2013 Trek Madone Five Series Project

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

TrekUk
Shop Owner

by TrekUk

Secondly I removed some parts from the bike to reduce weight, I understand the consequences of removing such parts but I know this wont be an issue to myself.

Finally the weight saved removing the parts. I was fortunate to find the stem cap popped back in securely and wont pop off unexpectedly....

Madone Five Series 2013
Shimano Dura-Ace 9000
Mavic Cosmic SLE 2013

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Mads Kock

by Mads Kock

Damn that frame look snappable - just did a quick google search and found this!

Fatbiker

by Fatbiker

:lol: :lol: :lol:

hornedfrog

by hornedfrog

Um... yea you might want to put that compression plug back in. Your bike needs that. It might be cool to think you can drop weight by just removing parts, but that is an integral part of the bike. Removing that can lead to may problems out on the road that could stem (ha ha) from the lack of pressure applied to your headset bearings, the possibility of your steerer tube cracking, and the possibility of your stem slipping. How do you know these wont be an issue to yourself?

plpete

by plpete

I fully understand this is weigh weenies but removing integral parts of a bike to save a few grams is just not wise and safe. If you really want to save some weight there you can look into lightweight compression plugs, top caps and bolts. Check out http://fairwheelbikes.com. You may be fine for a bit but this sort of thing is risking cracking the carbon steerer and the headset coming loose and has failure written all over it. I'm also quite sure Trek wouldn't warranty this in case of damage. I say put it back and work on your fitness. Loosing a few lbs from the gut is far more beneficial :thumbup:

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

TrekUk wrote:Secondly I removed some parts from the bike to reduce weight, I understand the consequences of removing such parts but I know this wont be an issue to myself.

bro you just went full retard.

TrekUk
Shop Owner

by TrekUk

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Not to worry it went back in the same day I removed it. :thumbup:
Madone Five Series 2013
Shimano Dura-Ace 9000
Mavic Cosmic SLE 2013

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

I would go on Fairwheel and check out the Tune Gum Gum or Extralite expander to lose some weight there....I use the stock expander to set preload and them swap out to the Gum Gum. Has suited me well for 1000s of miles without trouble.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

hasbeen

by hasbeen

guys come on...Ive removed those things many times and put thousands of miles on bikes without them. If headset comes loose during a ride then tighten it. Im not saying it's a good idea but this is weightweenies. This was common practice for us old schoolers.
Casati Vola SLi and Dolan Preffisio
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=108931" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"
btompkins0112 wrote:
It has the H2 geo......one step racier than a hybrid bike

Martin1977

by Martin1977

Compression plug is there just to adjust headset. It does not have any "safety" function. Once You adjust headset and tighten stem, You do not need compression plug anymore. I personaly would not remove it, but in about 15 years I did not need to adjust headset on road. And at home, You can use heavy compression plug that is stored somewhere in cupboard. I have Tune Gum Gum on my bike, but my mechanic advised me, that it is just cosmetic thing not really ment to be used for proper headset adjustment. He usually uses heavy compression plug to adjust headset, than tighten stem, remove it and put Gum Gum there just for really urgent moments to lightly adjust headset on road in case of fall or nasty pothole. But to be honest, If I hit such a big pothole that my stem would loosen, I think that there would be several broken parts on my 5 kg bike anyway.
So in my point of view, Gum Gum is nearly the same as removing it completely. And many of WW members use Gum Gum :wink:

jipperd

by jipperd

Come on guys keep it nice and respectful. Nobody's here to place or experience personal attacks. TS knows he could expect a reaction regarding failures due to a post in a other topic. Thanks for the understanding.

TrekUk
Shop Owner

by TrekUk

I have to agree with the above two comments, I don't believe its structural, i'm considering removing it again, id be interested in some constructive views.
Madone Five Series 2013
Shimano Dura-Ace 9000
Mavic Cosmic SLE 2013

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

I am not sure it doesn't serve a small purpose working against the pressure of the stem bolts on the steerer.... :noidea:

EDIT: That being said, I have ridden without one, or with a minimal alternative and had slippage and eventually loosening of the headset.....not worth the trouble in my estimation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

TrekUk
Shop Owner

by TrekUk

Thats a very good comment and understand the idea in the pressure against the stem, that was the origional comment that made me put it back in.
Madone Five Series 2013
Shimano Dura-Ace 9000
Mavic Cosmic SLE 2013

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

afalts

by afalts

Knew a guy with a SS Evo who never ran a plug, after a year his steerer tube was crushed slightly and Cannondale wouldn't warranty it. Everything was torqued to spec. But I've seen it work long term on other bikes, just requires adjustment once in a while if play develops.

I tried it for a while on my Foil and I could never get more than a week (300ish km) before play would develop.