HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 202 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 14  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Powerprofiles
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:50 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:43 pm
Posts: 2893
Location: Canada
Latest test after a week of LSD training in the warmth of Cuba

FTP: 4.85 w/kg
5min: 5.7 w/kg

Hope I reach the mytical 5w/kg this season. Will mostly ride xc events


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Powerprofiles
Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:50 pm 


Top
  
 
 Post subject: Re: Powerprofiles
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:54 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jul 11, 2010 6:58 pm
Posts: 236
Location: MS, USA
FTP: 3.6w/kg
5min: 4.7w/kg
1min: 7.2w/kg
5sec: 15w/kg

_________________
My Giant TCR Advanced SL 2014
My Specialized Venge 2013
My Scott Plasma 2


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Powerprofiles
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:56 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:49 pm
Posts: 57
FTP 4.9
5' 6.0
2' 6.94
5" ... less than my wife.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Powerprofiles
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:25 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Aug 11, 2006 4:38 pm
Posts: 176
Location: lancashire
I did a new power pb for 5 mins on Saturday 6.05 wkg

_________________
Scott spark LTD,Kinesis -crosslight PRO 5,kinesis evo,TK,Orbea alma,Canyon Ultimate cf


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Powerprofiles
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:27 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:22 pm
Posts: 261
5 second power - 1210w - 16.13w/kg
1 minute power - 605w -8.06w/kg
5 minute power - 377watts - 5W/kg
20 minute power - 338watts - 4.5w/kg
FTP - 300W - 4W/kg

haven't had my power meter long, I think i could hit higher numbers for all these but these are what I've got so far.
the first 4 are from golden cheetah, the FTP is from doing a 20minute time trial and multiplying the watts from that by .95
golden cheetah has my CP at 321 which is likely to be more accurate?

also, I've looked at the Training and racing with a power meter book and these all fall in the middle to top of the cat 2 group. how does the american cat 2 group compare to cat2 riders in the uk?

I'm 24 years old, 75kg and have been riding about a year. had my first race 2 days ago.
was a cat 4 crit and i felt like i had the legs to compete but couldn't get my positioning right to move up on the last few laps corners so i finished in the middle of the bunch


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Powerprofiles
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:33 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:19 pm
Posts: 365
Beardking, you are racing cat 4 with those 5seconds power?!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Powerprofiles
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:28 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:22 pm
Posts: 261
yeah, you have to start in cat 4 till you get enough points to move up


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Powerprofiles
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:48 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:49 pm
Posts: 57
well then you've got some good potential. get a good coach.

one thing to consider with these numbers is that the gap between, say, cat 3 and cat 2 or cat 2 and cat 1 is not just better power, but the ability to repeat better power over and over - being fit and gifted enough to be strong at the end of a race, and of course savvy enough to save those bursts until it really matters.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Powerprofiles
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:14 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:03 am
Posts: 296
Location: Melbourne
Beardking with those numbers you'll be winning Cat 4 races in no time once you sort out your race strategy and positioning. Just be patient and remember to learn from your mistakes in your races. You should be thinking to yourself at any point in the race you are making an effort 'is this going to help me win', if the answer is no then stop doing it.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Powerprofiles
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:19 pm 
Online

Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 8:30 pm
Posts: 3670
Location: Bay Area
beardking wrote:
5 second power - 1210w - 16.13w/kg
1 minute power - 605w -8.06w/kg
5 minute power - 377watts - 5W/kg
20 minute power - 338watts - 4.5w/kg
FTP - 300W - 4W/kg

haven't had my power meter long, I think i could hit higher numbers for all these but these are what I've got so far.
the first 4 are from golden cheetah, the FTP is from doing a 20minute time trial and multiplying the watts from that by .95
golden cheetah has my CP at 321 which is likely to be more accurate?

also, I've looked at the Training and racing with a power meter book and these all fall in the middle to top of the cat 2 group. how does the american cat 2 group compare to cat2 riders in the uk?

I'm 24 years old, 75kg and have been riding about a year. had my first race 2 days ago.
was a cat 4 crit and i felt like i had the legs to compete but couldn't get my positioning right to move up on the last few laps corners so i finished in the middle of the bunch


As you may or may not have found, the power profile isn't too relevant to actually racing with success. A local racer is a Cat 1 that gets about half dozen wins a season and has about a half dozen national titles under his belt. His FTP is a whopping 320 at 155-160lbs...

I have a higher w/kg and I don't have nearly as much success as he does.

_________________
Don't take me too seriously. Super Six Evo Hi-Mod


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Powerprofiles
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:59 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:22 pm
Posts: 261
yeah, I realise I need to work on my race craft/tactics and that will take time and experience.
I don't really expect anything this season other than to do as many races as possible and learn as much from them as I can.
I've entered a 2/3/4 for this weekend so that should be a nice tough ride :D


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Powerprofiles
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:28 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:19 pm
Posts: 365
We know KWalker. As mentioned beardking those are good numbers to start out with. Make sure you can capitalise on it and move up the grades. Also to improve on it, since you say you just started out, there is a lot of potential to tap, I can see you doing well in road races. I think you can still lose some weight, I am the same age but I weight 68kg and 178cm with a tested 318 FTP last month. Not that the FTP result matters as everyone that post theirs here tested with different devices differently. Most important is we have to improve and work with our number.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Powerprofiles
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:31 am 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 14, 2009 6:08 am
Posts: 7504
Location: Geeeelong! / YURP
gmitt98 wrote:
one thing to consider with these numbers is that the gap between, say, cat 3 and cat 2 or cat 2 and cat 1 is not just better power, but the ability to repeat better power over and over - being fit and gifted enough to be strong at the end of a race, and of course savvy enough to save those bursts until it really matters.

This.

So, so much this.

_________________
http://www.nicksquillari.com.au


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Powerprofiles
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:26 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:19 pm
Posts: 204
KWalker wrote:
As you may or may not have found, the power profile isn't too relevant to actually racing with success. A local racer is a Cat 1 that gets about half dozen wins a season and has about a half dozen national titles under his belt. His FTP is a whopping 320 at 155-160lbs...

I have a higher w/kg and I don't have nearly as much success as he does.


So, what kind of "tactics" do you think could be the key to his success?

Besides drafting whenever possible, and avoid pulls at all costs. The only thing I can think of (with a low FTP like that by cat 1 standards), is they have a wicked sprint.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Powerprofiles
Posted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:26 am 


Top
  
 
 Post subject: Re: Powerprofiles
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:11 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 03, 2007 10:39 am
Posts: 2337
A good sprint is way down on the list of things which make a good racer. Avoiding pulls/efforts at all costs, or putting your nose in the wind, is also a fallacy. You have to make the right effort at the right time. I am sure there are those who have either done this themselves or seen it - breakaway after breakaway tries to get away then all of a sudden one goes with several guys who had nothing to do with the earlier breaks or closing gaps. And when they go there is no half-arsed effort. Many more anecdotes along these lines.

_________________
"Physiology is all just propaganda and lies... all waiting to be disproven by the next study."
"I'm not a real doctor; But I am a real worm; I am an actual worm." - TMBG


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 202 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 14  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:23 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour




Advertising   –  FAQ   –  Contact   –  Convert   –  About

© Weight Weenies 2000-2013
hosted by starbike.com


How to get rid of these ads? Just register!


Powered by phpBB