Bont shoes

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

rkristensen

by rkristensen

I'm looking into buying the new Bont Vaypor plus and have a question about problems with knee pain I have suffered from in the past.

Basically the only brand that i dont get knee pain from is Specialized, but i think their shoes are to narrow so i would like to try the Vaypor.

I've got some cleat wedges like this http://www.bikefit.com/p-7-8-pack-look-cleat-wedges.aspx

Does any of you know how many i have to put under each shoe to get the same tilt as Sepcialized Body Geometri?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

JackWalk

by JackWalk

CharlesM wrote:They don't look much for ventilation... That would be my sticking point.

As for other customs, I pretty much love D2...

Wiggins wore them at last years tour

MattSoutherden

by MattSoutherden

rkristensen wrote:I'm looking into buying the new Bont Vaypor plus and have a question about problems with knee pain I have suffered from in the past.

Basically the only brand that i dont get knee pain from is Specialized, but i think their shoes are to narrow so i would like to try the Vaypor.

I've got some cleat wedges like this http://www.bikefit.com/p-7-8-pack-look-cleat-wedges.aspx

Does any of you know how many i have to put under each shoe to get the same tilt as Sepcialized Body Geometri?

I think Spec shoes just have a forefoot tilt built into the last. You can replicate that by using the Spec in-shoe wedges. Just trim them to match the shape of the Bont insole.
Snacking on carrot sticks - Where did it all go so wrong?
-
Finsbury Park CC

by 113245

If I set the shoes down with cleats flat on the table (speedplays), it looks to me like there's a 1-2 deg tilt similar to that of the specialized shoes. I could be wrong though.

Lucas1234

by Lucas1234

I am considering the original laced bont zero shoes. I was wondering how the fits is. I am a 45A and I currently have giro empires which have a little to much volume for my taste.

dale79

by dale79

I purchased some bonts a week ago, after heat moulding the fit is pretty good, but at the back of the shoe it keeps digging in around the top of my heel, I've heated and tried to stretch it out with no luck.. Hope with a little more work it will come good

coloclimber

by coloclimber

A good soaking in a long rain ride did more for my Bont's fitting well than the 2nd and 3rd heat moldings.
-Deacon Doctor Colorado Slim

L84AD8

by L84AD8

Bought a pair of Vaypor WCE two days ago, (wanted the normal white, but the local importer only had white/pink or WCE in my size..)

Molded them last night, right foot 3 times, left foot twice, took a quick spin on the trainer, was a bit strange feeling in the beginning, but after a few km, my feet started to feel at home, tried to put some power down and the comfort really shined! at the end of a 45 mins session my feet never felt so comfortable in a pair of cycling shoes before.

Re. sizing, I took very precise measurements (actually used a vernier caliper) following the instructions on Bont's site, went to the importer, tried on 3 pairs, the Bont suggested size, 1 size bigger and 1 size smaller, and finally settled on the recommended size which gave me about 3mm spacing in front of the longest toe on the longer foot.

Hope to give them a proper spin on the weekend to see how they perform in the real world.. cheers! :beerchug:

micky

by micky

coloclimber wrote:A good soaking in a long rain ride did more for my Bont's fitting well than the 2nd and 3rd heat moldings.

Sorry for the OT, but been ages since seeing your posts or did I just miss them?

ultyguy

by ultyguy

Ok, Bont measurements put me in a 44 narrow. I've tried a 44 regular and even with those, the aggressive slant after the longest toes is too much for my foot and rubs the ends of my 3rd and 4th toes. Although I can't try them on before buying, is it worth trying to go with a 44 Wide and then mould up the spare room around the rest of the foot?

Anyone have experiences buying Wide and then shinking?

Fwiw- I'm a 44.5 Sidi which always seems to work but I crave more power transfer.

SolidSnake03

by SolidSnake03

Not to try and turn you away from Bont but since you said Sidi works for you have you considered the Sidi Wire? I rode a pair for a bit and they were extremely stiff The sole was as hard as anything from Bont and the upper was fair firm as well, granted not a carbon bath tube but still pretty solid. I feel like the possible tiny loss of power transfer wouldn't be worth it if your shoes don't feel good...

In comparison, the Sidi Wire's felt much more solid/stiff like a pair of Bont's than the Specialized S-works 2013 that were more like slippers or socks.
Looks like I made a new 90 Proof friend

ultyguy

by ultyguy

Cool, will hunt the end of season sales for a pair of them then...

WMW
in the industry

by WMW

ultyguy wrote:Ok, Bont measurements put me in a 44 narrow. I've tried a 44 regular and even with those, the aggressive slant after the longest toes is too much for my foot and rubs the ends of my 3rd and 4th toes. Although I can't try them on before buying, is it worth trying to go with a 44 Wide and then mould up the spare room around the rest of the foot?

I have the same toe issue. I just got some A3s on closeout. Measuring put me at a 42.5W or 44 regular. I split the difference and got a 43, which was way to short for my middle toe. So I ordered 44.5 and will see...

I'm guessing the problem for you also is length, so I wouldn't go wider. If the width feels ok in the rest of your foot, just go longer... probably a 45 narrow.
formerly rruff...

WMW
in the industry

by WMW

So I get the 43s and they are way too small. Get the 44.5s and they are much larger... probably too big. Depends on if I can shrink them a little.

I happen to take the insoles out and notice that the 44.5 has "10.5" written on the shoe. That's cool... must be the US size. I take the 43's insole out and it says "8"... but it should be a 9 right? Because that is the size that corresponds to size 43. I can totally believe it is an 8 (or 42), because it is tiny. Was there a screw up somewhere?
formerly rruff...

Wookieopolis

by Wookieopolis

My 42.5 bonts say 8.5 in them. :noidea: For me they fit like most other 42.5 shoes. Sounds like there may have been a mix up with the "43".

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com