"PRO" Cycling Discussion

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

jooo

by jooo

maquisard wrote:Chris Froome un-impressed with Contador's attempt to race during bike race.

http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/15016 ... o-Gap.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The elastic stretched but didn’t snap on the climb. The fast descent was another effort to get clear, and one that didn’t impress Froome. “I just think at this stage of the race, he is obviously getting desperate,” he said. “They are attacking on us on the descents and attacking us on the climbs. I just think it was careless to ride like that.

It is a race... :thumbup:

kbbpll wrote:Froome says Contador was "careless", but that didn't stop him from being right on his wheel. Then at 3km he's waving Contador through, which looked a little childish to me. I'm starting to not like him much.

I think Froome has every right to be kinda annoyed at Contador who almost caused him to crash and then didn't contribute at all to trying to get back to the bunch. That doesn't sound childish to me at all - just being kinda annoyed when you're pretty wired after a tough stage :noidea:

petepeterson

by petepeterson

No flaming from me I've got bigger issues. I'd just like to flame Froomie today. Just a weak day from him. I have been trying to like the guy but first he waves contador to pull him up to the group after the crash; wtf would he help porte pull you back on? I couldn't believe it when I saw that on TV. Speaks to his character. Then he complains about contador taking risks on the descent to the media and on twitter. Sorry but would you like everyone to just mail it in for the last week because you are up 4mins? . Crashing is part of bike racing. Lance never bitched about beloki crashing in front of him he just rode through the switchback. I have never been a huge contador fan but how can you not be after the last few days.

The only cool thing I can say that I saw Froomie do today was eat something on TV with 50 to go.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MikeyT

by MikeyT

jooo wrote: I think Froome has every right to be kinda annoyed at Contador who almost caused him to crash and then didn't contribute at all to trying to get back to the bunch. That doesn't sound childish to me at all - just being kinda annoyed when you're pretty wired after a tough stage :noidea:

Possibly Froome playing the game. Making a point and trying to get inside Berties head. Exactly what anyone else what do in the same situation.

kbbpll

by kbbpll

It just seemed like he was annoyed that a rider from another team wasn't pulling for him. He's gotten too used to it I think. Just my cynical perspective.

Edit: But to be fair, Contador made a big show of looking at his injured(?) elbow while Froome was flapping his turn signal.

MikeyT

by MikeyT

kbbpll wrote:It just seemed like he was annoyed that a rider from another team wasn't pulling for him. He's gotten too used to it I think. Just my cynical perspective.

Edit: But to be fair, Contador made a big show of looking at his injured(?) elbow while Froome was flapping his turn signal.

He perhaps expected more from Contador given the situation that they had found themselves in. That said, I don't blame him one bit for riding Froome's wheel.

I think his pride was injured more than his elbow was :lol:

Kermithimself

by Kermithimself

jooo wrote:I think Froome has every right to be kinda annoyed at Contador who almost caused him to crash and then didn't contribute at all to trying to get back to the bunch. That doesn't sound childish to me at all - just being kinda annoyed when you're pretty wired after a tough stage :noidea:

Contador had Kreuziger in the front group. So why should he help get them back?
------------
If you dream of being famous - think of what birds do to statues.
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/kermithimself/
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdCPaXwpeXT_LpuEF0REjqw
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/gotlegscycling/

jooo

by jooo

Kreuziger wasn't exactly drilling it in the front group - Contador still seems to be the team leader. Why should he expect Froome and Porte to do all of the work when he's basically at much more risk Re: loosing time. Contador was basically in more danger of loosing GC position than either of the Sky riders.

Gazelleer

by Gazelleer

Perhaps he (Contador) doesn't care too much about a podium place if it ain't first place... and I can only admire him for that.

Kermithimself

by Kermithimself

jooo wrote:Kreuziger wasn't exactly drilling it in the front group - Contador still seems to be the team leader. Why should he expect Froome and Porte to do all of the work when he's basically at much more risk Re: loosing time. Contador was basically in more danger of loosing GC position than either of the Sky riders.

True, but if Sky didn't care as well, they should have stopped pulling right? It's not always the strongest that wins, but the one's who races with his brain as well. Had Sky stopped pulling, Contador would probably be forced to take the front. Instead he got a free ride back to the group.
------------

airwise

by airwise

ultyguy wrote:Just grasping at straws for an attempt to explain Froome, cause I'm pretty sure there's not a good explanation...

There's lots of good explanations for those who want to see them.

With regards to the Ventoux stage, the arguments have been remarkably simplistic.

I've been in Provence for the last few days and was able to watch Froome about 1km from the summit. I've also ridden a degree of that route on numerous occasions. Here's some observations.

Firstly most of the first 209km enjoyed a 20kph tailwind. On the gently rolling roads to the west of the Vercors and into the Drome Provencal, even I would average around 45kph on my own. It's hardly surprising that the peloton proceeded at such a breakneck speed.

Secondly it was clear that Froome's rear cassette was big. His high cadence attacks could well be explained by his ability to drop into a smaller gear than many of his adversaries. Certainly when he came past me (on a 9% gradient and having just dropped Quintana) he had a couple of climbing sprockets spare should he want to attack with a high cadence.

A final observation was that Froome's skin glistened with sweat as he passed - a clear sign that his body cooling system was still functioning satisfactorily. Looking at pictures of many others, their skin was dry as a bone. Now that is not a definitive sign of anything, but the possiblity of Contador and others dehydrating and imploding should not be ignored - just as Froome's ability to ride in high temperatures at altitude (having grown up in Kenya) should also not be swept under the carpet when we have seen climatic conditions like we have this past ten days.

It's a shame that no one stops to consider so many variables and their effects when spitefully spewing forth accusations on internet forums - but hardly surprising.

LionelB

by LionelB

airwise wrote:There's lots of good explanations for those who want to see them.

With regards to the Ventoux stage, the arguments have been remarkably simplistic.

I've been in Provence for the last few days and was able to watch Froome about 1km from the summit. I've also ridden a degree of that route on numerous occasions. Here's some observations.

Firstly most of the first 209km enjoyed a 20kph tailwind. On the gently rolling roads to the west of the Vercors and into the Drome Provencal, even I would average around 45kph on my own. It's hardly surprising that the peloton proceeded at such a breakneck speed.

Secondly it was clear that Froome's rear cassette was big. His high cadence attacks could well be explained by his ability to drop into a smaller gear than many of his adversaries. Certainly when he came past me (on a 9% gradient and having just dropped Quintana) he had a couple of climbing sprockets spare should he want to attack with a high cadence.

A final observation was that Froome's skin glistened with sweat as he passed - a clear sign that his body cooling system was still functioning satisfactorily. Looking at pictures of many others, their skin was dry as a bone. Now that is not a definitive sign of anything, but the possiblity of Contador and others dehydrating and imploding should not be ignored - just as Froome's ability to ride in high temperatures at altitude (having grown up in Kenya) should also not be swept under the carpet when we have seen climatic conditions like we have this past ten days.

It's a shame that no one stops to consider so many variables and their effects when spitefully spewing forth accusations on internet forums - but hardly surprising.

If you can ride on your own at 45kph average on this 209km course you should very seriously consider turning pro. You may beat Froome :shock:

ultyguy

by ultyguy

Well, the one thing I will give to Froome is that he handles the heat well. That 2011 Vuelta was insanely hot. As for the altitude thing? Well we all know there's plenty of other Kenyan's that have tried that one on ;) http://www.globalpost.com/dispatch/news ... -enhancers

On another note of MovieStar transparency :D Costa throwing it down!
http://www.srm.de/news/road-cycling/le- ... -stage-16/

euan

by euan

airwise wrote:Firstly most of the first 209km enjoyed a 20kph tailwind. On the gently rolling roads to the west of the Vercors and into the Drome Provencal, even I would average around 45kph on my own. It's hardly surprising that the peloton proceeded at such a breakneck speed.

Bingo. Lots of observers were going on about the relentless pace to Ventoux and this was the fastest stage to Ventoux ever so Froome must have been tired. In reality if you look Greipel or Ten Dam's data neither were higher than Z2 until Ventoux

airwise

by airwise

ultyguy wrote:Quintana is like a 5'2" dude weighing max 52kg, not surprising he can climb.

Not sure if anyone corrected this but he's 5'5 and weighs a surprisingly porky 58-59kg.

Kermithimself

by Kermithimself

Looks like it might be rain tomorrow. Very interesting.

Also, there's a chance of rain in the latter part of todays TT.
------------

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com