keeping your boys happy

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

critracer26

by critracer26

After every ride my groin feels like it went through a cheese shredder. I am using Castelli bibs with the Kiss3 insert which is the best i can find comfort wise. i don't like thick chamois so my options are limited, i have tried Assos, Capo, Pearl Izumi, Giordana, and Hincapie and always went back to the Castelli.

I am using DZ Nuts creme and am using plenty of it down there. My penis is visibly red in spots after the ride and i feel all torn up. I don't think it's saddle related, the only thing i can think of is maybe i am allergic to something in the chamois creme, i have also tried the assos and rapaha creme with the same effect.

It happens whether i ride 20 miles or 50, its just worse the more i ride...

Has anyone experienced anything like this??

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Tapeworm

by Tapeworm

Fungal infection perhaps? Bibs being washed immediately after ride and dried in sunlight (with the pad to the sun)? Excessive hair around there??

That's about all I got for that little problem.
"Physiology is all just propaganda and lies... all waiting to be disproven by the next study."
"I'm not a real doctor; But I am a real worm; I am an actual worm." - TMBG

critracer26

by critracer26

i went to a urologist and checked out fine. The bibs are machine washed and then air dried in my bathroom.

devinci

by devinci

is it itchy?

I had that kind of problem a while back, not sure its the same thing. But if you went to a urologist I guess he would have seen the problem...

Tapeworm

by Tapeworm

Bout only other thing I could suggest is a mineral based oil (baby oil) this shouldn't ruin the bibs.
"Physiology is all just propaganda and lies... all waiting to be disproven by the next study."
"I'm not a real doctor; But I am a real worm; I am an actual worm." - TMBG

llhh

by llhh

How about just skipping any creme for a start?

I am not a doctor but the symptoms seem more related to allergic reaction than blunt trauma ;) There could be a common ingridient in all creams/oils perhaps?

Did the urogolist outrule STD's by the way? Could easily be a bacterial infection too.
Parlee Z1 Super Record
Dogma F Red AXS

Gregorio

by Gregorio

Not quite the same thing....but I went through a period where I had "itchy butt" . It was driving me crazy so I googled it, some suggestions where to use hand sanitizer. I did this 3x and after wks of suffering the itchy butt was gone.

aerozy

by aerozy

I struggled with the same problem in 2010 for a few months. It was driving me completely mad! It wouldnt make a difference if it was a 10km ride or 120km... same effect. Seemed I was allergic to cycling (nightmare!). Redness, dryness and crazy itching during the night.

I got tested for fungal infection which came back negative so it could only be an allergy. I tried every single product out there with no results. I was about to get allergy tested which would have meant not having a shower (and not riding) for a week so I decided to skip that and go full on and started using NO fragrance products (clothes washing detergent, shower gel, shampoo, chamois, etc). It went away in a week and its never come back.

Hope this helps! Its definetely worth trying
Factor O2 Rim / Winspace 1500 Disk / Yoeleo R6 Rim / Cervelo S2 Rim

eippo1

by eippo1

I'd try some different things. Try out a thicker chamois cream like Chamois Butter - it works much better for me than DZnutz. Another thing you could try is getting some diaper rash stuff. It will clear up skin irritation within a day or 2.

ty-ro

by ty-ro

I react in a similar way to some chamois creams. Look for a common ingredient across all of the ones you have tried that do not work for you. Try to find a hypoallergenic one. I had to try a bunch before I found one that worked for me.

davej35

by davej35

Nappy cream is also effective for fungi. Tried some time ago and it works! just firstly when you spread it over the chamois you will feel some sense of chill, otherwise no complaints at all.

aerozy

by aerozy

Best thing would be to get a fungal test followed by an allergy test. If you dont feel like going through this I'd recommend going through the following steps:

1) Buy some Lamisil (best antifungal cream) and try it for a week or two. If its a fungus it will go away in a week or so. Its not worth persisting more then 2 weeks with the treatment! Lamisil is pretty potent.
2) If this fails you probably have an allergy which could be due to anything. Try hypo-allergic chamois and bath with hypo-allergic shampoo and gel. Oh and dont wash your clothes with liquid detergent. Use a non-bio powder detergent.
3) If this doesnt work go get tested!

Best of luck!
Factor O2 Rim / Winspace 1500 Disk / Yoeleo R6 Rim / Cervelo S2 Rim

boots2000

by boots2000

As some others have said- try an antifungal like stuff for jock itch or athletes foot.
Also. Start washing. down there with an antibacterial soap like hibiclens.

kiserkm

by kiserkm

Use Bag Balm. You can get it for around 5 bucks at walgreens.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

PJCM

by PJCM

As per prior posts, try Lamisil for several weeks.

If that proves it is fungal and clears it up, then using an anti-dandruff shampoo with zinc active ingredient (like Head'n'Shoulders) in place of soap can help prevent recurrence. The zinc is anti-fungal.

Other than that, keeping the area clean and dry is essential. Wearing cotton boxer shorts also helps.