HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:01 pm 

Hi all,

Quick background.... Currently entering my fourth and final year at university, workload is intense and hence cycling is suffering.

Over Christmas I read Chris Carmichaels time crunched cyclist book and to be honest, it appealed to me considering the limited hours for cycling I will have over the coming semester.

Now, the training plan set out by Carmichael lasts about 11 weeks, with best results seem around the 8 week mark apparently,

My main/major target for the season using this plan is the university championships sometime in later April/may (date tbc). Obviously, if following the plan correctly then I should start it 8weeks from this time, so early March.

My question is, what should it be doing from now until March time, considering I am still limited on time. So far I've just been trying to keep things ticking over, doing about 5hrs a week with a long ride on the weekend and shorter tempo efforts on the turbo in the week.

Specifically, I'm quite keen to keep the weekend ride going just to maintain my sanity, but is there anything else I should aim to do on my 2/3 a week turbo sessions other than just riding tempo for an hour (Boring, trying to replicate endurance miles)?

Hope this makes sense and appreciate any advice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:06 am 

you may want to make 2 of your week session harder then tempo and the other one just a light spin in Z1-Z2.

That way you would get the most out of your limited time. Try including some higher intensity efforts during those 2 days. Things like micro-intervals and some 3-5 minutes hard stuff. Then ride the rest of your week and week end rides at endurance pace.

Posted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:06 am 

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:15 am 

Ok so realistically il have max 3 turbo sessions a week.
Make one of these a steady hour at tempo.
Make another same length but with some longer efforts (5mins) and rest.
Then final turbo session shorter but shorter, sharper intervals
Then top off with a steady ride at weekend?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:04 am 

I'd proceed more like this:

day 1: short sharp stuff, modulate intensity so you get something like 4-6 min of total work if you nail it at supra max intensities or 15-20min total work volume if you go more toward high intensities (110-130% FTP).

idealy get a rest day or easy day

day 2: 3-4-5 minutes stuff at high intensity, same length rest

day 3: whatever, tempo, Z2

then week end ride

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:38 pm 

I use that book as well. I think it's worthwhile to start doing one or two of the prescribed workouts, if only to develop a feel for them and have a baseline.

Post subject: 20-40 minute workouts?
PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 6:31 am 

Greetings,

I've had some health issues that put me on the sideline and have been getting back into riding recently, I started recovery using the beach body T25 workouts which are basically 25 minutes of high intensity workouts, focusing on core strength,cardio, and speed. I've worn those out pretty well. I've been doing my normal 40-50 miles Sunday-Roubaix with the guys, and not up to where I was compared to them in 2013.

Now that the fitness is recovering, I have a good time slot where I can get in a good workout, but its hard to find training programs based on that short of a time period. I have access to a trainer at home, and a stationary bike at work. The stationary bike is all digital, so going from small to large chainring takes about 10 seconds of button pushing, but there are some decent interval preset programs on there.

I've done TABATA in the past on my trainer, and had great results, are there any other decent short programs I should be looking at? I've looked at time crunched cyclist, but I don't have that time typically, 30 minutes mon-fir and maybe one long ride ONI the weekend.

My goals at this point: I would really like to lose 5-10 lbs (I'm back at my previous weight already so this would be additional weight loss) and continue to increase fitness. With 2 kids under 3 and a 60 hour a week job, I have no visions on grandeur soloing to local crit wins or anything, just looking to be better/ healthier.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 7:40 am 

not sure if this is what you want to do, but the shortest workout i do is a vo2max session:

10min warmup
4 sets of (3min on / 3min off)
extra cool down as required

that's 34 minutes including ~12minutes @ 120% of FTP.

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4