HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Blog NEW Galleries NEW FAQ Contact About

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 5:52 am 

For the first time in many years, I've diligently pursued strength and core work over the winter. The results have been a resounding success.

What I forgot to plan for was when and how to taper off this effort. Racing has started and the training and fast group rides have really accelerated in intensity. The problem I'm facing now is residual fatigue.

I was hoping to continue until the end of February, but now it's obvious I need to cut back on the weights, but how? Lighter weights same reps, cut down to once a week? The possibilities are substantial. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Posted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 5:52 am 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 2:31 pm 

I usually maintain the core work one or two days a week through the season. Cut way back on leg stuff and usually do one general/upper body circuit type training Tuesday mornings with the usual Tuesday night crit in the evening.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 4:11 pm 

According to Joe Friel you should continue a maintenance regime through the racing season of one session a week. He does suggest though that if you have a target event, say at a weekend, you can skip your weight workout completely that week. Not sure about core work but I tend to do yoga anyway and will continue with that year round.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 5:32 pm 

I enter every season with the intention of keeping up at east one day of strength work on weights.
Invariably, by May, I have decided that it just takes me too long to recover from weight sessions and they are just making me tired, sore, and sluggish. So I give up.

But THIS is the year that is going to be different! :thumbup:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 6:24 pm 

Rick wrote:
I enter every season with the intention of keeping up at east one day of strength work on weights.
Invariably, by May, I have decided that it just takes me too long to recover from weight sessions and they are just making me tired, sore, and sluggish. So I give up.

I think the key is just doing maintenance during the race season. Once a week with 2 to 3 sets of eight reps. Plenty of rest between sets, say 90 secs to three mins, and just a small group of exercises. I do squats, bent over rowing, bench press, lunges and upright rows or bicep curls. I would add a core workout to this but I do a couple of yoga classes a week. As I say, if you have a key event, or are tired just skip a week.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 1:15 am 

http://ylmsportscience.blogspot.com/201 ... trate.html

Just cut back slightly during the peak period and only cease for very short periods, perhaps during a 2 week competition period.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 4:51 am 

Some really great advice here! I really do like the results of strength and core work and I'm sort of disappointed that I simply can't keep it going. It just takes to much out of me, like some of you have mentioned. Interweaving and alternating is the way to go, and don't feel bad if you're just to tired, right?

Next year I'm starting a month or more earlier. Having that little bit of tone and muscle kind of feels like armor.

Thanks again!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 4:55 am 

KWalker wrote:
http://ylmsportscience.blogspot.com/2015/12/another-illustration-to-demonstrate.html

Just cut back slightly during the peak period and only cease for very short periods, perhaps during a 2 week competition period.

Nice reference! Thanks man!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 5:01 pm 

Rick wrote:

I just put it on my training plan and that forces me to do it. I have weights at home as well, a really good set of dumbbells and a bench, so they are ready to be used with no need for GYM membership or a trip out of the house. Keep good form, take longer breaks between sets than GYM bunnies would, and do aim for some sort of progression (if you are doing the sets put up the weight!) As for core I have loved yoga, done wonders for my back, and plenty of good apps on the iPad (Yoga Studio is excellent) Pilates has many followers but that actually hurt my back more.

Posted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 5:01 pm