Baby, how to train

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

iaintas

by iaintas

So I'm having a baby in march which is very likely to reduce my cycling time, the question is should I get a powermeter and coach to try and focus my training in an attempt to reduce my time on the bike or would the odd hours and likely variation in my cycling times render this a bit obsolete, anyone else been in the same boat?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

At 50, I too am not looking for any more kids, but when we had our two kids [18months apart] there was not much additional time for anything else. If money is not a problem, then go ahead and buy the power meter/coach. If it is, wait to see how much time your child takes. You cannot turn off your kid while you go training. Of course, I do not know your life circumstances so you may be better off than me, but thoses were my challenges when I was younger.

Children and cycling are great fun but unless they are old enough for a tandem or some other carrier, one takes away from the other.
Last edited by Butcher on Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Geoff

by Geoff

When we had Sascha, my wife really just went for the odd spin during her pregnancy. It honestly doesn't matter what you plan, your baby will dictate what you can do and can't do. Everyone is different. There is no way to predict how you (or the baby) will 'react' to cycling. In the end, She couldn't ride much past 6-months and just stopped.

The key is what you do after the baby is born. Quite frankly, you may feel yourself at your limit just keeping-up with the feeding, etc. After you get into a routine (assuming your baby lets you), then you can always get the coach going. With respect to a PowerMeter, In my opinion you can never start too soon (although, if you can wait a bit, the new Campagnolo SRM will be out, if that would be of interest).

barry78

by barry78

you ll be suprised how much training you can squeeze in, my lad is 18 months old, last year managed to train for two ironman races, everytime he slept i ran for the door with my bike, and this year with the afternoon naps he has everyday makes for a perfect break on the bike on my days off, all in all run for the door when you get the chance and let her sleep when the little guy sleeps.

and congrads :)

Tapeworm

by Tapeworm

After our first child I had my best season ever (I refer to the thread a couple below this one "Time Crunched...").

After the second I did virtually no cycling for 6 months. Two are a lot more work!

That being said they are now 1 and 3 years old I'm getting back to training.

My tips would be:-
1) have some goals, it may only be a race or two but train to a purpose.
2) have a training plan. If time is short do NOT just make up what you're going week to week.
3) ensure everyone knows 1) and 2). Discuss with all relevant parties that on Thursday during kiddies nap time it's 5x5min intervals and you have a solid date with the turbo and a bucket.
4) accecpt that dispite 3) stuff happens with kids and will override all of the above.
"Physiology is all just propaganda and lies... all waiting to be disproven by the next study."
"I'm not a real doctor; But I am a real worm; I am an actual worm." - TMBG

mvogt46

by mvogt46

Thanks for this, very timely post. Our first (baby girl) is due in Feb and I've been wondering the same thing. As in how am I going to fit time for training in with work and being there as a new father.

I've taken a somewhat drastic approach and bought my wife a new car with the expectation that I will be selling mine in January (leaving us with 1 car). This will force me to ride to work each day, and while it is only an ~20 min commute to work, my work is right near the base of some good climbing. So I plan on riding to work in the morning, leaving work at a respectable hour and doing an hour or so of climbing when I can fit it in.

On top of this adhoc approach to mid-week training I plan on riding to my weekend races, which can vary from anywhere between a 45min commute to an hour and a half each way.

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

barry78 wrote:you ll be suprised how much training you can squeeze in, my lad is 18 months old, last year managed to train for two ironman races, everytime he slept i ran for the door with my bike, and this year with the afternoon naps he has everyday makes for a perfect break on the bike on my days off, all in all run for the door when you get the chance and let her sleep when the little guy sleeps.

and congrads :)

I am assuming that someone is watching the kid, right? That is the problem I had, someone has to watch the kids until they are old enough to watch themselves. Kids take time, sleeping or not. Maybe a trainer down in the basement would allow you to keep an eye on the kid while they are sleeping but you all know about the excitement of a trainer.

barry78

by barry78

of course someone watched our little guy, she was there, cycing does come first in a lot of cases but not that way haha

Geoff

by Geoff

Make sure that you don't take every opportunity to ride yourself when your baby is sleeping, don't forget about your spouse. There could be a lot of resentment that builds-up, make sure that you share that time...

HillRPete

by HillRPete

Geoff wrote:Make sure that you don't take every opportunity to ride yourself when your baby is sleeping, don't forget about your spouse. There could be a lot of resentment that builds-up, make sure that you share that time...

Seconded!

Take it easy for the first year, do not put (additional) pressure on yourself and/or your partner. My girl is 13 months now and I'm slowly trying to get back to regular exercise (as in 4+ times a week). I didn't do any racing for the entire first year. In hindsight one year of taking it easy is nothing, and it's impossible to make up for the time not spent with your child.

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

+1

dkwperth

by dkwperth

Your family is your most valuable asset, so I would second what mvogt46 suggested - figure out how you can commute to work and tie in some training time with commuting time, but be wary of taking too much. If riding is a must like going to work is (for most of us), then figure out how you can cut some time at work as well (come on, there's a bit of slack in almost all work places, especially if you're motivated to ride).

And this may not be useful now but when the little one is older, get ourself a solid bike and connect a kiddy trailer, then go and ride some hills!

Cheers,

Dave

PS Before our two were born, I asked my BIL whether he missed all the stuff he did before he had kids. He said 'yeah sometimes, but when you get a smile or a hug or one of 'em says 'I love you Daddy', who cares anyway?'. He was right too.

voodoojar

by voodoojar

I commute round trip about 1.5 hours 5 days a week. I've made my own training routine I do on my commute and it seems to work well for me. I don't really race anymore but I like to stay fast.

hanzypanzy
Shop Owner

by hanzypanzy

Hi All,

Very interesting reading how you all cope, my wife and I are 9mths in and I can honestly say, I needed the rest at the end of the season like never before!! Running for the door as little Max fell asleep and hoping that he would stay asleep for at least an hour to give my poor wife a break whilst I went out for sickly training rides! All very very hard work and you guys have covered most of the useful points:

1. Have a set training plan, but when I say set, I mean one that you can ride at `some point` during that particular day. Who knows if we will be up at 4am today or maybe he will sleep until 7am.

2. Try to discuss and plan it with those around you to avoid arguments

3. I used power this year and it did help, just to know when my trainer had set power levels, what exactly I had to do on each ride. NO junk miles are possible now, thats nappy/feeding/crying/walking up and down/cholic/driving to get to sleep time!

4. If baby is having a bad night followed by a day, then scrap that day and try not to worry about it. I did worry that now Ive missed one day Im doomed! No, as long as its not 3-4days in a row. Some days I went out warmed up and got stuck into a sprint session only to find I didnt have it in me, the lack of sleep meant I didnt recover as well, so it was a ride around then home instead. Go with it and do what you can.

5. As said before, baby and wife come first, enjoy time with them.

Congrats, its a funny way to laugh and cry at the same time in the delivery room!

Geoff

by Geoff

Don't worry. It will only last until he's 5 or so (I hope).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com