Powerprofiles

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Method01

by Method01

JamieL wrote:Last couple of weeks:

1hr 5.4W/kg

Impressive :thumbup:. I bet you have more then fine results?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

JamieL

by JamieL

Much easier to have high W/kg when you weigh 60kg...

Method01

by Method01

JamieL wrote:Much easier to have high W/kg when you weigh 60kg...

I don't really agree on this one. People who weigh less, aren't able to reach higher power outputs (in general).

Besides that, W/kg IMO is not a good indicator.

For example: in mountain stages (gran fondo's), heavier people with the same or a bit lower W/kg can finish before me because there will be always flat parts. If someone who weighs 10kg more and has the same w/kg, they don't have to go as high in % of their FTP on the flat.

In figures:
Me with FTP 248 watt is 4,26w/kg
Person B with FTP 277 is 4,26w/kg

If we work together on the flat and a 200 watt output is needed, I'm at 80% of my FTP and person B just 72%. It also means I arrive at the climbs with more fatigue, so my weight advantage uphill is partly gone.

jekyll man

by jekyll man

I think Jamie's race results (not grand fondos etc) speak for themselves :wink:
He's doing owrate :thumbup:

Method , i think you're missing something in your comparison
Official cafe stop tester

Method01

by Method01

jekyll man wrote:Method , i think you're missing something in your comparison

What am I missing :) ? You mean the weights? Obviously person B is heavier.

jekyll man

by jekyll man

If 2 riders with a similar w/kg @ threshold but of different weights are going at the same speed, then they should be exerting themselves to a similar percentage.

When you add in how much extra "lardy boy" is having to produce to overcome his probable increase in frontal area, they could actually be working a greater amount than yourself.

Come to the longer hills, and he will probably start exerting his own gravitational field :wink:

Solution? Sit in behind them on the flat, then disappear when it goes upwards.

What is probably more relevant to gran fondo "success" is your base endurance. It's quite possible that you may have a "decent" FTP but does your power profile drop quite sharpish after 90-120 mins?

While FTP and w/kg are reasonable indicators there are too many other things that in real world racing that can change your performance regardless of what "numbers" say.

in my experience as a time trialler who's fairly small with an "average" power output, there's plenty of people i can beat regularly (with i expect a similar p/w ratio) , until its windy; then the big guys just out muscle me, regardless of everything else :noidea:
Official cafe stop tester

Method01

by Method01

You are correct that the frontal area definitely has an influence, but I'm not sure about you saying that it would completely make up the advantage of more absolute power. It depends of course.

However, in gran fondo's it is about endurance. In the last miles, even when it's flat, small guys with low ftp's can drop heavier guys. Nevertheless, the lightweights problem could be the mass start, you have to go with the first (to be in a good peloton). In the start it is all about absolute power, which I don't have so the first 20km I suffer at 182 average heart rate.

JamieL

by JamieL

I actually agree with Method on this, for almost all the racing i've done, i'd happily swap 10kg for another 50W. It would bring my W/kg down but i'd be able to ride at a lower % of FTP on the flatter stuff and be fresher on the hills.
An example: In a hilly race last year i got away with 3 others, all big guys with FTP >380W (in one case >410W). We rolled through and off for 40km then had some hills. I'd not looked at the route and was being a bit clueless but by doing my share of the work on the flat i was cooked by the time the road started going up and got nothing. Of course, my tactics were wrong but i think in a GranFondo where you're sort of expected to take your turns on the flat this is an issue for the lighter guys.

CulBaire

by CulBaire

Another update, as I seem to be knocking out PB's all over the shop!

1sec: 15.08w/kg
5sec: 13.36 w/kg
15sec: 11.65 w/kg
1min: 7.35 w/kg
3min: 5:65 w/kg << Up 30w since my last 3min effort.
5min: 5:01 w/kg

20min set back in June, hope to test again in the next few weeks
20min: 4:07 w/kg

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

JamieL wrote:I actually agree with Method on this, for almost all the racing i've done, i'd happily swap 10kg for another 50W. It would bring my W/kg down but i'd be able to ride at a lower % of FTP on the flatter stuff and be fresher on the hills.
An example: In a hilly race last year i got away with 3 others, all big guys with FTP >380W (in one case >410W). We rolled through and off for 40km then had some hills. I'd not looked at the route and was being a bit clueless but by doing my share of the work on the flat i was cooked by the time the road started going up and got nothing. Of course, my tactics were wrong but i think in a GranFondo where you're sort of expected to take your turns on the flat this is an issue for the lighter guys.

w:co-efficient of drag.

Otherwise known as 'why smaller guys don't tend to TT as well as bigger dudes'.

fancycoconut

by fancycoconut

16, 51.4 kg

1sec= 18.45 w/kg
5sec= 17 w/kg
1min= 8.76 w/kg
5min= 5.67 w/kg
10min= 5.21 w/kg
20min= 4.82 w/kg
ftp= 4.58 w/kg

should get my cat4>3 upgrade early next season.

Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez

by Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez

Thibaut Pinot and his brother/trainer Julien released some values collected during 5 or 6 seasons

Here are is 2012-2013 power to weight ratios

5min 7,4W/kg
10min 6.9W/kg
20min 6.5W/kg
1hr 5.7W/kg

His power is remarkably steady between 5 and 20 min. Only lack some resistance around the hour.

CulBaire

by CulBaire

Finally got to do a proper 20min test on the same climb I do all my testing on, the result was a little lower than I would have hopped another 5w would have been nice... :|

1sec: 15.08w/kg
5sec: 13.36 w/kg
15sec: 11.65 w/kg
1min: 7.35 w/kg
3min: 5:65 w/kg
5min: 5:01 w/kg
20min: 4:14 w/kg

SLCBrandon

by SLCBrandon

deleted
Last edited by SLCBrandon on Mon Nov 17, 2014 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Tom-s

by Tom-s

Please note he's only 51kg. Making absolute FTP only 245w. Sure, on a really hilly course he'll be fine.