Xiamen Far Sports Experiences

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Monkeyboy3333

by Monkeyboy3333

FSC38-TM anyone running these yet? - 38 mm superlight tubs, circa 1070g!! Any pics out there of some well loved ones? I am so undecided on whether to go tubs or clinchers 38/50s but I'm definitely going farsports. I'm only doing 120-150miles a week but want something new!

Krackor

by Krackor

FSC50-CM-25 arrived yesterday, which puts them at exactly the 20 days promised from order placement to delivery. Images and weights to come soon.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

JackWalk

by JackWalk

I know many people from my club who have all had great experiences with their wheels. In fact a local team outfitted the whole team with 50mm tubs from this company.

trychle

by trychle

Kyle, I have sent a warranty claim 3 days ago to the info email adress.
This email has not yet been answered, could you look into this?

Thanks.

roadytracky

by roadytracky

trychle - I've been working on a warranty problem with Farsports for months now. It's been over a week since my last e-mail was sent, and I haven't received any response. Yeah, I know, you get what you pay for, but all of the feel-good reviews in this forum lead me to believe this time it would be different. Yesterday, I re-sent my last e-mail to Kyle so I'll give him one more chance to respond. Hopefully, he responds, and takes care of my defective wheel once-and-for-all so I can ride the wheels again and continue to do business with Farsports. I have another rear wheel to order to match a wheel from a mixed set I'd previously ordered from Farsports, and, yes, despite all this I'm still considering ordering another wheel from Farsports (I've previously ordered 6 wheels, and ordered 4 more for teammates, and this one wheel is the only defective wheel - broken spokes, seized nipples, loud/sticky freehubs, and less-than-smooth spinning ceramic EdHubs notwithstanding).

addictR1

by addictR1

trychle & roadytracky, what was wrong with your wheels?

trychle

by trychle

Well.. that doesn't sound too promising..

AddictR1: this is what's wrong

roadytracky

by roadytracky

Trychle - I can't really tell what's wrong from the photo. My 38mm front Farsports clincher looks like that along it's brake track, too. Should I be concerned?

addictR1

by addictR1

trychle, mine is starting to look like that too after 800 miles. But they still stop on the dime. How many miles did you put on yours before that happened?

roadytracky

by roadytracky

My 38mm front clincher looks like trychle's photo, but my 50mm front Farsports clincher doesn't have those bumbs (kind of looks like it has a rash or hives?). I have less than 600 miles on that 38mm front wheel, and haven't even had a single opportunity to go climbing nor descending on the wheel yet. What is the bubbling carbon in Trychle's photo indicative of (or is it nothing to worry about)?

roadytracky

by roadytracky

AddictR1 - My defective Farsports wheel came from a set of 50mm Farsports clinchers that I ordered in December 2012 and 1st rode in March 2013. The rear wheel which had the ceramic EdHub didn't spin smoothly by hand, feeling
like there was sand or grit
inside the hub or bearings. When riding the wheels a pinging sound could consistently be heard anytime I got out of the saddle
and put some power into my pedaling. At first, I assumed it was the spokes settling, but eventually that goes away whereas this kept on pinging mile after mile, ride after ride. I checked the spokes' crosses and taped up the valve stem, but the pinging was definitely coming from inside the hub. Not long after I started riding the wheels the rear also developed play in the rear axle. Took it to the LBS (again), he tightened the Allen heads, but said there was still play, and that the bearings were shot. After contacting Kyle and Mae, and having to practically argue with them over this issue, a new hub was sent (not a new wheel, just a hub). I guess I would have to pay to have the wheel re-built, but I just wanted to be riding the wheel, and arguing through e-mail had worn me down so I brought the wheel to the LBS. LBS showed me all the spokes on just 1 side of the wheel were frozen, siezed to the nipples and could only be removed by cutting them (can't remember if it was drive or non-drive side since the wheel has been sitting at the LBS for a couple months now). Also, before I took the wheel to the LBS to have the hub replaced, I had already broke 2 non-drive side spokes on the 50mm rear Farsports clincher. I've been e-mailing back and forth with Kyle trying to get some replacement spokes (I requested a new wheel, but that was ignored) so I can pay out of my own money to
have my LBS rebuild the wheel.

Also, my 88mm Farsports rear clincher has broken a spoke, and that wheel didn't even come with a few replacement spokes like all the other wheelset I've ordered so I've requested 1 replacement drive side and 1 replacement non-drive side spoke as well, but Kyle told me the free
replacement spokes are only included for longtime customers or longstanding customers even through all of my and my teammates
wheelset had 3 free replacemnt spokes included in the orders. To make
this even worse I asked for a price on a new 38mm clincher wheel which I need now. Kyle could just save the shipping cost on these stupid replacement spokes and include them in the box with the new 38mm wheel that I'd
like to buy. 1st he gave me a price for the new wheel, but told
me I'd have to pay extra for a quick-release for the wheel and pay extra for
the replacement spoke for the 88mm clincher wheel (this wheel
has less than 600 miles on it, and it's already
breaking spokes?). Now I've sent 2 e-mails to Kyle in the past week and I have heard nothing from him at all.

oreoboreo

by oreoboreo

Time to toss FS under the buss...

First off I have to say that my wheelset has been great/400 miles. The challenge that I have has been with a few missed item on my shipment. I did not received any of the items promised (spokes, pads, skewers). I took my 38mm's to my local wheel builder and they let me know that they tensions were spot on and the overall value was definitely there.

I also have send a few emails to FS, one response however they have not understood that they missed the items in my box. I of course will buy locally what is needed.
Let's finish the ride with a 20% grade.

2011 Scott Addict R1 DA 7900 Matt black
2012 Scott CR1 Pro Ultegra 6700
2015 Specialized SWorks Tarmac Da 9000
2016 Specialized SWorks Tarmac DA 9100

addictR1

by addictR1

roadytracky: wow, sorry to hear that man. i have the EDHub, but didn't go with ceramic. so hopefully mine won't have that issue. the brake tracks.. i don't think there's anything to worry about. but if you feel it's not safe.. then probably you're right. hopefully kyle comes through and help sort things out.

eric

by eric

Has anyone got experience with the FSL50-CM (U shaped, not wide) rims yet? I am wondering if they handle side and unstable wind better than the older V shaped rims or Reynolds. Also what weight they are coming in at.

How is the new high temp epoxy working?

BTW mods- I posted this question as a stand alone thread in the Wheels subform twice and it got deleted twice with no word to me. If you're going to delete posts you should at least tell people what was objectionable about them.

roadytracky

by roadytracky

For people worried about crosswinds, the Farsports "combo" wheelset are worth considering. I live at the beach and the crosswinds here are crazy. After my 50mm rear clincher stopped working I had to switch over to riding my 88mm rear Farsports clincher all the time. I would ride it with the 50mm Farsports front (older V-Shaped) clincher most of the time, but I'd switch to the 38mm front Farsports clincher (also, older V-Shaped) when the crosswinds were out of control. I did the same mixing and matching
of front wheels when I was riding the 50mm rear, too. I really couldn't notice much difference between the 50mm & the 88mm Farsports rear clinchers in extreme crosswinds. Moral of this story - if you're worried about crosswinds consider the Farsports combo wheelsets, I.e. 38mm front / 50mm rear.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com