Kind of a vulgar question about bicycle fitting

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

phourgenres

by phourgenres

When we are doing a general fitting for a bicycle, and we are trying to get 1 to 2" inches of clearance over our standover height, how does our ball sack come into to play? Are we supposed to ignore it (move it aside), and take the height from where the pelvic bone starts? Or are we supposed to take it into some consideration?

I am 5'7.5". Standover height of 31" using the former statement as my measurement. I have been riding a 56cm up to this point (that is what I was fitted with), but I sometimes feel I should be riding smaller, because I only can put me seatpost up about 4-5" before my knees have gone beyond 30 degrees? What would be the standard size of someone with my build? 52 or 54cm? 172.5mm crank arm? 100mm stem?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bricky21

by bricky21

Is this a joke?

phourgenres

by phourgenres

No, unfortunately I am being serious.

devinci

by devinci

Hilarious!

perplex

by perplex

I could go on for a long time making amusing answers to your question, but I won't... :)

Lift aside what you can and take the measurement from the pelvic bone.
A Dane relocated to Sydney - and now back in CPH...

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

for your height, a 56cm bike is not common. that doesnt mean it is wrong. older trek oclv bikes ran small (56cm was to the top of the seatpost clamp) and i think Fujis were (are?) similar. also, most bikes these days have some amount of top tube slope to them, so your actual "clearance" would vary. it is sometimes stated that you should have at least a centimeter of clearance, from a safety standpoint, but with no real maximum clearance guide. these are all very, very general, and for the most part antiquated, rules of thumb, to help get you in the ballpark of being sized for a bike.
note i said "sized", not "fitted". being sized gets you on the appropriate size of bicycle for that model. fitting it is to tailor the bike to fit you, kind of like a suit (you buy a suit of a given size and then have it fitted to you). that, of course involves adjusting the saddle height, fore-aft, tilt, stem length, position, and angle, bar height, position, and angle, hoods, crank length, pedals, cleats, etc...
it's hard to say if your bike is too big without more info. the amount of sack clearance is only part of it, and may be overruled by more important issues.

Greg

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

For 5'7" 1/2 you most likely will find that the better size is a 52-54cm bike frame depending on your arm, torso and leg length.

Try the bike on when you are wearing your bibs, or bike shorts not your jeans, or sweat pants.
I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

KWalker

by KWalker

What I like to do is ride a saddle with a cutout, such as an SMP or Toupe, and actually cut a hole in my bibs and stick my ballsack through the saddle cutout! Works every time!
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

Roobay

by Roobay

KWalker wrote:What I like to do is ride a saddle with a cutout, such as an SMP or Toupe, and actually cut a hole in my bibs and stick my ballsack through the saddle cutout! Works every time!

Coool really coool :thumbup:
i like people... i just can't stand assholes

tonytourist

by tonytourist

KWalker wrote:What I like to do is ride a saddle with a cutout, such as an SMP or Toupe, and actually cut a hole in my bibs and stick my ballsack through the saddle cutout! Works every time!

:unbelievable:
I might need to try this! :smartass:

majklnajt

by majklnajt

try to stick the sack into your a$$ :D

Seriously, put them up & forward in your bibs.

naisan

by naisan

This thread has me so weak with laughter that I can barely type. . .

But it also has some practical gems that don't often get covered.

Lots of learning here. . . now please continue: I could use another laugh.

iamtak

by iamtak

you're on a 56? Let me guess, it happened to be in stock at the time of sale?

I am the same size you are and I always look in the low 50's. I know every bike and every body is different, but I cannot imagine a situation where a 56cm frame is the appropriate size for your body.

phourgenres

by phourgenres

Close, actually a deal I could not pass up on craigslist.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

roadman

by roadman

Long ball Larry...