BB30/PF30 crank...

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

audiojan

by audiojan

We just placed the order for my wife's dream bike, Parlee Z5SLi. All her current cranks are standard 24mm, but with such a nice bike, we're upgrading everything as much as possible.

So what's the best 53/39 170mm crankset we can get? Cannondale Hollowgram SLSi? Or anything even lighter and better? She's a lightweight, but does produce quite a bit of power and does like to crunch the gears (power climber...) so a stiff crank is required. Obviously we want it light as well....
"Suddenly the thought struck me; my floor is someone elses ceiling" - Nils Ferlin

eric

by eric

I'd go with the SISL2 or the Specialized. But the Cannondale wins on price and I think it's a little lighter as well.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

boots2000

by boots2000

Hollowgrams are creaky and require more maintenance that most cranks.
I may get flamed for that but that is my experience.

sigismond0

by sigismond0

The SiSl2 is incredibly awesome, though the Sram Red Exogram cranks are a very good option that's less expensive and easier to find.

eric

by eric

boots2000 wrote:Hollowgrams are creaky and require more maintenance that most cranks.

Is that the cranks you're talking about, or the BB bearings? He'll have BB30/PF30 no matter what as that's what the frame is.
What maintenance is required?

liketoride

by liketoride

The reds are really light for the price in the bb30

madcow
Shop Owner

by madcow

In my opinion Thm Clavicula cranks are as good as it gets in terms of weight, performance and looks.

sigismond0

by sigismond0

And as bad as it gets in terms of price...

audiojan

by audiojan

Appreciate the feedback everyone! Didn't even consider a SRAM Red... not a bad idea... Too bad Campy doesn't have a BB30 crank (yet...)... This is my wife's dream bike and she's been riding Campy for all her years, so that's what we're sticking to if we have a choice.
"Suddenly the thought struck me; my floor is someone elses ceiling" - Nils Ferlin

RichTheRoadie
Tinker, Taylor, Tart

by RichTheRoadie

Just go with Campag and use the Parlee adapter.

Horacio

by Horacio

I use THM Clavicula and love it!

audiojan

by audiojan

The THM Clavicula is indeed very nice, but by the time the BB and rings are added, we're pushing $1300+... I don't mind spending money, but that's getting a bit excessive.

I didn't think about the Parlee adapter... I have a PF30-24mm Parlee adapter in my Z5 and they do work extremely well (I'm using the adapter as my Quarq was bought prior to the Z5, hence I needed the 24mm before). The question of the day would be, is there a noticeable difference in stiffness between a Campy Record (or Super Record) crank with the Parlee adapter, vs. something like the SRAM Red or Cannondale SiSL with just the PF30 added?

carlislegeorge

by carlislegeorge

BikeTart wrote:Just go with Campag and use the Parlee adapter.

this +1 ^^^

...after a trouble free 7970/7950 Di2 install on my 2012 Z5 SLi, I switched for weight weenie purposes to previous generation Cannondale SiSl cranks also trying out Praxis 52/36 rings, then encountered chain rub issues (chain rubbing against the inside of the big ring while on combos 36-15/14/13/12) that couldn't be tweaked out. so my plan is to go back to all Dura Ace and upgrade to 9070. I think you'll have the most trouble free and pleasurable use if you stay with Campy throughout.
Last edited by carlislegeorge on Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
2011 Tarmac Pro SL3 Project Black (gone but not forgotten)
2012 Parlee Z5 SLi (just because)
2014 Colnago C59 (why not)

RichTheRoadie
Tinker, Taylor, Tart

by RichTheRoadie

If you notice a difference in stiffness I'd be amazed. That applies to most crank & BB configurations to be honest.

audiojan

by audiojan

Ok, Parlee PF30/Campy adapter it is. Thanks for the input everyone!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com