trainer recommendation for home watt training

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

rOYk

by rOYk

Hi,

I have a question: I'm looking for trainer that I can use for "massive" watt intervals. I'm using weird SRM for the Measurements. I tried few trainers, the SRM output from each one is so different with 20~40%, It's almost impossible to do reliable FTP test or any interval. Another point that I find important, the trainer need to be stable for heavy gear intervals.

Please advice

Thank you!!

Tapeworm

by Tapeworm

Not many trainers can take "true" sprint loads (1000watts+).

Look to the Lemond revolution, Kurt Kinetic and BT ATS (stupid expensive but supposedly among the very best).

For a more "standalone trainer" the Wattbike and Cycleops trainers are worth looking at.

In short if you want something that can hack real efforts then its going to cost $$$.
"Physiology is all just propaganda and lies... all waiting to be disproven by the next study."
"I'm not a real doctor; But I am a real worm; I am an actual worm." - TMBG

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

me

by me

Geoff

by Geoff

+1 with what Tapeworm said. The Bike Technologies product is first-rate. The advantage over the Watt bike is you can use your own bikes.

If you want a 'conventional' trainer, look no further than the 1Up USA trainer. It is very reliable and, once it gets to temperature, provides the kind of repeatability you require. I am 59 kg and can produce 1,200 watts on it, so if you are a true sprinter and need 1,600 or 1,800 watts, I can't be sure the 1Up USA trainer will do that. I am positive the BT ATS and Wattbike will, though.

As another alternative, as I am not sure what PowerMeter you are running, the SRM ergometer is also good to well over 2,000 watts. You can install your Track SRM directly to it, as well.

rOYk

by rOYk

Thank you all. My team use the BT trainer, in matter of fact the BT is very popular in Israel. The BT is to expansive for me (the SRM wasn't cheep). I'm not the best sprinter in the world :), I can use regular trainer in conjunction my SRM. I'm thinking of the CycleOps Jet-Fluid Pro or one of the newer Elite Crono trainer. The trainer is a solution for long intervals for me, short sprints I can do in the park, the longer ones I will like to do at home.

robertbb

by robertbb

+1 for BT.
I also use the Kurt Kinetic at home.
Oh, and next time I'm in eretz, maybe you can take me for a ride? PM me if you're interested. I'm keen to do lots of climbing - Jerusalem climb, Safed climb and Mt Hermon?
:-)

rOYk

by rOYk

robertbb wrote:+1 for BT.
I also use the Kurt Kinetic at home.
Oh, and next time I'm in eretz, maybe you can take me for a ride? PM me if you're interested. I'm keen to do lots of climbing - Jerusalem climb, Safed climb and Mt Hermon?
:-)

You are more then welcome! I will send you my contacts.

toad

by toad

I have used a Cycleops PT 300 for 4 years. I have some complaints about the felt pads and handlebar shape, but all have been addressed in their more recent models. The only complaint I have is that the pedal motion seems a bit rough, and the big flywheels keeps turning like a track bike. Also, the rear wheel is a big solid piece of metal and gets hot. Not so hot that it causes problems, only that it effects the accuracy of the Power Meter. So as long as you don't mind stopping occasionally to zero the watts, it is seems fairly accurate, or at least consistently inaccurate as I don't really have any way of knowing how accurate it is. My wife is a shorty and we can both use it, we just remember our settings and both use SPD shoes. I also rode my sisters Lemond Rev-X, it was much smoother and had a really nice feel to it, but is $$$.

I am not a power sprinter, more of a WW, but I have brought the PT300 up to 1500+ watts sprinting in wild abandonment, with no problems, really heavy, really stable.

Warming up at races I used to use the 1up, but my tire tended to slip even with a fat slick on it. I replaced it with a Fluid2, and it was much better and more stable (but louder than the 1up, somewhere between the 1up and PT300 in decibels). I think the stability comes from the arms being thicker and pitching outward diagonally to provide a more wider base.
SkidMap.Com
2011 Cannondale Scalpel
2010 Giant TCR Advanced SL
1943 Sieber Track Bike

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com