Upgrade Garmin 705 to 810 - thoughts?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

G6612

by G6612

I am thinking about upgrading my 705 to the 810, I think I would really like the wireless upload to garmin connect and the Bluetooth to my iPhone. Can anyone give their thoughts and experience if this is worth while?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

From my experience, the 810 is a good cycle computer. I've had mine since it came out. It's on its 5th or 6th software update, as Garmin keeps updating to fix issues. The only issue I had at the beginning was that the actual app wasn't uploading to Garmin Connect, but Garmin has since fixed that.

Yes, there are compaints: the screen could have better resolution, the device could be lighter, the charge could be longer (12 hours vs. 20+ on my 500). However, all things being equal, I like the quality and construction, and it does the job.

Clubagreenie

by Clubagreenie

Hey mate ,
I went from the 705 to the 810 about 5 months ago and love it. Personally I find it a lot user friendly compared to the 705 ... the 705 has better screen for view than the 810 .
I don't know if it was just my 810 / 705 experience ... the 810 uploads onto Strava and Garmin way faster !!!
The out front mount is sweet too.
2012 KUOTA KOM Team Edition Campag SR11 .....My mistress
2012 RIDLEY HELIUM being built up ....

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

I have a 705 and just bought a 800. I was not interested in the extras the 810 had. The screen is terrible and that is about it. Some of the download procedures are different so you will have to get used to that.

hamishf

by hamishf

I lost my 500 and replaced it with an 810. The 810 has all the bells and whistles but I still miss my 500- if I couldn't find another one cheap I'd probably buy it and use it more. I can't get my 810 to upload to strava, not that I've tried that hard but it was a breeze with the 500. I've only used the bluetooth functions on the 810 for novelty value really. The mapping and navigation function on the 810 is pretty good but if you're carrying a smart phone around as well, you're going to have that function in any case. In Australia at least, the 180 ships with the most basic maps, it's probably similar elsewhere, so you're going to have to buy a micro sd card with maps or follow the dc rainmaker instructions (which work perfectly).

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

you won't be able to upload from anywhere to Strava after they moved to the new API on 7/1. Strava practically eliminated all outside programs from uploading to it, effectively forcing you to either use the Strava app while you ride, or manually uploading your ride from the .tcx or .gpx file to Strava.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com