Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Blog NEW Galleries NEW FAQ Contact About
It is currently Sun May 29, 2016 10:57 am
Recently the board software has been updated and there are some known bugs/failures:
- Avatars are currently not being displayed ✔ FIXED
- Tapatalk connection is currently broken ✔ FIXED

If you find more errors please post it here: http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=139062


All times are UTC+01:00





Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:33 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:04 pm
Posts: 54
About to install my first set of PF 30 cranks.

The cups and bearings were installed in the frame (Cdale Super Six) when I got it, so I'm going to use them.

I bought a Specialized S-Works crank which has the Hirth joint.

Read the instructions, did some net research, but I have a question.

It appears the arms are supposed to slide into the bearings (same way an external BB Shimano crank axle slides through).

How tight a fit should I expect here? How do I get them to slide through- I don't see using a rubber hammer to whack the carbon arms. Will the bolt catch and pull them through?

More importantly, how to I remove them?
I will need to remove and install them fairly frequently as i have 2 spiders for them (one for road, one for a single ring for hillclimbs)


Bonus question: Using Campy 11sp levers with Shimano XTR rear derailleur. Neither the frame nor the rear derailleur have provision for adjustment. What are my options here?

Any experiences replies appreciated.


Top
   
PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:49 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:38 pm
Posts: 1535
Location: Welland, Ontario
Quote:
Bonus question: Using Campy 11sp levers with Shimano XTR rear derailleur. Neither the frame nor the rear derailleur have provision for adjustment. What are my options here?


Is this a joke of some kind?

_________________
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM


Top
   
PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:00 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:04 pm
Posts: 54
bikerjulio wrote:
Quote:
Bonus question: Using Campy 11sp levers with Shimano XTR rear derailleur. Neither the frame nor the rear derailleur have provision for adjustment. What are my options here?


Is this a joke of some kind?


No, why would it be?

Campy 11 speed lever + non dynasis shimano rear derailleur= works perfectly with Shimano 9 speed wheel/cassette. I'm using the XTR because I need a 34 tooth large cog because it is a hillclimb bike


Top
   
PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:13 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:33 am
Posts: 6
Location: South Carolina
Put the crank arms in a freezer for a bit that way you wont have to hammer on them as much (the spindle should shrink a little).

_________________
If Frogs Had Wheels They Wouldn't Steal Bicycles.


Top
   
PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:20 am 
Offline
Shop Owner

Joined: Sat Jun 13, 2009 4:02 am
Posts: 1980
Location: NoVA/DC
specialized cranks usually will slide or wiggle in without much fuss, but if it's tight, put it in the freezer. in the end, a plastic faced mallet is no problem either. the bolt will pull it together too.
to take it off, loosen the bolt and wiggle one arm out, then the other.
for the shifter/derailleur, personally i'd use a non-shadow type rear derailleur, as it tracks the cogs closer, shifting is better in a road application. if you stick with the derailleur you have, inline barrel adjusters are everywhere. Jagwire makes a bunch, their most recent one holds 4mm housing without end caps and is especially small and functional. Shimano makes one similar, which is even better as it is unlikely to accidentally wind down. there is also a plug-in type by Jagwire that goes into a housing stop, as long as there is clearance for the barrel itself.
Image
Image
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:34 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:04 pm
Posts: 54
thisisatest wrote:
specialized cranks usually will slide or wiggle in without much fuss, but if it's tight, put it in the freezer. in the end, a plastic faced mallet is no problem either. the bolt will pull it together too.
to take it off, loosen the bolt and wiggle one arm out, then the other.
for the shifter/derailleur, personally i'd use a non-shadow type rear derailleur, as it tracks the cogs closer, shifting is better in a road application. if you stick with the derailleur you have, inline barrel adjusters are everywhere. Jagwire makes a bunch, their most recent one holds 4mm housing without end caps and is especially small and functional. Shimano makes one similar, which is even better as it is unlikely to accidentally wind down. there is also a plug-in type by Jagwire that goes into a housing stop, as long as there is clearance for the barrel itself.
Image
Image
Image


Thank you


Top
   
PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:48 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:38 pm
Posts: 1535
Location: Welland, Ontario
bobqzzi wrote:
bikerjulio wrote:
Quote:
Bonus question: Using Campy 11sp levers with Shimano XTR rear derailleur. Neither the frame nor the rear derailleur have provision for adjustment. What are my options here?


Is this a joke of some kind?


No, why would it be?

Campy 11 speed lever + non dynasis shimano rear derailleur= works perfectly with Shimano 9 speed wheel/cassette. I'm using the XTR because I need a 34 tooth large cog because it is a hillclimb bike


My apologies. I had not thought this would work. Not sure what the question was here
Quote:
Neither the frame nor the rear derailleur have provision for adjustment. What are my options here?
. What kind of adjustment?

_________________
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM


Top
   
PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:40 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2004 8:24 pm
Posts: 1750
Location: Houston, Texas
alorast wrote:
Put the crank arms in a freezer for a bit that way you wont have to hammer on them as much (the spindle should shrink a little).
The spindles for our Hollowgram SRM's were way to tight such that even after and hour in the freezer, tapping them in still displaced the bearing from the other side. My solution was a trial and error process in which I used a cordless drill to spin the spindle like a lathe and using fine grade Emory cloth, I sprayed water and wet polished the spindle to reduce the diameter a few microns until the spindle could be inserted sans rubber mallet.

_________________
Michael - The Anaerobic Threshold is neither...


Top
   
PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:55 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:28 pm
Posts: 206
Location: Palm Coast, Fl.
ms6073 wrote:
alorast wrote:
Put the crank arms in a freezer for a bit that way you wont have to hammer on them as much (the spindle should shrink a little).
The spindles for our Hollowgram SRM's were way to tight such that even after and hour in the freezer, tapping them in still displaced the bearing from the other side. My solution was a trial and error process in which I used a cordless drill to spin the spindle like a lathe and using fine grade Emory cloth, I sprayed water and wet polished the spindle to reduce the diameter a few microns until the spindle could be inserted sans rubber mallet.


Can of compressed air upside down so that it gets cold fast will freeze the spindle in seconds. This way you can forgo the cloth and it will go on with the mallet just fine. :thumbup:


Top
   
PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:06 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2004 8:24 pm
Posts: 1750
Location: Houston, Texas
shoemakerpom2010 wrote:
Can of compressed air upside down so that it gets cold fast will freeze the spindle in seconds. This way you can forgo the cloth and it will go on with the mallet just fine. :thumbup:
I left the spindle in the freezer overnight and it still pushed the bearing out of the other side during install but after I 'polished' our spindles, a light coat of grease and they go in by hand.

_________________
Michael - The Anaerobic Threshold is neither...


Top
   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:08 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:56 pm
Posts: 1138
Location: Canada
If you use the freezing method you still face the same problem if you ever have to remove the crank. A light sanding with 600 wet solves everything forever.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 4 Beta

_________________
My RCA


Top
   
PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 4:51 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:04 pm
Posts: 54
Got it together and apart a few times. Does require a hammer,but it sets up pretty easy


Top
   
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 

   Similar Topics   Author   Replies   Views   Last post 
There are no new unread posts for this topic. Stylish, Modern bike builders in Europe?

[ Go to page: 1 2 3 ]

in Road

cdtf

32

2464

Mon Nov 23, 2015 7:13 pm

fignonsbarber View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Who Knows About BB30?

in Road

Valbrona

3

607

Mon Aug 24, 2015 4:39 pm

Cleaner View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. First Build: Advice Needed

in Road

GaryOS

6

521

Thu Jul 23, 2015 12:29 pm

GaryOS View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. New wheels, but information needed?

in Road

PLuKE

6

471

Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:10 am

iliedanila View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Build Etiquette Help Needed

in Road

mnmasotto

6

609

Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:51 pm

mnmasotto View the latest post


All times are UTC+01:00


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], bomber, phlip, Yahoo [Bot] and 14 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Limited