Deciding on Cranks

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

teufelhunden222

by teufelhunden222

Got my 2013 S-works crank and spider for 370. its a badass crank
[img]<iframe%20height='160'%20width='300'%20frameborder='0'%20allowtransparency='true'%20scrolling='no'%20src='http://app.strava.com/athletes/1677950/activity-summary/ddf436fc1ca509b20d4637cfa80c928da771d2c6'></iframe>[/img]

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

Sanding the cranks wouldn't harm the carbon. It doesn't look great after the sanding is done but a layer of clear spray over it makes it looks great! I did it on a pair of sram red cranks viewtopic.php?f=10&t=115500&start=15

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

carbonLORD
in the industry

by carbonLORD

The Cannondale cranks are rebadged FSA-Taiwanese which have been known for creaking, by design. The Force are aluminum wrapped and probably made at the same Taiwanese factory, (or I'm 99% sure the carbon is supplied from the same vendors and assembled similarly). The Force have a better BB engagement where the Cannondale seem to use the same 15 year old self extracting aluminum bolt that has been the culprit for creaks and ticks as far as I can remember (the now discontinued carbonLORD cranks are from the same factory, based on similar designs and still marketed under Euro-Asian resellers). The Specialized cranks are likely also made in Taiwan but are a more proprietary design and in my experience are stiffer and thus far have no creaking (knock on wood.... I mean er, carbon). I also like the Spline BB engagement of the S-WORKS. The only design I dislike in the S-WORKS crank are the 3 small threaded studs that handle the pre-load, but the loc-tite blue threadlock compound supplied on these 3 bolts themselves has seemed to be a non-issue and is holding just fine, (knock on carbon)...

Id get the S-WORKS, (In fact I own them).
carbonLORD.com

boolinwall

by boolinwall

My Force crank arms weigh 550 grams. Not sure the weight on my FSA's. They're currently residing on my bike. As mentioned earlier though. The Force cranks are worth it if you're not into regular maintenance. You really do just set them and forget them. I'm unsure of the BB configuration of the other two, having not used them myself.

drainyoo

by drainyoo

Thanks guys. I think I'm going to go with the Specialized cranks. I read that you need to use the chainring bolts that come with the Specialized carbon spider. Why so?

doomith

by doomith

Get the SiSL amazing crank for a good price point!

mythical

by mythical

My order of preference goes: 1) Specialized FACT, 2) Sram Force carbon. The Cannondale Si carbon cranks wouldn't make it to my list.

Also, I'd seriously consider a pair of Sram Red Exogram cranks due to their lower weight, great stiffness and pleasant aesthetics. There's quite a long thread on here exclusively about this crankset http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=103730 They should look excellent with Fiber-Lyte chainrings. :thumbup:
“I always find it amazing that a material can actually sell a product when it’s really the engineering that creates and dictates how well that material will behave or perform.” — Chuck Teixeira

teufelhunden222

by teufelhunden222

look on page 3 for the new S-works cranks that I posted. Also when ordering make sure you specify the 2013 ones.
[img]<iframe%20height='160'%20width='300'%20frameborder='0'%20allowtransparency='true'%20scrolling='no'%20src='http://app.strava.com/athletes/1677950/activity-summary/ddf436fc1ca509b20d4637cfa80c928da771d2c6'></iframe>[/img]

drainyoo

by drainyoo

mythical wrote:My order of preference goes: 1) Specialized FACT, 2) Sram Force carbon. The Cannondale Si carbon cranks wouldn't make it to my list.

Also, I'd seriously consider a pair of Sram Red Exogram cranks due to their lower weight, great stiffness and pleasant aesthetics. There's quite a long thread on here exclusively about this crankset http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=103730 They should look excellent with Fiber-Lyte chainrings. :thumbup:

I really like the Red's, and I've considered them, but I really want to have that carbon weave look. I know it sounds stupid, but you are right, the Red would probably give me the lightest, stiffest setup.