Powerprofiles

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

mrgray

by mrgray

@carpetfibre - i happened across something on Pro Cyclists Data (twitter account) that is of relevance. Caleb Ewan developed 1349 Watts (max) to get third in Tour of Poland Stage 1. He weighs ~ 61 kg too! Not his max ever I presume but must be a pretty good estimate of same. Yours is slightly higher. So get out there and race dude!
Bobo S&S Steel Bike - 7.5 kg
Oltre XR2- 6.6 kg
Look 585 - 6.8 kg
Look 695 SR :D

mrgray

by mrgray

@carpetfibre - the above might sound glib but I'm quite serious. Even if your PM is slightly off you are still developing insanely high power to weight.
Oltre XR2- 6.6 kg
Look 585 - 6.8 kg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

If only WT team directors knew of this thread.

jekyll man

by jekyll man

Tinea Pedis wrote:If only WT team directors knew of this thread.

They're too busy reading the pro discussion thread, trying to pick up tips on how to read races (and how to win them) .... :wink:
Official cafe stop tester

CarpetFibre

by CarpetFibre

Thanks for the encouragement guys.

It's instructive to note, however, that repeatability of such numbers is probably the most important facet to racing, and this is where I struggle. I lack the endurance and aerobic adaptations that pro cyclists (and indeed good amateurs) possess, and pay for big efforts dearly. Regarding sprints, my max power figures usually come from fooling about on rides with my mates or just sticking one in for the 30mph sign outside home; usually not a fast and hectic run-in which would undoubtedly suppress my kick. There is so much nuance to racing, and that to me is the most impressive and humbling thing to me about pro cyclists; they have the numbers despite all the other factors and what they've already done that race. On top of that, I will be forever humbled by their psychological fortitude; how they stay so measured and focused, how they deal with nerves, disappointment, bad luck, defeat etc. These are qualities that do not come naturally to me, at least.

For me, I really lack the time (and money!) to race, and investing myself into serious amateur racing is not my life's calling (let alone becoming pro...). I am quite content with showing up to some club hill climbs at the end of the year, paying a couple of quid, and flogging myself up a 2-3 minute climb. Testing my limits like that in a 'race' environment is definitely good for the soul, and it keeps my head screwed on for life's other endeavours.

mentok

by mentok

CarpetFibre wrote:repeatability

This. I can 500 for 5 and 400 for 20 but i'll be *f##k* if i can do them more than once every few weeks let alone more than once a day. In either case I'm only doing those sort of numbers somewhat rested and after a few weeks of solid build.

This thread is about cherry-picking. MMP tells an interesting story, but far, far, far from the full story.

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

jekyll man wrote:

They're too busy reading the pro discussion thread, trying to pick up tips on how to read races (and how to win them) .... :wink:

RyanH

by RyanH

prebsy wrote:This thread is more humbling than any race I've ever done.

These PRs don't mean much. I ride with a junior that can push 6w/kg for 16 minutes but depending on the course, I can beat him in a race with my relatively feeble 20 min 4.8w/kg. On the flip side of the spectrum, another riding buddy that's a Cat 1, I can set the pace on our Nichols group ride (starts off as a 10 minute effort) so that he gets dropped but he'll almost always handily beat my ass in a race.

This year, my power profile was down across the board from 2014, but I'm a lot more competitive in races.

On a side note, if you want to be humbled, come do Sherman Pass road race where the winners in each category pretty much put up the same times, right around 3:30 for 52 miles and 9500 ft of climbing. That was my most terrible racing experience ever.

CulBaire

by CulBaire

Its the middle of winter here and has been quite cold (relative speaking), a new job and looking at buying a house so I have been doing very little in the way of riding lately; the riding I have been doing however has generally been easy pandering, easy riding with a few hard sprint / anaerobic efforts between between 10sec and 1min thrown in or an hour full blast on the MTB on a trail near home.

Not sure if it's helping the fitness at all, but it has certainly improved my sprint numbers below taken from this mornings ride (except 30sec which was last week). At first I figured my Stages was out due to the cold, but I hit 15.05w/kg @ 5sec last week on the MTB which has an SRM so it appears reasonably close :)

1sec: 16.04w/kg
5sec: 15.15 w/kg
15sec: 14.00 w/kg
30sec: 10.88 w/kg
1min: 7.65 w/kg
3min: 5:65 w/kg
5min: 5:30 w/kg
20min: 4:35 w/kg

PinaRene

by PinaRene

Last months powerprofile from me 48yrs ( 69kg ) and my my son 18yrs ( 58kg ) ... He will beat me anytime :cry:

crux

by crux

Not really a climber :')

1sek: 20.7w/kg
5sek: 19.2w/kg
1min: 8.1w/kg
5min: 5.6w/kg
20min: 3.9w/kg

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

Pretty ace you can ride with your son, regardless of whether or not he's faster.

CummoY

by CummoY

49 Years Old - Racing Cat 1 Europe many years from 1986.
Last 5 years cat 1 Asia.
Road Sprinter
Weight 70.00kgs

5s - 19.43
1m - 9.56
5m - 5.51
20m - 5.11

All data from SRM.
Colnago C60 C64
Venge Vias - RB
S-Works Venge 2017, 2016x3, 2014
S-Works Tarmac 2017 - Boonen
Pinarello Dogma
BMC IMPEC x 3
Time RXRS BL, RXR, VXRS
Look 595 - Cofidis
Specialized Transition
Dengfu x 5
Razesa Banesto
Carrera - Max
Alan
Eddy Merckx Corsa 01

mrgray

by mrgray

@ CummoY - wow. your 20 min is so high relative to your 5 min. and your 1 min is mind breaking. as is your 5 s. i presume your 5 min is higher than presented but you haven't had an opportunity to focus simply on that.

are you winning much? plus i want pictures of the race bike please.
Oltre XR2- 6.6 kg
Look 585 - 6.8 kg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

CummoY

by CummoY

My 20 mins in mid year was 358 watts @ 70.00kgs.

I didn't really train 5mins and the 1 min numbers are so high because i really trained for specific road sprints and lead outs and I peaked at 600 plus for the 1 minute in specific intervals. I sprint at 1300 watts plus, these days though as i get older the 1200 is more regular. I won recently the sprinters jersey in the Tour de Bintan, one of the biggest races in Asia with "young " riders flying in from Australia etc...

I race for Specialized Mavericks, have several race bikes - Venge Vias, Venge, Tarmac, Colnago, Time, Eddy Merckx.... maybe you can check out the Specialized Mavericks Facebook page and see the bikes there, I am nicknamed "Walnut" or my actual name is Youcef Cummings.
Imagebilder kostenlosImagebild hochladen
Colnago C60 C64
Venge Vias - RB
S-Works Venge 2017, 2016x3, 2014
S-Works Tarmac 2017 - Boonen
Pinarello Dogma
BMC IMPEC x 3
Time RXRS BL, RXR, VXRS
Look 595 - Cofidis
Specialized Transition
Dengfu x 5
Razesa Banesto