"PRO" Cycling Discussion

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Please don't lop all the 'doubters' in with the 'haters'. Geez I dislike that term... it's sooo... childish.
Anyway: I don't hate him, I just don't trust Sky. If anything I regard Froome with neutrality, but that's just a personal take on him and I do not hold a person's own opinion against them.

Just because a person does not agree with others to praise Froome's performance does not mean they need to be associated with those who have taken more extreme stances on the subjects brought up.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Wingnut

by Wingnut

+1

54x11

by 54x11

kbbpll wrote:
stella-azzurra wrote:KWalker will tell you it's FAKE!

I'm not sure I would care if he was doped to the gills. Double standard, yes! No testing for anyone over 40, see how that shakes things up. :)

I wouldn't be at all surprised if he pops up on the list of 1998 positives that's getting released in France next week.

cambrook

by cambrook

I wouldn't be surprised if almost any rider from 1998 popped up on that list - it's how things were. Things have changed significantly since then.

petepeterson

by petepeterson

Chicken going full hamilton interesting read.

http://velorooms.com/index.php?topic=3007

54x11

by 54x11

cambrook wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if almost any rider from 1998 popped up on that list - it's how things were.

Speculation is there will be about 28 names. Not all riders in the tours of 98 and 99 got tested, Voigt did for sure (led the mountains classification). Otherwise I agree with you that any rider had the potential to be positive back then.

cambrook wrote:Things have changed significantly since then.

Only the quantity of substances consumed.

Pharmstrong

by Pharmstrong

Did people miss this dick move by Rolland?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQ5O0ObuGo4

SvenNijs

by SvenNijs

Pharmstrong wrote:Did people miss this dick move by Rolland?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQ5O0ObuGo4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Saw that and his later dumb move of getting in the way of Froome. Not too sad that he lost the jersey....

micky

by micky

KWalker wrote:It just goes to show that when people want to like a doper the whole holier-than-thou arguments go out the window.

To be honest after the Tour I STILL do not get the Froome hate. Doping talk aside, the dude is perhaps the most level-headed, nicest, least primadonna of any of the recent Grand Tour winners. He's like Paddington Bear, but on a bike.

I agree with Prendre, it's not about hating cause Froome looks like a nice lad but due to recent past facts, it's difficult to believe strong superiority (did I mispell?!?) like at this year Tour.
Not Froome's fault, not Sky's fault (althought they came out with the "we're clean and open" media package since the beginning) but the price pro cycling has to pay for some time.

On my side, I would like to know what happened in that magic Vuelta 2011, when he was almost let go by Sky.

djconnel

by djconnel

I think people don't trust him because he looks mutant-skinny. That's okay for women but for men, it's never worked for people. Some primitive instinct the guy must be contagious.

djconnel

by djconnel

petepeterson wrote:Chicken going full hamilton interesting read.

http://velorooms.com/index.php?topic=3007

you know when you start (at a workplace) with 200 people within the next three weeks you have four broken collarbones, maybe a broken hip, you have people being hospitalised pretty much every day, and nobody in their sound mind would work in a place like that

Good stuff.

ghisallo2003

by ghisallo2003

So, if we imagine looking at a list of late 90s retrospective positives...what would be the one name that would most surprise? The name that would massively disappoint those who believe that there were at least a few clean riders out there, and cast fresh doubt on today's performances?

For me, Chris Boardman - the general belief is that he was a great, great rider, and that his achievements clean in a dirty world were remarkable. If he were to turn up positive, I think everyone would 'have to stop believing in fairies' and I would turn from cynic to absolute pessimist.

SolidSnake03

by SolidSnake03

Obree would do it for me
Looks like I made a new 90 Proof friend

boysa

by boysa

+1 Boardman. That would make me very sad.
"Deserve's got nothing to do with it." William Munny

DanW

by DanW

Did anyone see these guys gapping over Froome, Purito and Quintana live? I have only just noticed this and certainly didn't see it on the Eurosport coverage (may have actually been working when it happened though :wink: ). Much more successful that Watson's attempt over the end of the peleton 10 years ago. Respec'

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/Video-Jumping-The-Tour-De-France-2013.html

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com