Show me Your Tuning!

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

TimmS

by TimmS

@ shimmeD

What's left after the microtex is removed is just a very thin layer which would not hold up.
I use the eyelets because carbon fibres can be sharp, without eyelest the laces would tear.

@ dereksmalls

The shoes are very stiff, I think it would be possible to ride them without laces!
And off course I have a pair of old shimano's for rainy days...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

shimmeD

by shimmeD

Thanks TimmS, you've inspired me to firstly think about further modifications to my Bonts. Just need another pair of shoes before I rip into them.
Less is more.

weeracerweenie

by weeracerweenie

TimmS that is seriously cool, i take it you have seen Adam Hanseens shoes? i forget his username on here but he has a similar idea to yours!
I guess there's worse hobbies than making a bike light? Right?

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

Yep. That was Zakeen and he still races wearing his self made shoes.

Ciao, ;)
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

andreszucs
in the industry

by andreszucs

Homemade carbon Seatpost looking promising (carbon cradle also).
104+12g yokes = 116g at 34.9mm and 12" total length.

weeracerweenie

by weeracerweenie

Can we have some more detail of the cradle and how you made the post andrezucs?

andreszucs
in the industry

by andreszucs

weeracerweenie wrote:Can we have some more detail of the cradle and how you made the post andrezucs?

Still haven't tried the post yet. Still waiting on the Yokes. Once I try and 'survive' I'll be back to tell the end story! :thumbup:

QuinnTO

by QuinnTO

Andreszucs, where did you get the hardware for the seat clamp?

I have a ~260 g post I got for $30 and have been very interested in doing this. I haven't gotten to use my dremel on enough bike parts yet.

andreszucs
in the industry

by andreszucs

QuinnTO wrote:Andreszucs, where did you get the hardware for the seat clamp?

I have a ~260 g post I got for $30 and have been very interested in doing this. I haven't gotten to use my dremel on enough bike parts yet.

Ebay for the yokes and bolts
yokes:271185641624
bolts:370849308430

Cradle was custom made. I had a carbon tube in my garage, cut in half and made the slots. Working so far!
Pin connector, I found a 3/8 Aluminum rod at home depot...after some art work it worked like a charm!

QuinnTO

by QuinnTO

Thanks a lot. Finding a place to buy the connector pin was the real issue. I was planning on trimming the post anyway, and using the excess to create the cradle. Looks like I might have to break out more than the dremel to make the connector pin though. What did you use?

andreszucs
in the industry

by andreszucs

QuinnTO wrote:Thanks a lot. Finding a place to buy the connector pin was the real issue. I was planning on trimming the post anyway, and using the excess to create the cradle. Looks like I might have to break out more than the dremel to make the connector pin though. What did you use?

Funny.....I was exactly with the same questions a couple of weeks ago, I even created this desperate post looking for help:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=117321

Tired of searching I walked into home depot and found my solution! :) $5 for 40" 3/8 rod.

take a look at the final result:

But learn from my mistakes: when you drill the rod, make it as a slot so the bolt have room to change angle, not only 90 degrees, you will probably need to have that adjustment when installing with the saddle.

As pictured, very good weight for a 34.9 post. BUT! I would add a reinforcement extra tube inside at the head, from bolt to cradle to make sure the carbon can withstand the amount of pressure when tightening bolts. So far mine is ok, but I have noticed a small gap under the connector pin with mean the carbon is suffering a little bit to hold the pressure. Make sure to have something SAFE at the and.
:thumbup:

weeracerweenie

by weeracerweenie

andreszucs wrote:
QuinnTO wrote:Andreszucs, where did you get the hardware for the seat clamp?

Ebay for the yokes and bolts
yokes:271185641624
bolts:370849308430

Cradle was custom made. I had a carbon tube in my garage, cut in half and made the slots.

I found with my cradles (which i could do for 6.5 grams) the tube i was using was prone to snapping once loaded as the pressure split it in half, the thickness your using seems plenty strong though. something to consider...

1spd

by 1spd

It appears that the lower piece you made was out of aluminum. That being said, the one that came on one of my posts (can't recall if it was the KCNC or my Hylix) actually has the bottom of it milled out to create a "U" shaped groove down the middle of it. Great build none the less.
Cannondale Synapse (alu)...it works

lechat

by lechat

If you countersink the holes in your pin and round off the bottom edges of the bolt head, the bolts will be under less strain and the yokes will ride on your rails better. Also, when you drill the post, angle the holes so the pin is perpendicular to the ground.

andreszucs
in the industry

by andreszucs

Just did another modification using a BlackOps seatpost: http://kbcyclewerks.com/wp-content/uplo ... tpos11.jpg

Before: Original weight for 27.2/350mm on my scale was 190g.
Stock tube
Stock craddle
Stock Yokes
Stock Pin
Ti Bolts

Major modification: Head was chopped (titanium hardware around and inside)...and I added an extra carbon tube inside the make it thicker before drilling, I used an leftover tip of Zipp Vuka extension bar and fitted just perfect inside! I used epoxy for maximum bonding.

AFTER: 146g
tube after mod: 104g
homemade craddle (carbon): 12g
China yokes: 12g
Homemade pin: 10g
same bolts:8g

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com