Winter training and clothing

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

artray

by artray

hanzypanzy wrote:Hi All,

Right, its getting cold and Im suffering from a total soaking feeling of sweat! Im struggling with how many layers and what top layer/coat.
I think Im putting too many layers on to begin with, the fact Im warm and comfortable at the beginning of the ride suggests so. 2-3hrs later Im a bit shivery as the sweat has build up on the base and second layer but not got out through the jacket.
Im wearing a very tight base layer (sub armour) with wicking properties, then a less tight fit 2nd layer again with wicking, over which the bib tights pull over the stomach area, then a water/wind proof jacket. The jacket is not tight.

After a few hours Im soaked from the inside out and the chill begins. Am I starting out with too much on and is the jacket not wicking well enough?

Thanks and Im sure Ive missed a post on this very subject somewhere, apologies!
Im riding in london and its cold right now
Pretty sure its your jacket.Im using a merino base then wicking nike shirt and normal cycling shirt and on top my gortex jacket which really breaths well.If your top layeris trapping the heat you will sweat,simple
artray

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Kulzv

by Kulzv

I`ve used similar to this inside a cheap rain jacket(no breathing), without feeling uncomfortably moist:

Gives you a layer of air between your skin and whatever next piece of clothing you use :)

HUMP DIESEL

by HUMP DIESEL

We have had some colder temps this past weekend, on the east coast of the US. Usually when it starts to get cold, I put on the bib tights, I can always adjust the top half, but I hate just leg warmers, so I go with the tights.

For the upper half, depending on temps, I either go with a standard light Defeet base layer, regular Hincapie racing jersey (Get points for still wearing the team kit), a long sleeve jersey (fleece lined) and a wind vest. Maybe a cap. Gloves are usually Defeet wool, or when it really gets cold, something thicker.

If it is colder, I go for a wool base layer, thin, bib tights again, jersey on top of that, thicker long sleeve, and then a thicker vest. I have hte team vest and another Hincapie signature vest which works great when it gets cold. Beanie for the head, usually always run shoe covers in the winter, since I like light weight wool socks, sometimes have to put on thermal booties if it really gets cold.

For those who state the Turbo trainer, 5 hours on a trainer is close to being in a torture chamber, if I can ride outside, I will.

HUMP
Why are the best things in life always the ones you start last?

HillRPete

by HillRPete

Many good points already, here's what I'm doing at the risk of stating obvious things.

In general, I'm using several thin layers, and no thick one, trying to keep the layers breathable (no jacket unless it's raining). Except for feet, head and hands, I'm always trying to keep them extra warm.

Stay variable, so you can adapt while riding. All my layers except for the thin shirt at the bottom have at least a zip neck, so you can open a bit when heating up. Around 10°C I usually only have a single long sleeved layer (with a thin shirt underneath, and jersey and thin vest on top). Then add arm warmers, because they can easily be adjusted or removed.

When riding with jacket in bad weather I always keep the cuff velcro far open to catch some wind, that pushes some fresh air to your torso.

cookiemonster

by cookiemonster

Im riding in london and its cold right now
Pretty sure its your jacket.Im using a merino base then wicking nike shirt and normal cycling shirt and on top my gortex jacket which really breaths well.If your top layeris trapping the heat you will sweat,simple
artray

Ditto - I'm in London, and I reckon its cold :) Also I just use a long sleeve merino base and a rapha softshell jacket on the top, long bibs, decent gloves, merino hat and toasty feet (a few options dependant upon how cold and how wet). If I start to overheat, which isnt likely, a half zip on the jacket soon cools me down. Thats warm enough for riding, but I do get cold if I stop.

That said, this is for longer rides, if I were doing an hour of intervals or something then I'd replace the softshell with a long sleeve top.

As mentioned previously, just sounds like the OP is wearing too many layers - take one off and see how you get on!

bikerboy337

by bikerboy337

Agree with that post... it takes some time to figure it all out, but write it down for the conditions...

for example... it might be 40 degrees F out, but there is a big difference in what i need between a calm and sunny day and a cloudy, damp and windy day... they are light years apart even though they're the same temp...

TuplaO

by TuplaO

^Good point! It always pays to factor in wind speed, humidity etc. Just looking at the temperature may get you miles off.

limba

by limba

and intensity. A hard training ride is completely different from commuting or taking it easy.

bikerboy337

by bikerboy337

I've had great luck with the Capo Limited Edition jacket... great jacket..... good from 50 degrees down, depending on how i layer...

it takes a bit of time to figure out what work for your... everyone reacts differently to the cold...

davej35

by davej35

limba wrote:and intensity. A hard training ride is completely different from commuting or taking it easy.

By hard training, a friend of mine prefers cold weather, don't know how much is this true but I can't endure and I make short rides in the vicinity of 20-25 miles. In winter while training I'm always asking this question to myself: Where's the sun?