Help me spend my money - 29er full rigid weightweenie build

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

texmex

by texmex

OK, just finished BCBR so my Epic Sworks is up for sale and need to build a new cross country machine for my local flatlands. Budget is around 7,000usd in US Prices and shooting for sub 7.5kgs.

Frame - Open Cycles 1.1, Yeti ARC Carbon, Niner Air 9 RDO
Wheels - ZTR Race Gold, lightweight build??? been looking in r2-bike.com at options

Grupset XX1 ... maybe combining it with some lightweight cranks - suggestions?

Brakes - Formula r1R

Probably going for a Niner RDO fork. Any other suggestions?

Martin.F

by Martin.F

Frame: I'm sure all of those are great frames. Personally I like the Open the best.
Wheels: Light-bicycle rims with your hubs of choise. Don't bother with the race gold, they only have low weight and low price to their advantage.
Groupset: You can buy pretty much any crank you want and just put on some Wolftooth rings.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ratherbeintobago

by ratherbeintobago

DT 180 hubs on the wheels?

limba

by limba

Local flatlands meaning go fast bike? You better check to make sure the chainring size you want will fit your frame. It would suck if the biggest ring you could use was a 32.
I'd get a Flash or Scott frame. A Ritchey/Syncros fork. XX1 and awesome wheels.

roybatty666

by roybatty666

I have a single speed A9C and some RDO forks arriving Monday (currently on some Rebas)

KCNC Stem and Seat post
MtZoom carbon bars
SRAM XO carbon cranks and absoloute black spider-less chainring
Tune/crest/DT

With the Niner forks fitted she should be about 16.5lbs / 7.5kg

The wheels came from starbike and are awesome at 1410g they are pretty damn light stiffer than the race light wheels you mentioned for not much more weight and something I would highly recommend

The RDO frame is even lighter than the A9C and has slightly thinner tubes but running singlespeed I like the A9C, both are stunning bikes.

Do it do it hard :lol:

texmex

by texmex

This below is what I am looking at right now ...

Brand Weight Cost
OPEN 1.1 990 $2,500
Niner RDO Fork with 15m maxle 630 $680
Easton EC90 Stem 119 $200
Easton EC90 SL Riser Handlebar 130 $60
Extralite Foam Grips 60 $20
Thomson Masterpiece seatpost 200 $100
Carbon SLR copy 100 $70
Formula R1Racing Brakes 550 $550
Scrub Workhorse 140 $300
Extralite Hubs+ZTRCrest Rims 1,330 $1,400
Schwalbe Furious Fred 800 $180
Stans 60 $10
ZIPP QR - Rear Only 35 $80
Headset 70 $120
XX1 Groupo 1,525 $1,200 (need to get some xx1 gxp cranks that will work with the frame ...)

TOTAL 6,739 $7,470

texmex

by texmex

Limba - yeah here we do cross country in fire roads for the most part so a good rigid light bike is an amazing advantage. I checked and the Open frame can handle 38 tooth with an XX1 set-up. I will look into the syncros fork and see if I like it better than the Niner.

limba

by limba

I've got a 38 tooth/XX1 set up on my bike. You're going to love it!

Varaxis

by Varaxis

Open or Swift frame

Since it's rigid, I'd recommend Enve things in most spots, as their "ride feel" is second to none (high on compliance and vibration damping), and at this price range, you're mostly paying for intangible things like a nice ride feel.

If you like the Niner fork, consider the On-One fork. It's a better value, so maybe that'll allow you to possibly allocate some funds for other things, such as Enve rims. Crest rims, yuck. Whiskey fork isn't a bad choice either.

Hollowgram crank is always a fine choice, as long as it's a BB30 frame. Open is BBright (with its own Rotor crank and BB) and Swift is PF30. Personally I like XTR cranks. Can stick on some cheap and lightweight Race Face NarrowWides on them too, if you get the 104 BCD triple version, along with the Praxis Works PF30 to Shimano BB. Wouldn't be surprised if you need a 36-38T chainring with your 1x setup.

If you're going XX1, you need to make sure the rear hub is XD compatible. I9 Torch is pretty blingy, and the American Classic Race wheelset is a top tier wheelset, though I do recommend going with Enve, CX-Ray/Aerolite, with your choice of hubs. Anything goes for front, with the Extralite being a very lightweight choice, but the rear might require some contemplating.

Ashima Ai2 are good lightweight rotors that are really cheap. Can get a pair for $40, and they're under 60g each I believe.

Specialized Renegades are a lot cheaper than those Furious Freds, though I can't say for sure how they compare as I haven't ridden Freds.

Should get some comfy contact points, like maybe ESI grips. Your call on the saddle. Specialized saddles rate pretty highly lately.

texmex

by texmex

Varaxis - some good insight there. Really liked the Swift frame, of which I was unaware of it's existence, although I cant find a dealer in the US online. Enves are highly recommended by everone ... need to think about rims a bit more. I already have a set of Ashima Ai2, they are 68grams each and I already own the srubs (55 grams) as wells so might as well use them. I've used both renegades and furious freds, for open fire roads prefer the furious freds by far and have had bad experience with renegades (a pro friend of mine only uses renegades and has had only good experience with them). Furious Freds are also lighter at 360grams than Renegades at 470grams.

justaute

by justaute

Is SwiftCarbon the one? If so, there seems to be a SwiftCarbon USA in Atlanta. The sales manager's name is Chance Regina.

http://www.swiftcarbon.com/dealers/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Varaxis

by Varaxis

Was mainly just trying to emphasize that ride feel is something worth putting money into. Was also trying to fit such into your budget, seeing how you had a few expensive things listed that I wasn't sure was worth the cost. I would suggest a XTR hub on the front, but I think I'm one of the few that would find a 140g hub worth considering over a 75 or 100g one, just for that legendary XTR smooth spinning feel (some are even buying up such "ride feel" on the road side, with Gokiso hubs). That and they're centerlock, which is an inconvenience to most and adapters are extra weight (I think is a superior design over ISO/6-bolt anyways). Foam grips often tear the moment you fall over sideways and dig your handlebars into the ground and I think the feel of ESI grips is worth the weight. I had a good experience on my Ai2 rotors. Put them on the rear on two bikes are and quiet and stop/slow down well with good level of modulation with stock Shimano and Avid brake pads. I personally hate noisy bikes, so I often pick accordingly, such as that Praxis BB conversion for the PF30.

Don't forget quality cables. Gore discontinued their cables. Can maybe try out Yokozuna cable housing and shift cables. They're pretty well regarded on the road side of things, as good cables transmit really sharp and responsive feel. Again, the feel of things really improves the ride experience more than many seem to realize.

texmex

by texmex

Sooooo the frame and parts just arrived! I will start building tomorrow and hopefully have it ready for a big race this weekend.

This is what the build should look and weight ... I will try to document with pics and real weights as much as possible.

Brand Weight
OPEN 1.1 990
Niner RDO Fork 630
Easton EC90 Stem 119
Easton EC90 SL Riser Handlebar 140
Extralite Foam Grips 60
Thomson Masterpiece seatpost 197
Saddle - Carbon SLR copy 90
Formula R1Racing Brakes 500
Scrub Workhorse Discs 140
Indsutry Nine wheelset 1,520
Schwalbe Furious Fred 800
Stans 60
ZIPP Quick Release - Rear Only 35
Headset 70
XX1 Groupo 1,525

TOTAL 6,876

texmex

by texmex

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

texmex

by texmex

I am not being smart enough to insert images and the link to picasa didn't work.

Here is the link to the boring pics coming out of the box

https://plus.google.com/photos/11178671 ... 9339229537