39th overall off the back of his third at the Giro d'Italia which was a shock last-minute addition to his schedule. Entering Evans in the Giro was said to be at the team's insistence. Fifth overall and winner of the youth classification in 2012, Tejay van Garderen also failed to live up to expectations in terms of the general classification but did manage to finish second on stage 18 to Alpe d'Huez.

Lelangue has been with BMC for the past six-and-a-half years.

"We respect John Lelangue's decision," President and General Manager Jim Ochowicz. "He will be pursuing other opportunities and challenges. We thank him for his contributions to the development of our team, and wish him the best in the future."

I'd say a case of jumping before he was pushed...
KWalker wrote:chill out perv dogs, homegirl is still only 17.

Antoine

by Antoine

BMC should be more successfull , having so much money and good riders.
Evans and Van Garderen didn't appeared injured or sick, I don't see any reason why they didn't make the top ten.

Some teams (Sky, Quick step, Saxo, Sojasun) are able to make riders improve and perform at their best level and others teams are not (BMC, Cofidis, Euskaltel) or depend too much on their leaders (Europcar, Lotto,FDJ, Katusha, Astana, ...).

It has probably to do with management, training, strategy, technology, ...
Brailsford would succeed in any teams I think

Wingnut

by Wingnut

I would be inclined to think that the issues with BMC are more to do with the riders racing and training regime's this year rather than their ability...so more down to a management issue.

Evans still did well in the Giro despite the late decision for him to ride and possibly Van Garderen also peaked too early by winning the TOC prior to the TDF...

airwise

by airwise

prendrefeu wrote:Please don't lop all the 'doubters' in with the 'haters'. Geez I dislike that term... it's sooo... childish.
Anyway: I don't hate him, I just don't trust Sky.

The problem here is you have no reason not to trust them other than personal prejudice based on being let down by an American.

There is more than enough information, transparency and data out there to enable you to let the personal hangups go and to enjoy the sport again. You just don't want to.

There's a whole generation of people who were foolish enough to be taken in once and who are now being overly protective of their emotions. That does not make them right.

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

Antoine wrote:Evans and Van Garderen didn't appeared injured or sick

He was.

Just doesn't chose to disclose it.

With the money Chelsea and Manchester City have they should have won the EPL title last season - but didn't. Money helps, no doubt. But is not a guarantee.

airwise wrote:There's a whole generation of people who were foolish enough to be taken in once and who are now being overly protective of their emotions. That does not make them right.

Could be one of the best posts I've seen on here in quite some time.

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

Tinea Pedis wrote:
With the money Chelsea and Manchester City have they should have won the EPL title last season - but didn't. Money helps, no doubt. But is not a guarantee.

yea sometimes money is just outclassed by quality Image

Wingnut

by Wingnut

airwise wrote:
prendrefeu wrote:Please don't lop all the 'doubters' in with the 'haters'. Geez I dislike that term... it's sooo... childish.
Anyway: I don't hate him, I just don't trust Sky.

The problem here is you have no reason not to trust them other than personal prejudice based on being let down by an American.

There is more than enough information, transparency and data out there to enable you to let the personal hangups go and to enjoy the sport again. You just don't want to.

There's a whole generation of people who were foolish enough to be taken in once and who are now being overly protective of their emotions. That does not make them right.

I think you're being a bit narrow minded to think its just one American that leaves the fans feeling pessimistic, isn't this just a normal human reaction?...the late 80's onwards have been a disappointment with regard to what we know now with EPO, from Indurain, Bugno, Chiappuci...PDM in the 90's to Riis, Ullrich, Pantani...Festina, T Mobile...etc etc etc

I for one hope Wiggins and Froome are clean but won't feel comfortable for several years to come...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com