Creaking Sram S950...

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

HeluvaSkier

by HeluvaSkier

I run S950 cranks on a lot of my bikes because I like the versatility of the BB30 version... it can fit in a traditional frame similar to Rotor or Zipp Vuma and can slip into a BB30 frame.

That said, one of mine (only with 3300 miles on it, but 4 seasons old) has recently developed quite a loud creak when under power. Through much trial and error I've isolated it to the interface between the drive side crank arm and the spider. The spider is attached to the arm with three small bolts. I've removed the entire assembly and re-greased it, and reattached it quite tightly, but the creak continues. There is some play between the spider and crank arm, but there is no sign of wear, so I cannot pinpoint if the issue is the spider or the crank arm.

Does anyone have experience with this, and if-so, what did you do to fix it?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

thencameyou

by thencameyou

I had a similar issue - my problem was that one of the Torx head bolts had cracked.

HeluvaSkier

by HeluvaSkier

I just had the whole thing apart and didn't notice any cracked bolts. Very strange. I'm considering replacing the spider to see if it makes any difference. I'm not sure if the crank or the spider would have the harder alloy...

It is certainly annoying when climbing out of the saddle though! There's no sneaking up on anyone on a climb with that bike right now...

Fatbiker

by Fatbiker

Maybe it would help if you would put some grease on the interface?

HeluvaSkier

by HeluvaSkier

Tried the grease route when I took the assembly apart... no change. Thought about using Tacx carbon assembly compound instead but didn't want to run the risk of any of it reaching the spindle and bearings.

mauiguy

by mauiguy

you should use the folowing:
Retaining Compound 638 or 680 (RC-Adhesive)
Threadlocker 242 (TL)
Note:RC 680 comes in 0.5mL vials, and is not as
viscous as 638 both perform identical.

both are locktite products. I got this information from Quarq when changing the spider from a gxp crank to BB30 if you email me I can send you a pdf with complete instructions
salomon.pete@gmail.com

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com