How to sit like the pros?

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

KWalker

by KWalker

bars look too close and low at quick glance, but hard to tell from just a picture. I would never set my bars even close to that low if I were you- your back angle looks atrocious.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

HUMP DIESEL

by HUMP DIESEL

Road bike- raise your saddle about 5mm, move it forward by 10, and get a longer stem to stretch out a bit. I have found it much better for power to get low by bending the elbows and stretching a little farther out than down.

Track bike-longer stem positive rise to keep you in the drops without doing the scared cat arched back look. May need to move the saddle forward to get over the bottom bracket.

HUMP
Why are the best things in life always the ones you start last?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Dane

by Dane

Cheers for the replies..just what I wanted

Hump I'll try that over the winter. Already kind of done that on the track bike, +25 mm stem saddle up and forward, it feels much better and over the bb. I'll get photo'd again if possible.

Thanks again
Dane

Tomstr

by Tomstr

One of the main things I ran into when adjusting my position on the bike is a loss in breathing capacity. Especially when sitting very low. How do other people deal with this?
Ride it like you stole it

NealH

by NealH

I bend my elbows a good bit, and sometimes angled slightly to the outside, with my deltoids relaxed. My bars are positioned to take this this lower position into account. I will also work on breathing, deeper and from the stomach up. But I think the relaxed deltoids and good bend in the elbows, without a too low position does the most to ease the breathing.

Zoncolan

by Zoncolan

Rick wrote:I regard Francesco Moser as an example of near-perfect road form. Any comments ?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2Z61UVMWio" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Perfect, But don't anyone at home try that lol. Most riders just don't have the flexibility for that position.

Zoncolan

by Zoncolan

Dane wrote:My bike setups look like this, any chance of a critique?

Any help and opions appreciated!

Dane

Road bike, up 10mm with the saddle then new picture with cranks horizontal.

Track bike, way too much going on, saddle too high, bars too low and once that's fixed probably too short in the top tube.

bricky21

by bricky21

Zoncolan wrote:Road bike, up 10mm with the saddle then new picture with cranks horizontal.

And don't forget the plumb line hanging from the knee :lol:

Rick

by Rick

Zoncolan wrote:
Rick wrote:I regard Francesco Moser as an example of near-perfect road form. Any comments ?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2Z61UVMWio" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Perfect, But don't anyone at home try that lol. Most riders just don't have the flexibility for that position.

For me, an aspect of the "Moser position" is convincing yourself that you really can go faster longer even though you are in such an "unnatural position". I would encourage people to observe their speed on a flat areay and then force themselves into the "Moser position" and notice what happens to the speed, even though you might not feel as comfortable at first. Then, try to relax and "sink" into the position. Imagine your lower back as just COMPLETELY relaxed, such as to create a "sway-backed" contour. Rotate the hips so you are just laying horizoltal on the saddle. So relaxed you could take a nap. :)
Easy to say....but hard to accomplish.

phourgenres

by phourgenres

I find when I bend that low I have to make a conscious effort to keep my back straight, otherwise I start slouching.

So, are you saying you don't notice a decrease in lung capacity when in a Moser position?

HUMP DIESEL

by HUMP DIESEL

Tomstr wrote:One of the main things I ran into when adjusting my position on the bike is a loss in breathing capacity. Especially when sitting very low. How do other people deal with this?

Raising the bars and stretching out as opposed to down.

HUMP

mattyb

by mattyb

I bet the lack of breathing capacity is because of a compressed diaphragm. Get in your position and consciously breathe deeply. Expand your diaphragm rather than your chest - think bloated belly, not puffy chest. If it's restricted, then you need to adjust.

Rick

by Rick

So, are you saying you don't notice a decrease in lung capacity when in a Moser position?

When I am trying my best imitation of Moser, I don't notice a decrease in lung capacity. I tried it today just to see how I feel.
I feel a little loss of power because I can't push over the tops of the spin with as much power, and I can't hold the position for long, mainly because I don't like to ride without looking up frequently. So my neck hurts. If I can just look down, or focus in the wheel in front of me it is much more tolerable. I have to look up if rifing in front or solo, though.

Tomstr

by Tomstr

thx Hump & Matty.

I think my diaphragm is being compressed, so going forward seems to be the way to go. Very plausible since I run a 110mm stem.
Ride it like you stole it

HUMP DIESEL

by HUMP DIESEL

Tomstr wrote:thx Hump & Matty.

I think my diaphragm is being compressed, so going forward seems to be the way to go. Very plausible since I run a 110mm stem.

Too short could cause you to rotated your pelvis and compress your core area to try and get in a good position. I would go with a longer stem, but also think about coming up to allow you to rotate the hips forward a bit and flatten the back.

HUMP

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com