Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Blog NEW Galleries NEW FAQ Contact About Impressum
It is currently Fri Dec 09, 2016 7:04 am
Recently the board software has been updated and there are some known bugs/failures:
- Avatars are currently not being displayed ✔ FIXED
- Tapatalk connection is currently broken ✔ FIXED
- Avatars cannot be uploaded ✔ FIXED

Please note that we will soon do some changes in WW board template design in case to get a fully mobile/desktop responsiveness board!
If you find more errors please post it here: http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=139062

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 7:43 am 

Hi,

Which electrolyte powder mix do you use in your water bottles when biking?
Powder mix from Powerbar, Hammer nutrition, Gatorade, SIS, etc.....or DIY ?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 8:45 am 

Mine is Staminade, not sure if it is available outside of Oz

Posted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 8:45 am 

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 11:50 am 

+1 for Staminade, also a fan of Powerade isotonic. Very similar salt/sugar concentrations, so very similar products. Gatorade is essentially just sugar so I would at least avoid that. Apple juice 1:1 with water and a pinch of salt works better.

There's also some compelling arguments to use sports drinks with different types of sugars, but I never find myself riding longer than 4.5 hours so I can usually get enough carbs through bars/gels

My SwiftCarbon Ultravox

My Velocite Selene

Disclosure: I'm sponsored by Velocite, but I do give my honest opinion about them (I'm endorsed to race their bikes, not say nice things about them)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 12:49 pm 

<2h plain water or lemon and some pink salt if its warm, 1 water 1 staminade for 2-3 and whatever I can put in my face for 3+

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 1:29 pm 

in a large water bottle (26oz i think), i use one scoop of SkratchLabs and one Nuun tab.

- Independent Fabrication Ti FLW + Campy SR11 + Enve 3.4 CK hubs

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 8:51 am 

I use one scoop of Sis powder in my bottles, also the gels and bars, great for running to.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:34 am 

kode54 wrote:
in a large water bottle (26oz i think), i use one scoop of SkratchLabs and one Nuun tab.

I wanted to try these two brands/ products also but why do you mix these two products? The Skratch and the nuun active are pretty similar, don't you think?

Did you try the "nuun energy" ?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:01 pm 

I'm using High5 Electrolyte tabs - http://www.wiggle.co.uk/high5-zero-elec ... k-20-tabs/ , I've found they are a really good value for money. Citrus and Tropical taste good for me, half of the tablet dissolves at 0.7l of water so in total you have 1.4l per tab, which is enough to do a 1-2h training. Also, it's easy to take a tab or two with you if you're doing longer rides.

//EDIT: sorry, I made a mistake, it's the whole tab per 0.7l for a normal drink and two tabs per 0.7l if you want a stronger flavor

Last edited by lovemyway on Sun Nov 27, 2016 9:22 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:35 pm 

Nuun tablets. I tried the High5 ones, like lovemyway, and although they are cheaper they aren't as tasty.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 3:21 am 

I use one scoop of 4:1 powder(hifive) and a nunn tablet in my bottles, also the hi 5gels and bars, great for riding

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 5:58 am 

I like the Skratch stuff (the lemon lime and green tea) but i have an easier time finding my second choice of GU Watermelon.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 5:38 pm 

For a seriously hard Century or similar, I like Hammer Perpetuem. But most of the time I have to admit that I just love the taste of lemon-lime Gatorade, mixed slightly weaker than recommended.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 12:24 pm 

Most of the time, this is completely unnecessary; it is just added sugar in your body witch is bad. Bad for your body, bad for your teeth.

Additionally, once you start introducing simple sugars, you have to keep taking them to avoid an insulin crash. Adding gels to the mix will often defeat the purpose of the fancy hydration mix; the additional sugar disrupts sugar/sodium balance in your gut and can cause bloat.

Just drink water. Unless you are riding at threshold for many hours in very hot weather, you just don't need hydration mix. Eat food during longer rides and you'll get all the sugar and salt you need.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 5:21 am 

I use Gatorade at about one-fourth strength, mostly just to give the water some taste.
The only downside results from my inability to spray my body during hot rides.

Posted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 5:21 am 

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 4:54 pm 

GothicCastle wrote:
Most of the time, this is completely unnecessary; it is just added sugar in your body witch is bad. Bad for your body, bad for your teeth.

Additionally, once you start introducing simple sugars, you have to keep taking them to avoid an insulin crash. Adding gels to the mix will often defeat the purpose of the fancy hydration mix; the additional sugar disrupts sugar/sodium balance in your gut and can cause bloat.

Just drink water. Unless you are riding at threshold for many hours in very hot weather, you just don't need hydration mix. Eat food during longer rides and you'll get all the sugar and salt you need.

Completely agree. After years racing, I do not drink any electrolyte drink, and do not take any glutamin, bcaa's and these stuff after training or racing. I recover only with natural food in which you can find all nutrients you need.