HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:44 am 

he slides forward to open up his hip angle since his seat is too far back and his bars are too low.

Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:44 am 

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:32 am 

Wow, I didn't realize it you guys pointed it out how far forward Contador sat on his saddle the hole time. Everyone in the video was sitting back. I find when I'm tired I start slipping forward, I'm wondering if that was the case with him.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:53 pm 

People usually scoot forward to open their hip angle during a hard effort, or if their seat is too low. A lot of the pros end up scooting way far forward, which has the same effect as if they ran less drop and had an appropriate angle for their build to begin with. Tom Danielson, Rory Sutherland, Cadel Evans, Chris Horner, Levi Leipheimer, Lance, etc. all ran a lot less drop than most of these dudes and all of them stay fairly planted while climbing. Contador has gone down a frame size over the years and gone lower with his stem and almost never is able to reach his drop so he probably suffers from the whole position trend except for the fact that he's so damn good that it really doesn't matter.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 6:52 pm 

KWalker wrote:
People usually scoot forward to open their hip angle during a hard effort, or if their seat is too low. A lot of the pros end up scooting way far forward, which has the same effect as if they ran less drop and had an appropriate angle for their build to begin with. Tom Danielson, Rory Sutherland, Cadel Evans, Chris Horner, Levi Leipheimer, Lance, etc. all ran a lot less drop than most of these dudes and all of them stay fairly planted while climbing. Contador has gone down a frame size over the years and gone lower with his stem and almost never is able to reach his drop so he probably suffers from the whole position trend except for the fact that he's so damn good that it really doesn't matter.

I second this quote

I also would point out look at Nibali.

HUMP

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:45 pm 

I agree too, but it must be a typo there "or if their seat is too low" => must meant "too high" no?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:18 pm 

Yeah, contador looks like he is on a pretty big frame. It looks like he rides a 56 or 58cm, and I think he is 5'9.

That makes sense about opening up your hip angle. Naturally your body feels more comfortable upright. I have never understood the concept of of when a rider rolls all the way forward (where you knees are practically touching their abdomen) is actually the most powerful position to be in for a pedal stroke - seems counterintuitive.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:45 pm 

phourgenres wrote:
Yeah, contador looks like he is on a pretty big frame. It looks like he rides a 56 or 58cm, and I think he is 5'9.

That makes sense about opening up your hip angle. Naturally your body feels more comfortable upright. I have never understood the concept of of when a rider rolls all the way forward (where you knees are practically touching their abdomen) is actually the most powerful position to be in for a pedal stroke - seems counterintuitive.

Contador rides a 52 Specialized Tarmac, being to big is out of the question. If anything it may be a tad small.

HUMP

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:18 pm 

Wow, it sure doesn't look like a 52. I guess he is so skinny he looks a lot taller and the frame looks bigger. Why would somone who is 5'9 ride a 52? Do that they do it so they get lift their seat up a lot higher than their stem and to get a shorter head tube?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:29 pm 

because they think that they need more drop.

No, I did mean if the seat is too low. I'm sure his probably isn't, but if a seat is too low the rider slides their hips forward rather than rolling them lots of the time.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:48 pm 

phourgenres wrote:
Wow, it sure doesn't look like a 52. I guess he is so skinny he looks a lot taller and the frame looks bigger. Why would somone who is 5'9 ride a 52? Do that they do it so they get lift their seat up a lot higher than their stem and to get a shorter head tube?

He rode a 54 TREK during the early Astana trek deal, but it was a 5.2 madone. He also has one review where he was riding a 56 TREK, but I am not so sure of that. Do a google search for "Probike Alberto Contador."

Cadel Evans is 5'-8" and he rides a 50 BMC. That seems to be the trend, but with Contador, yes, if he is sitting too low and the front end is too low, he will move forward to open the angle just as has been stated already.

HUMP

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:28 am 

KWalker wrote:

I had to read this twice and think about it, but it makes good sense. The amount of sheer time he is forward on the saddle leads me to think he too is a victim of modern racer fit trends today. But I guess if he can stay comfortable on the nose then it probably isn't going to hurt his performance and, he can certainly stay low this way for the aero benefit. But I don't' think I could ever ride this way.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:21 am 

Contador is standing quite a lot on the pedals during climbs. When his bars would be moved upwards for his seating position his standing position would suffer. Alberto doesn't seem to have a problem with sitting on the nose of the saddle. I never heard him complain about anything bike fit related, even the full carbon saddle on his TT bike seems to be fine.

I wouldn't try to be in the same position as a pro rider. Just make sure you're in a position which is comfortable for a day on the bike, seems a lot more important.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:40 pm 

I regard Francesco Moser as an example of near-perfect road form. Any comments ?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2Z61UVMWio" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

However, I also think comfort on the bike ruies. If you ride a lot with an ideal form in mind, you will gradually become comfortable with a more perfect form.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:53 pm 

My bike setups look like this, any chance of a critique?

I would like to get a really low position for that doesnt have my knees hitting my chest.
Also not feeling cramped so I can get good power. Is this just achieved by 'opening the hip angle'? How do you do this?
Road Bike:

Looking at this pic, I thought that my bars were too high and saddle too low. So I put the saddle up and forward and dropped the bars down (only just got the bike when pic taken)

Track Bike:

Any help and opions appreciated!

Dane

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:01 pm 

^^The second photo you look like your struggling to push a wheelbarrow full of concrete the first is much better.

Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:01 pm 

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next