tips for what to do on turbo trainer

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

istigatrice

by istigatrice

as above; I've got no clue of what I should do on a turbo trainer in terms of sessions. Being winter and too soft to ride in the rain, I'd much rather use the turbo. However, I notice a drop in my climbing if I have consecutive days on the turbo...

I'm currently doing 45/30 which is 45 seconds spike (heart rate ranging from 85-95%) followed by a 30 sec rest. Repeat that for 10 minutes before warming down. Is my duration too short or could my intervals be tweaked?

I'd like to spend no more than 1/2 hour on these sessions (not including warm up and down), what do people recommend I try so that I can keep my fitness or improve if possible.

It's even a sticky!

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=78810
I write the weightweenies blog, hope you like it :)

Disclosure: I'm sponsored by Velocite, but I do give my honest opinion about them (I'm endorsed to race their bikes, not say nice things about them)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

DrGalactus

by DrGalactus

http://www.trainerroad.com/ £6-7 a month, well worth it, tons of plans/workouts and will even give you virtual power :)

darkblue08

by darkblue08

30 min is not a long time. I would recommend that you go the 30 min at the heart rate you would at a 30 min climb. That or do as long intervals as you can fit into your 30 min window. It could be 3x5min with 5 min rest.

Dont expect any kind of fitness from you current 10 min effort. Remember, if want to be fit on a bike, its a very time consuming process.

istigatrice

by istigatrice

@darkblue, what heart rate % should I am to get in for the 5min interval?
I write the weightweenies blog, hope you like it :)

Disclosure: I'm sponsored by Velocite, but I do give my honest opinion about them (I'm endorsed to race their bikes, not say nice things about them)

darkblue08

by darkblue08

Its difficult to do a short interval like 5 min or less after puls. But I had a look at my own 5 min interval, and the last half of the each interval, the heart rate is around 90-92% of Max puls, and the avg. of the entire interval is a little less - around 88-90% of Max puls.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sanrensho

by sanrensho

Try Carmichael's Time-Crunched Cyclist book. Many different plans and kept me sane this year on the trainer.