Pedals for a dodgy ankle.

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

NoiseBoy

by NoiseBoy

Hi All,

I have a pair of Time iClic 2 Racer Red pedals but I have aggravated an old motorcycling injury in my right ankle and now when I twist outwards with enough force to un-clip it is extremely painful. I have been forced to use my old Shimano SPD pedals and shoes on the road bike but they aren't as solid and weigh as much as my right arm. Any suggestions on either A: modifying the cleat or pedal to reduce the effort or angle required to release or B: a reasonably priced set of pedals that have the design or adjustment available for an easier release?

There may even be a trick for unclipping in a different way, I can get by by twisting my heel to the inside but I don't like the idea of repeatedly kicking the frame.

Devon

by Devon

Speedplay are renowned for being good on the knees, maybe the same applies with ankles? You could also maybe try some lightweight mountain bike pedals, which you can generally loosen up a lot more.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

eric

by eric

My Shimano 7810 pedals have very low release effort when the adjuster is set to minimum. You might be able to find a used set. 7900 pedals have a higher minimum tension. If you use the red no float cleats the angle needed for release is less.

My left ankle is sort of messed up from a motorcycle incident. It's kind of weak. When I am tired I sometimes unclip the right, step off the bike and twist my body to unclip the left foot.

edit- no float SPD-SL cleats are red, not yellow.
Last edited by eric on Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Devon

by Devon

The Yellows are the 6deg (regular) float cleats. You mean the red ones?

SH10 Red
Fixed position with no float for complete efficiency and rigid form

SH12 Blue
2° of float for a balance of comfort and efficiency

SH11 Yellow
6° of float for comfort, ideal for riders whose feet move naturally during their pedal stroke

drmutley

by drmutley

Try the speedplay zeros for adjustability, and if u want easier uncliping then use the light action model...

Fatbiker

by Fatbiker

Devon wrote:Speedplay are renowned for being good on the knees, maybe the same applies with ankles? You could also maybe try some lightweight mountain bike pedals, which you can generally loosen up a lot more.

I suspect the float on Speedplay pedals would be pretty painful when you have weak ankles.

Maybe go with toe clip pedals? A bit retro, I know but they might do the trick for you.

Rick

by Rick

With Speedplays, you can pretty much just relax your ankle. Let it follow whatever natural motions it wants.

Also, with the old "X Series" which they still make and sell, the release is almost effortless; the foot just slides right off the pedal. But you do have to rotate your heel out further to get the release.
I don't know if it is the release FORCE or the release ANGLE that causes your ankle pain.

http://www.speedplay.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=home.x

NoiseBoy

by NoiseBoy

Thanks for all the suggestions. It is the force AT the angle that is the problem. I can twist it out fine when free and if i push against the side of my desk here with my heel its fine. But if I angle my foot to a typical release position and push it hurts. The thing that really does it with the Time's is that they release with a real thunk. It's the thunk that results in the sharp pain.

Just been reading some reviews of the speedplay light action and aside from the zero float, which i'm not sure about, they sound ideal as I can twist my ankle out quite a long way as long as the force to unclip is reasonably light and smooth. Would I be better off with the Zero to get a bit of resistance in the float or would they be too hard to unclip?

Pharmstrong

by Pharmstrong

I have zeros. There's absolutely no resistance in the float, but you can set the range to exactly what you would like. They're easy to unclip from once the cleat has worn a little.

Devon

by Devon

I'd recommend finding someone in your club who has a set and will let you give them a go.

Rick

by Rick

I have used both the Speedplay X series and the Zeros.
The Zeros have very light float. It is easy to move, but you can feel a tiny bit of friction. Then, there is another small increment of increased force required to unclip. It is just enough to let you know that you are at the rotation limit and about to release.

With the X series, the float feels like truly frictionless; often descriped as "walking on ice". The release is also completely effortless. You just rotate your foot enough and the foot slides right off.

The Zeroes have 15° of float, while the Xs have 28° of float . So you have to rotate your heel out further on the X to release. That is why you don't get unintended relases even though the float is friction-free.

aaric

by aaric

The Zeroes also have adjustable float. You can tighten the screws on the side of the cleat to limit your float down to whatever level you want <= 15°, with inner and outer rotation independently set.

NoiseBoy

by NoiseBoy

The Zero's sound like they would be fine for me then. The only thing now with the Light Action is it states they are ideal for light riders. I'm 54Kg so I fall into that category. I suspect there is very little in it and the price is the same so a tough decision.

Wookieopolis

by Wookieopolis

At 59kg I occasionally had problems getting clipped into Zero's. I had to really stomp down on them to get clipped in, which heavier riders don't seem to have to do. I never tried the light actions, so I can't speak to the difference.

Pharmstrong

by Pharmstrong

NoiseBoy wrote:The Zero's sound like they would be fine for me then. The only thing now with the Light Action is it states they are ideal for light riders. I'm 54Kg so I fall into that category. I suspect there is very little in it and the price is the same so a tough decision.

Absolutely get the light actions. I'm 64Kgs. Until the cleats wore in the pedals were very hard to clip in to. I had to cloat the contact points with lubrication and press down very hard.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com