Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Blog NEW Galleries NEW FAQ Contact About Impressum
It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:35 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:41 am 

I decided to stop driving as much as i could and so started walking to work and riding everywhere else...

The walking became too easy and so i bought some ankle weights today to make things a bit harder on the walk which got me thinking...

would ankle weights be an effective way to increase your leg strength if you used them whilst cycling? Has anyone tried this?

Obviously not for the fashion weenie (or weight weenie really) but i was thinking about it and reckon it could really improve your hip flexor strength and upstroke whilst cycling... i think i might have just hit a goldmine of improvement for this years race season!! :mrgreen:

once you take them off - it would feel like you're flying! (ankle weight = 1kg per leg)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:55 am 

Stats wrote:
I decided to stop driving as much as i could and so started walking to work and riding everywhere else...

The walking became too easy and so i bought some ankle weights today to make things a bit harder on the walk which got me thinking...

would ankle weights be an effective way to increase your leg strength if you used them whilst cycling? Has anyone tried this?

Obviously not for the fashion weenie (or weight weenie really) but i was thinking about it and reckon it could really improve your hip flexor strength and upstroke whilst cycling... i think i might have just hit a goldmine of improvement for this years race season!! :mrgreen:

once you take them off - it would feel like you're flying! (ankle weight = 1kg per leg)

It would make absolutely no difference. It may make you feel like you are flying but the limiters in your endurance cycling are not dependent on strength. You want a better workout, ride harder. Your threshold power is your threshold power.

Posted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:55 am 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:40 am 

+1 and add some biomechanical issues and you end up with a bad idea.
:beerchug:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:39 am 

i've never tried it - but i'm still wondering how would it make no difference? surely the extra weight would force you to use more strength to pull up during a pedal stroke?

or do you mean because there is already resistance from the riding that to up the 'weight' so to speak, you just need to ride faster, thereby giving you more resistance?

i just thought because a lot of people on here do weights as well as riding that it might be a good compromise between the two - i'm not talking long distance riding, just 45mins or so... :noidea:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:15 pm 

Would it not be better to wear a ruck sack with extra weight in? Never done it but surely training with extra weight must give a harder workout?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:35 pm 

It's better to ride a heavier bike up hills. Same with riding with heavy back packs it will only strain your back more than it needs to.

I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:50 am 

Additional weight, regardless of where it is, won't make you "stronger". For endurance cycling your limiters in terms of power is not how "strong" your legs are. If ride up a hill with and do 300 watts (because that is your threshold) for that time it take you to get to the top the only difference adding weight will do will make you ride a bit longer, but still at 300 watts.

You want a harder workout going up a hill? Go faster.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:05 am 

Tapeworm wrote:
Additional weight, regardless of where it is, won't make you "stronger". For endurance cycling your limiters in terms of power is not how "strong" your legs are. If ride up a hill with and do 300 watts (because that is your threshold) for that time it take you to get to the top the only difference adding weight will do will make you ride a bit longer, but still at 300 watts.

You want a harder workout going up a hill? Go faster.

+1

There used to be a company (I think Pigg industries...) that used to make heavy water bottles filled with various metals, etc.. to promote strength training on the bike.. It was always ironic to me how people would spend all of this money to make their bikes as light as possible then put these heavy metal filled bottles for training. I always wondered if people using these bottles ever broke their cages or frames as the bottles weighed quite a bit more than liquids...

Billy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 12:36 am 

Tapeworm is correct. We often only apply "watts" to cycling because, we are cyclist and we're narrow minded 8) :lol: . A watt is a simple unit of for an amount of work being done. If my physics from college serves me correctly a watt measures the rate of energy conversion. One watt is equivalent to 1 joule (J) of energy per second, or something (I just know I screwed that up). So, one watt is the rate at which work is done when an object is moved at a speed of one meter per second against a force of one newton (probably also not 100% correct but close).

When tapeworm says that strength is not a limiting factor he's saying that (for us anyway) a increase in force (what strength would directly relate to) does not translate to more watts unless the velocity is the same. If I recall (from an Allen Lim thing he did) a person climbing stairs is doing about 200 watts of work (per second I assume). So....... I'd say creating more power is more about increasing force and velocity of a fixed time period (like 20 min or 60 min). If all it took to go faster was strength, professional cyclist would like NFL linebackers. They are big and strong, and slow :lol:.

There is still some validity to the old (are they old now?) sayings; "Alls you can do is alls you can do" and "you have to ride fast to ride fast"

Starnut

BB30.COM

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:22 pm 

Using ankle weights is about as good a way to tear up your knees as there is.

Remember where the pressure will come from-the extra weight on the ankle acts as a force pulling your knee DOWN as your leg goes UP.

So you have the lower portion of you leg pulling downwards as your femur is pulling upwards. What is in the middle? The knee joint getting pulled apart.

Stop this madness right now. If you want to strengthen your legs, there are many exercises that either isolate particular parts of the leg muscles or work them in unison.

As for cycling, if your workouts are too easy you are obviously not pedaling hard enough.

http://berzin.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:47 pm 

STARNUT wrote:
One watt is equivalent to 1 joule (J) of energy per second

That is correct!

Quote:
if [..] a person climbing stairs is doing about 200 watts of work (per second I assume)

Watts per second? Now you're just being redundant! You just told us a watt is 1 J per second, so watts per second doesn't make any sense ;) (unless you're talking about acceleration of power, then every extra second, you'd be doing an extra 200 watts :shock: )

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:35 am 

One of my buddies adds an 8 pound weight to his bottom bracket during the off season. I asked him last Saturday if he mounted it yet and he said no because he wasn't quite ready to hurt that much just yet.

I feel the same way about off season weight training. I should have started already but haven't because it slows me down, which is no fun. I think a lot of people are enjoying the slower pace that occurs this time of year. There's a whole lot more chatting going on.

There's plenty of time to find a program to slowly gain strength.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:30 am 

Does the same go for training on heavier wheels? No benefit? I would think there is, I do the same group ride with heavier wheels=more effort to keep up?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 2:56 am 

giantchris wrote:
Does the same go for training on heavier wheels? No benefit? I would think there is, I do the same group ride with heavier wheels=more effort to keep up?

Search on some of the drawbacks/benefits of "heavy wheels" on this forum. You be amazed how little difference it actually makes.

Posted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 2:56 am 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:23 pm 

Quote:

I believe making anything heavier only requires more effort (power) to match the uphill speed and acceleration of a lighter bike. In a way, what you say is true, with heavier wheels you will need more effort to keep up if the group rides at the same speed all the time. If riding alone, then you should just go faster with lighter wheels. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the only difference adding rotating weight vs adding non-rotating weight is that the rotating weight will need more work to accelerate than the non-rotating weight. This is because the kinetic energy associated with getting a rotating weight to a linear speed v and rotational speed w is T= (1/2)mv^2 + (1/2)Iw^2. A non-rotating weight only has the linear term. Or in terms of force, the rotating weight will need a linear force, F=ma and torque/moment M=I(dw/dt). So, no difference when not accelerating.

You can always "simulate" riding a heavier bike (uphill) by changing to a harder gear. This requires more force (and lower cadence) to achieve the same power.