Which wheels for my new project?

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Kupepe

by Kupepe

Hello,

I finally managed to get hold of a NOS 1982 Colnago Super with just just cosmetic wear. I am planning to make a modern build with 10 spd Campagnolo Veloce set with Ultrashift gearshifters and Ultratorque crankset, 3T stem, seatpost, handlebars and a San Marco Regale saddle.

For wheels I am thinking of making a handbuilt set with :

Ambrosio Zenith Hubs
Ambrosio Nemesis Rims
Sapim CX-Ray Spokes

with 32/36 spokes front/rear wheel. My budget is 400-500 Euros max and the other 2 options I have is

Flo 30 Wheelset (Clydesdale 28/28 spokes) (so hard to get a pair ... orders finish in 2-3 mins when preorder is open)

Campagnolo Zonda 2013 (18/21 spokes) (low count for my size?)

I am using a set of DA C24 on the bike I use now. I weight 93 kilos and i am 1.92 m

My question is should I go a custom wheelset or a factory set ?

I am doing 70-120 km weekend rides with friends to keep fit for 200-300 audaxes we are doing.

I would like the bike to be able to climb ... we got 2 audaxes with 3200m and 4000m in 2 months ...

NealH

by NealH

I doubt that you can have a set built that performs as well as the C24', at the same approx. weight. The C24 has no weight limit, comes in at 1400g or just under and is likely more areo than the typical box rim wheel since it has fewer spokes. In addition the C24's ride great and have a remarkably light rim so they are at home in the mountains.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Kupepe

by Kupepe

thanx for the reply.

the thing is that the C24s are not an option since the new frame is with Campy dropouts so my choice has to be among the three mentioned above...

HillRPete

by HillRPete

Are you looking for a tubular or clincher? Flo seems clincher-only as opposed to your other options.

If clincher, I'm thinking a Pacenti PL23 or H plus SON TB14 based build would go well with the frame.

Kupepe

by Kupepe

Well tubular gives u peace of mind with the juice in it ... but I can go either way .

Cheers!

by Cheers!

Classic Italian bike demands Italian parts.

I would go with Campagnolo Record hubs 32h front and rear with silver CX-ray spokes and then an all silver rim of your choice.

Kupepe

by Kupepe

So ... everything is on the frame ... just looking for that last part .. the wheels ...

The choices are :

Flo 30s (Clydesdale)
Ambrosio Nemesis with Record Hubs and DT Swiss Double or Triple Butted spokes (silver)
Campagnolo Neutron Ultra

One week till decision is made and cash gone :) budget 500 euros ...

Geoff

by Geoff

Go with the Nemesis. That is the right 'look' for the bike.

Btw, the manufacturer of the dropout has no bearing on wheel choice.

BxEddie

by BxEddie

You should go with the Nemesis and Campa Record 32h hubs.
Two times crossed front and three times crossed at the back wheel.
But do not use cx or cx-ray. Because of the spoke length (298/300 at the back wheel) the wheel will not be stiff enough.
D-lite at the front and back left side and race at the drive side will give you a perfect result and a classy look.

BxEddie

by BxEddie

Zakalwe

by Zakalwe

I'd go with the Ambrosio/Record, currently building that combo for myself as well. Aero spokes on a rim like that are probably an unnecessary added expense though so I'd choose whatever gauge of round spoke that suits your weight best.

kgt

by kgt

Ambrosio / Record and tubular rims.

Tamu8104

by Tamu8104

^^^^
That!!
Firefly Ti Road Disc
Firefly Ti Gravel Disc
Rock Lobster Team Tig SL Disc
Santa Cruz Blur 2019
Gaulzetti Cabron Disc (Retired to the Kickr after an accident)

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Yup. Agree with last two posts. But use round spokes. DT comps all round or DT Revs on NDS only. Silver, with brass nipples. Just nicer IMO on a build like that. Also, I just prefer the look of a 3 cross, both sides pattern.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Geoff

by Geoff

Build 'em with Sapim CX Rays (if you want to build a super strong wheel, run CX on the drive side) and you can run them on your 'regular' bike as 'pave' wheels, too.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com