Help me lower bike weight! -Felt AR4

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

BikeBishop

by BikeBishop

Hey Weightweenies

I just purchased a 2013 Felt AR4.

It will be factory as I was able to get it for a better price fully built then just as a frame. A full list of specs is here: http://www.feltbicycles.com/USA/2013/Ro ... s/AR4.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

One thing that needs to be known is I am a young rider (18) who is still in school so I am not able to have a full time job, so price is important. I am looking for the best weightloss:price ratios.

Any and all recommendations are welcomed. If possible I would like to get it down to 16 pounds relatively "cheap".

If you are going to critique my frame choice, no need to reply. Thanks!
Last edited by BikeBishop on Sun Jul 14, 2013 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

justkeepedaling

by justkeepedaling

I would start with wheels, then crank or bars/stem. Not sure how heavy the brakes are, but there's a fair bit of weight to be lost there too.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

davec

by davec

Diet and exercise

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DRAGON60

by DRAGON60

Those wheels are pretty heavy----if you watch on Nashbar for the 20% off---you can get the Vuelta SLR's for under 300 dollars---they are pretty good wheels and weigh 1495 gms-----good value and that's close to a pound off right there. There are better and lighter wheels but it gets expensive.

Keep an eye on the used marketplace--there are some great weight-saving deals out there.

Looks like a very nice bike.

BikeBishop

by BikeBishop

I will keep an eye out for a lighter set of wheels. Any recommendations on new handlebars? I don't really know what the best handlebar brands are that are light but won't snap if I put too much pressure on them,

Fatbiker

by Fatbiker

+1 on lighter wheels.

TerribleCadence

by TerribleCadence

Are you racing or riding recreationally? Lighter/stiffer wheels would be great... if you're racing. If you're not, then just use what you have - you'll get stronger.

The frame choice is good although now dated, with maybe a new AR model coming out next year (which is why I sold mine) I used my AR0 in crits and got decent results on it.

You're young, the best place to put your money is in a coach, a garmin (or similar) and then a power meter. No need for $400 dollar top end shoes, a new wheelset that'll save you 200gr or a pair of carbon bars (stick with alloy, ive cracked two carbon bars in crashes)

Too many people worry about the bike, and against what Lance said - it isn't about the bike, until you're at the top of your sport or racing against the clock etc. Your legs do the talking in races, I see too many people racing on Venges/S5's with aero wheels and they just sit in the pack, don't attack and don't contest the sprint - because they don't have the legs for it. Chippers.

Obviously at the end of the day you may be doing loads of training, so good on you :) Pro Vibe 7s bars and stem are nice and stiff, mavic ksyriums will be more than good enough. Sorry if I ranted too much, its hot and I'm stuck in an office!
FELT AR0 Now sold.
CAAD10 Force 22, Quarq, Ksyrium SLR
LOOK 695 Light, Force22, Zipp 303.

DRAGON60

by DRAGON60

Good advice TC---lightning in the legs rather than lightening in the bike. :smartass:

But both roads can be taken for varied results. I was probably at my strongest when I was riding a 22 lb. bike ----you really had to work to get that thing flying. But that was 40 years ago and I was totally motivated then.

Good Luck at whatever you decide on BB :thumbup:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com