The Failed Parts Thread

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

spud

by spud

The curved Ti plate tore clean off the top of the shaft...the clamp etc was all still attached to the saddle... :roll:[/quote]

Thanks. Now I understand the design flaw. Might be possible to rectify it, but Ti is never going to be forgiving of that kind of flaw.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

Alu steerer of Alan alu fork snapped while JRA in the saddle on a modest upgrade at a little under 30 kph. Bike veered diagonally across the road, fortunately with no oncoming traffic, and rode into, up and over a curb, across a sidewalk, and crashed on an upward sloping lawn, just short of a tree. Not fun.

quattrings

by quattrings

Was stripping down an old bicycle today that I got for free. The bike sat for 28 years so tires, bar tape and hoods were a bit crunchy.
I was just gonna take of the handlebars and noticed a hairline crack in the quill stem.
Untitled by Quattrings, on Flickr

I decided to see what force it would take to break it, so I hopped aboard and tugged it like a sprinting madman.

Untitled by Quattrings, on Flickr

I wasn't able to break the bolt however so the bars did stay attached.

BeeBee30

by BeeBee30

I'm sure 3t will warranty that :D
Ti or dye!

The Weenie formally known as CAADHEAD

Kermithimself

by Kermithimself

Cjcc67 wrote:A titanium bolt snapped on my 3T ARX stem, it was not over torqued. A search after the fact revealed this is common.

Same happened to me. First time installation, used a torque wrench. Bolt snapped.
------------
If you dream of being famous - think of what birds do to statues.
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/kermithimself/
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdCPaXwpeXT_LpuEF0REjqw
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/gotlegscycling/

Rush

by Rush

Snapped the body of my Time RXS pedals

carbonLORD
in the industry

by carbonLORD

Selle Italia Flite Ti rail popped out of the thermoplastic body (mid 90's).
Syncross road Quill stem cracked at the quill above the headset collar, thats a lotta torque over time, (mid 90's).
Syncros Ti seat post bent in half, (on Cannondale Super V after a seated landing from a 3 foot bunny hop, mid 90's)
White Industry road Hub cracked rear axle during TOMRV 24 and stayed held together by a Salsa flip off skewer, made one helluva rotational squeaky noise for the last 40 miles (mid 90's).
Mavic CX 117 first SUP rim, laced to Purple Ringle hubs (MID 90's!) would break spokes left and right till it was replaced by a set of Blue Ringle/HED MTB wheels, only wheel I ever broke spokes on, (mid 90's).

So you could say the mid 90's produced a few sh*t parts.

Anything else I ever broke was due to not having a torque wrench, (bolts and such, nothing major).
carbonLORD.com

kbbpll

by kbbpll

In summer 2010 I let a visitor borrow my spare road bike and near the end of the ride he blew the rear derailleur off. I went back and found the parts on the road. We put it back together and it works fine again. 1980 Campagnolo Nuevo Gran Sport.

I realize this is a "failed parts" thread but I had to tell the story. Truly, it wasn't a parts failure, but a mechanic failure. I hadn't checked the bolts in 20 years or so.

kac

by kac

C-4 wheel hubs (front and rear a couple of times) and Look Keo-Blades (cracked near the axle but immediately replaced without question by Competitive Cyclist)

Maximilian

by Maximilian

I got a new one today...

The steerer on my beloved Slice Si has cracked and delaminated on both the front and back. It has always been torqued to spec. I guess its a combination of harsh road conditions and age. It seems the shim for my Syntace F149 has also marked to steerer.

Shit happens.

Getting an Enve 1.0 :twisted:

quattrings

by quattrings

good thing you caught that. Did you notice on some level that something was off?

This is the carbon slice by Time right?

Maximilian

by Maximilian

My headset came loose one ride, I tightened it up, happened again. I then thought the expander had slipped up so took the stem off and noticed the crack.

Good thing too as I'm marauding the Alps from Friday.

It is a Time made fork, which is a real shame as it is really light, stiff and ride wonderfully, not to mention the beautiful construction.

Maximilian

by Maximilian

sanddancer

by sanddancer

Ouch.

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

Maximilian wrote:I got a new one today...

The steerer on my beloved Slice Si has cracked and delaminated on both the front and back. It has always been torqued to spec. I guess its a combination of harsh road conditions and age. It seems the shim for my Syntace F149 has also marked to steerer.

Shit happens.

Getting an Enve 1.0 :twisted:

I think the torque wrench is your enemy in this case.
I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com