record 11 right thumb shifter won't move

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

atakaoka

by atakaoka

I'm with Miller you may not notice but you are probably holding the front lever causing The hold on thumb shiffer.
cycling,a great individual sport,were you can't reach anything,whithout group effort.

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

Yes, I have had this problem and in my case it is always the operator. I rest my hands on the thumb lever just enough that it does not return completely. The rubber hood may also be holding it up too. I have the older SR and Chorus 11 and they both do it. I am putting the finishing touches on the SR EPS system and I am certain I will not have those issues.

Next time it happens, lift up on the lever, and watch it click in. Trim the hood if needed.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mr_tim

by mr_tim

From what I remember on early comments on the new shifter system, the cable end will on occasion come out from its stop end within the shifter and this will lead to the shifter blocking / Not shifting. By shifting the opposite way the end is reset into its position and normal service resumes. Not a biggie as long as you know what it is and how to fix it, happens on occasion to any number of the ultrashift units I've been running over what must be 80k+ km of shifting.

r_mutt

by r_mutt

well, it didn't jam on today's ride. i did try to move the paddle while shifting with the thumb, and yes, it didn't allow me to shift the thumb button but i can almost say with absolute certainty that in my particular instance, i am not moving the paddle accidentally while trying to shift with the thumb button. i don't believe that is the cause of my issue. perhaps mr. tim is right, and it's something to do with the cable end instead.

Bridgeman

by Bridgeman

I was looking for my post, but found that this is a new thread regarding an ongoing issue. I've had this problem. I found that my hoods are fairly worn and are now prone to rotating on the lever body as a result of grasping them with my hands. Rotation of the rubber hoods moves the cutout slot for the thumb shifter, thereby stopping it from returning fully to it resting position. Like other posters have mention; you cannot shift if the thumb shifter has not return to its resting position.

I just elongated and widened the thumb slot in the rubber hood. Haven't had a problem since. Note; This may not be the only reason why the shift mechanism is hanging up.

Tricky1

by Tricky1

I had the same problem when my 2011 SR was newer, but now it's quite rare. I called Campy N.A. and explained the issue. I was told 2 things: Check the hood alignment in relation to the thumb lever, and that while riding my hands put pressure on the shifters (thumb and finger levers) which causes the jamming. Campy told me to try shifting the opposite lever to free to jam.

I know the hoods are not a problem and my hand pressure is negligible. Honestly, if this many people are having the same issue there's a bigger problem going on. (Funny, I started a thread a couple years ago on this issue and no one had any experience with it?..)

tommasini

by tommasini

+1
Hood alignment or "user error" with regards to resting a finger on the shift paddle.

Max Gravity

by Max Gravity

For some reason my newer 11sp shifter has stopped to lock up, I can't even lock it up on purpose.
The only thing I can think of is that it has new cables after moving around shifters.

The reason for moving around was that a spring broke in my older white SR 11sp shifter, the one that press the
shift lever against the brake lever.

In Spain Campagnolo changed everything except the rubber hood and brake lever (less than 2 week it took with freight back and
forth to LBS!)
The new mechanism is the newest one and that one works flawless too.
So now I'm a bit bummed that I cant track the problem down. (not really no)

If it ever comes up again I would definitely change the cable/wire to start with.

What did you come up with r_mutt?
Max Gravity, unfairly treated by gravity!

Devon

by Devon

I have this with my 1997 Mirage kit. Seems like a design issue. Maybe try a grease?

5 8 5

by 5 8 5

@Devon
That's probably due to their age. They probably need a rebuild. The 11sp shifters have completely redesigned internals.

tommasini wrote:+1
Hood alignment or "user error" with regards to resting a finger on the shift paddle.

Agree about hood alignment fouling the path of the button.
I've also seen flash (excess material from the hood moulding) reducing the slot width. Bar tape thickness can slightly reduce the slot width as well.
If the button does not return to its home position before the lever is moved then the shifter can jam. It's easy to enlarge the slot by trimming some of the rubber away.

Devon

by Devon

Oh for sure, definitely due to age. Was just aiming to give a rounded view of all ages of the equipment, the issue is clearly an ongoing one.

ferrarista

by ferrarista

GASer wrote:Same experience with my 2012 SR. Occurs from time to time and then goes away. I tried to lub the mech under the hood with some kind of WD40.

never use WD40 lube for the shifting mechanism. Only white grease or some sort of waterproof grease. If you have experience in rebuilding shifter , you can take it apart , clean , regrease. that's it. Most of the time its easier to just replace the whole body if its still under warranty.

Tricky1 wrote:I had the same problem when my 2011 SR was newer, but now it's quite rare. I called Campy N.A. and explained the issue. I was told 2 things: Check the hood alignment in relation to the thumb lever, and that while riding my hands put pressure on the shifters (thumb and finger levers) which causes the jamming. Campy told me to try shifting the opposite lever to free to jam.

I know the hoods are not a problem and my hand pressure is negligible. Honestly, if this many people are having the same issue there's a bigger problem going on. (Funny, I started a thread a couple years ago on this issue and no one had any experience with it?..)

I've seen the same thing as what Campy NA told you. Sometimes the hood will block the travel of the thumb lever. It doesn't retract fully and can cause the locking. You can fix the problem by cutting the excess rubber of the hood with an x acto blade till there is no interference.

Second thing is user error. people that ride with their thumb on the shifter paddle. That's a bad habit.

Third, the shifter is defective and is replaced under warranty. With the new ultra shift , Campy no longer has the parts available separately , so campy now sells the body with mechanism. Its a 5 minute job. Swap the brake lever and hood and your good to go. I see more defective shifters with SR than record or chorus.
██

kbbpll

by kbbpll

Just another data point - I have had this happen, very rarely. Typically resolved by flicking the button with my thumb, which points to the hood binding. Occasionally I think I've partially moved the paddle while flicking the button. I don't recall having to actually upshift to resolve it, but it's possible I've been through that scenario too. I would guess this has happened 6-10 times over 3.5 years and ~10k miles. Being in the drops is a different story - typically that's just a bad angle on the button with my thumb. Pushing forward and down gives you the illusion that it's stuck. I don't race so it's not a concern to me. [Edit - I'm on 2010 Record]

cnbky

by cnbky

I've been on 3 different camp super record or record bikes, all 2012 onwards, 2 of them had the exact same issue.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

PSM

by PSM

CampagNOlo. ;)