Zipp Traditional bend Vs. Short and Shallow bar?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

USPS

by USPS

Just wanted to get your opinion on the two styles of zipp bars. I'm building a venge and I'm not sure what one to go with. I have a long reach so I'm thinking TB. But maybe the S&S would be more suited for the venge style?

Let me know what you think

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

rheosibal

by rheosibal

Are you going with carbon or alu? If alu, test out the csl, I really like them.

..plus cav uses them on his venge, if that helps
Instagram: joserheo

|| Mosaic RT-1 || Cannondale Evo || Cannondale CAAD10 ||

sigismond0

by sigismond0

The big thing is, do you like a super-round bend that flattens out across the bottom, or a modern curve on the drops.

Personally, I can't stand regular bends, that style was designed before riding on the hoods was normal. Back then most of the time was spent in the drops, so the bars were set at a level where they were the most comfortable stop on the bike. Now that most of the time is spent on the hoods, having that deeper drop tends to be more aggerssive. Additionally, the round curve can often make the hoods mount in somewhat odd places.

If you spend the majority of your time in the drops, then the traditional bars are probably a good choice. If you spend most of the time on the hoods and only go into the drops for sprinting/downhill/etc, then I'd recommend shallow drop bars.

petepeterson

by petepeterson

Keep in mind this is highly personal. I don't ride around in the drops and I prefer round bars.

The traditional bend on the Service Course Bars is not a full round like 3T rotundo and other brands. I was really disappointed personally when they showed up as that is what I like. I think the carbon bars are a more true round shape but not sure. I think ergo bars look really silly but that's my opinion.

justkeepedaling

by justkeepedaling

Is the diagram shown above accurate though for the "traditional" bend of the Zipp?

sigismond0

by sigismond0

These are images directly from Zipp, so they're correct. Here's another with the actual bars in it:

USPS

by USPS

Thanks for the reply's fellas. Though I do spend a lot of time in the drops, I like the feel of the less rounded bars. So I guess I'll go for the short and shallow. My current bars are a lot like the anatomic bars in the picture above - and I like them a lot.

USPS

by USPS

rheosibal wrote:Are you going with carbon or alu? If alu, test out the csl, I really like them.

..plus cav uses them on his venge, if that helps

Carbon. I was going to get the vuka sprint

theremery

by theremery

Watch who you get the VUKA SPRINTS from.....avoid KIESS2010 from ebay.....dumbass sent me fakes but they are soooooo noodly that I picked it immediately. Use your reliable LBS or a known legit trader.
fwiw....despite the noodlyness, I love the shape (and I put them on a Venge)
Updated: Racing again! Thought this was unlikely! Eventually, I may even have a decent race!
Edit: 2015: darn near won the best South Island series (got second in age
-group)..woo hoo Racy Theremery is back!!

USPS

by USPS

theremery wrote:Watch who you get the VUKA SPRINTS from.....avoid KIESS2010 from ebay.....dumbass sent me fakes but they are soooooo noodly that I picked it immediately. Use your reliable LBS or a known legit trader.
fwiw....despite the noodlyness, I love the shape (and I put them on a Venge)

Ugh. I didn't even think of the possibility of a counterfeit. I was planning on getting both the bar and stem from ebay. Any tips to verify an item legit?

Vagabond

by Vagabond

For what it's worth, I'm not so certain "noodlyness" is indicative of a fake. I've found both FSA and and 3T carbon bars to flex a great deal. I've given up on carbon bars for a bit. I travel with my bike a lot and the bars are easily printed at the stem from successive clamping despite torque wrenches and careful mounting. As a result I'm not very confident they won't fail when I'm bombing down the mountains I love climbing at break neck speed. Still, it's tough to put 90 grams or so back on the bike.
Colnago e Campagnolo

importbible

by importbible

I've been hunting for Vukasprint bars for awhile now and I finally got a pair myself. All of the fakes ones I've noticed that the Zipp logo in the front of the bar is incorrect and the "zipp zipp zipp" around the stem is missing. Besides that look for markings on the side such as "SL" which are a totally different bar.

Fake

Real

USPS

by USPS

Thanks for that. I've been looking at a pair but from what you said they seem fake. I'll post the link later when I get home. My I ask how much you paid for yours?

justkeepedaling

by justkeepedaling

Vagabond wrote:For what it's worth, I'm not so certain "noodlyness" is indicative of a fake. I've found both FSA and and 3T carbon bars to flex a great deal. I've given up on carbon bars for a bit. I travel with my bike a lot and the bars are easily printed at the stem from successive clamping despite torque wrenches and careful mounting. As a result I'm not very confident they won't fail when I'm bombing down the mountains I love climbing at break neck speed. Still, it's tough to put 90 grams or so back on the bike.

I had a 3T Ergosum team carbon bar and yanked on it and yanked on it trying to get it to flex. Nothing. I don't take my bars on and off.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jeffy

by jeffy

Hi Zipp,

Please make the ZIPP Handlebar Service Course CSL SSR again.

thanks