Is VO2max really a "max"?

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Tapeworm

by Tapeworm

"Physiology is all just propaganda and lies... all waiting to be disproven by the next study."
"I'm not a real doctor; But I am a real worm; I am an actual worm." - TMBG

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

roca rule

by roca rule

i do not know how it is for cyclist, but for runners anything over 70 does not mean better, according to joe vigil (running guru in the usa).

Illuminate

by Illuminate

I have always wondered how it can be classed as a max value when the value is a function of body mass which can easily fluctuate? Also, I wonder how it can be an absolute measurement of ability to uptake o2 when it is the red blood cells ability to assimilate and dissociate co2 that tends to be the limiting factor in o2 uptake?

Tapeworm

by Tapeworm

It may also lend weight to the "central governance" theory, that we have neurological controls to prevent damage or failure from physical exercise.
"Physiology is all just propaganda and lies... all waiting to be disproven by the next study."
"I'm not a real doctor; But I am a real worm; I am an actual worm." - TMBG

Illuminate

by Illuminate

Tapeworm wrote:It may also lend weight to the "central governance" theory, that we have neurological controls to prevent damage or failure from physical exercise.

That's a definite though it doesn't always kick in early enough depending on our conditioning (hence heart attack on the squash court).

:)

Geoff

by Geoff

I think that the concept explored by VO2max is a valid proposition (i.e., that there is a systemic limitation in every organism) but I also don't think that anyone believes that the actual tests performed do anything but give an indication of what that is. As an example, in my experience the type of test can yield different results depending upon the experience of the subject. I have often seen cyclists who 'test lower' on s treadmill than on a bike, for example.

HillRPete

by HillRPete

Illuminate wrote:That's a definite though it doesn't always kick in early enough depending on our conditioning (hence heart attack on the squash court). :)

Well despite the smilie indicating that the answer might not have been 100% serious, hearth attack is a cardiological issue, not a neurological one. Your brain can not predict when some accretion in your bloodstream gets loose (be it from intense exercise or not) and clogs up a coronary vessel.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

In the one test I had, mine was 58.

Guess I'm not cut out for this cycling caper :(