How to sit like the pros?

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Dane

by Dane

Zoncolan wrote:
Dane wrote:My bike setups look like this, any chance of a critique?

Any help and opions appreciated!

Dane

Road bike, up 10mm with the saddle then new picture with cranks horizontal.

Track bike, way too much going on, saddle too high, bars too low and once that's fixed probably too short in the top tube.

I managed to get a few pics of a modified pos on the road bike (excuse the lack of jersey (I just finished a 2 x 20 session) and Dog, he loves watching me suffer on the turbo)

Here is my new standard position (when knackered)

And on the drops

Ive gone about 15 mm up with the saddle and 5mm forward, as well as lowering the bars by 5mm.

I think I need some more hamstring flexibility.

Cheers

Dane

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

HUMP DIESEL

by HUMP DIESEL

What length stem are you running? Just looking, it looks like the motor is in the right place, meaning I think you saddle position is good, maybe a tick on the highside, but to me you look like you could come up and run a longer stem.

Just my $.02
Why are the best things in life always the ones you start last?

Dane

by Dane

HUMP DIESEL wrote:What length stem are you running? Just looking, it looks like the motor is in the right place, meaning I think you saddle position is good, maybe a tick on the highside, but to me you look like you could come up and run a longer stem.

Just my $.02

Cheers for the feedback, Its starting to feel much better fit wise the stems a 120 mm, I can try a 135 off the track bike. Could also get hold of a 130 mm ritchey WCS one probably.

The bars feel high to me, but I'm used to running them low. I wont go any lower until I've sorted my flexibility.

Cheers
Dane

HUMP DIESEL

by HUMP DIESEL

I would try the longer stem, and rotate the bars to have those hoods more level or slightly turned up. That should also get the drops into a position where if you need to go lower, just bend down into it more.

HUMP

Dane

by Dane

Also, I have an alternative position one the hoods when I'm going hard.

Which is a bit more stretched out, would I lose this with a longer stem?

Cheers

Dane

Dane

by Dane

HUMP DIESEL wrote:I would try the longer stem, and rotate the bars to have those hoods more level or slightly turned up. That should also get the drops into a position where if you need to go lower, just bend down into it more.

HUMP

Cheers I'll try that.

Dane

HUMP DIESEL

by HUMP DIESEL

No, you would be able to keep that position, which is a favorite of mine when you go it alone!

HUMP

Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez

by Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez

Longer stem AND bars with more reach would help don't you think :noidea: :?:

sirenomelia

by sirenomelia

Your dog wants to go for a walk....

horse

by horse

The dog is the coach. Monitoring your performance on the TT. He writes...

Why sit like Pro? Maybe open your legs like a hooker too.
Get the hell out onto a real road for real conditioning. Position will come naturally.

Dane

by Dane

horse wrote:Get the hell out onto a real road for real conditioning. Position will come naturally.

lol! is it ok if I use the indoor velodrome across the street instead?

Then ride on the roads at the weekend?

mrfish

by mrfish

+1 on HUMP's suggestion.

If you look at the positions, the hoods position is lower, back flatter. If it's as stable as the drops position and weight on hands is acceptable, along with blood flow, then I would try moving your drops towards where the hoods are currently. Try moving say 2cm longer and up a bit and see what happens.

HillRPete

by HillRPete

Dane wrote:Also, I have an alternative position one the hoods when I'm going hard.

(image snipped)

Which is a bit more stretched out, would I lose this with a longer stem?

Cheers

Dane

I used to ride like that too, but once I fixed my position to be properly stretched out with proper saddle setback I found riding in the drops to be much more natural. Anyway, more an anecdote than proper advice.

phourgenres

by phourgenres

I have been fitted in a more upright position, and I feel like I have a lot more power than I did before. So now I pose the opposite question from before. Why go low? Is it just for aerodynamics?

One advantage that I have found besides the extra power (now that my handlebars are higher), is that when I do come out of my saddle to sprint or climb I have more stability, because I no longer have to crouch over when Im pushing hard on my pedals.

I am so confused now... :noidea:

Thoughts?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Tapeworm

by Tapeworm

Yes, aerodynamics. There is a balance between power, comfort and aerodynamics. The faster you go the more the equations tilts to aerodynamics (due to the quadratic nature of drag). Consider how fast you would go if you could halve your cda.
"Physiology is all just propaganda and lies... all waiting to be disproven by the next study."
"I'm not a real doctor; But I am a real worm; I am an actual worm." - TMBG