Watts at LT!?

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

skill

by skill

Hi!

Following the question of what VO2 max you guys got, i would like to ask you how many watts you are pushing at lactate threshold. Please say what lactate values you measure as LT too! This varies from where you were tested.

I measure my LT at 2,2-2,5mmol, and were pushing 315-320watts.

skill
One good day makes up for ten bad ones - tenfold

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Huggaved

by Huggaved

I´m at 310-315 watts at threshold. I hope to get better power next season. I´m 18 years old.

xcfisher

by xcfisher

408 at threshold. I'm 22 and a professional mountain biker.

big fellow

by big fellow

i don't mean to be negative or anything, but a couple of points need to be brought up with regards to lactate testing:

1) what power measuring devices you are using in your lab tests? The laboratory gold standard is the Lode ergometer, which is accepted as the best, most reliable and most valid. SRM cranks also are well accepted but at a research level, the Lode is the best.

This has consequences with respect to what is a watt (pardon the pun :wink: ). My lab has a Cardgirus, a Spanish made ergometer. It is excellent but I know that 100 watts on that is easier than 100 watts on a Lode. I am definite that this varies on other ergometers as well.

2) what equipment are you using to measure lactate? once again, lab standard is equipment such as the YSI range which is quite good. equipment such as the accusport although shown in a couple of studies to be accurate can be reliable. as the above point - is 2.5 mmol really 2.5 mmol? has your equipment been calibrated with known standards prior to every test? blood lactate or plasma lactate?

don't mean to rain on anyone's parade but just some thoughts.....

cheers

VVV

by VVV

425 watts at threshold, VO2max is 66.

And it was on a lode.

skill

by skill

I also tested on a Lode. I am pretty sure the lactate values are accurate. It is calibrated before each test, and as the place I was tested is a known facility where all the elite athletes in Norway is tested, I am pretty sure it is top-of-the-line equipment.

skill

by skill

xcfisher wrote:408 at threshold. I'm 22 and a professional mountain biker.

Thats great! What is your weight, and what races do you participate in??

skill

John979

by John979

big fellow wrote:i don't mean to be negative or anything, but a couple of points need to be brought up with regards to lactate testing:

1) what power measuring devices you are using in your lab tests? The laboratory gold standard is the Lode ergometer, which is accepted as the best, most reliable and most valid. SRM cranks also are well accepted but at a research level, the Lode is the best.

This has consequences with respect to what is a watt (pardon the pun :wink: ). My lab has a Cardgirus, a Spanish made ergometer. It is excellent but I know that 100 watts on that is easier than 100 watts on a Lode. I am definite that this varies on other ergometers as well.

2) what equipment are you using to measure lactate? once again, lab standard is equipment such as the YSI range which is quite good. equipment such as the accusport although shown in a couple of studies to be accurate can be reliable. as the above point - is 2.5 mmol really 2.5 mmol? has your equipment been calibrated with known standards prior to every test? blood lactate or plasma lactate?

don't mean to rain on anyone's parade but just some thoughts.....

cheers

Good points here. Personally, I don’t like the term “at threshold” because while there is a fairly standard definition for this term, many use it loosely. I prefer the more specific “Critical Power” terminology, which is simply the highest average power a rider can sustain for a given time period, typically 1, 5, 20 and 60 minutes. Maximal Aerobic Power tests are also good, but protocol dependant. In addition, absolute values alone don’t mean much; some relativistic determination must be applied, such as “watts/kg” or “watts/(kg^2/3).”
John979

John979

by John979

One more thing to consider about lab testing is that unless a rider is acclimated to ergometer-based riding, lab results many not accurately assess power output because your muscles are not used to riding in this fashion. Given this, it’s a good idea to ride on an indoor trainer for a couple weeks before any lab test.
John979

xcfisher

by xcfisher

xcfisher wrote:

skill

weight is 127 pounds; I race Norba races and a few world cups. Testing is done in lab, and I train with an SRM. I also have a portable blood lactate meter that I use sometimes. I live and train at sea level, and my V02 is about 70.

Ridley

by Ridley

xcfisher wrote:
xcfisher wrote:

skill

weight is 127 pounds; I race Norba races and a few world cups. Testing is done in lab, and I train with an SRM. I also have a portable blood lactate meter that I use sometimes. I live and train at sea level, and my V02 is about 70.
This would get you up on Alpe'duez in 37minutes, if you're able to ride on tresshold. :shock:
Go to road cycling :lol:

Dr.Dos

by Dr.Dos

Jens Voigts output is ~ 400 W at threshold and the guy weighs over 75 kg, thats 30% more than you. Ok, Jens won several Tour stages and wore the yellow jearsey twice, but who is he really anyway...? :roll:

Ridley

by Ridley

Dr.Dos wrote:Jens Voigts output is ~ 400 W at threshold and the guy weighs over 75 kg, thats 30% more than you. Ok, Jens won several Tour stages and wore the yellow jearsey twice, but who is he really anyway...? :roll:

They told me boonen's output is around around 450-500 watts, en he's 82kg. What xcficher says is almost impossible, also because his vo2 max of 70, that's only an absolute one of ~4l.

xcfisher

by xcfisher

you have to understand those are calculations on time up alp d'huez are theoretical. I cannot ride at that pace for over 30 minutes by any means. I do not race on the road, only mountain. If you have the SRM or even Powertap software I'd be happy to send you my power profiles if you don't believe me... I was just answering to the post. No need to get defensive... :roll: I said I was a professional racer, not an amateur. The problem is your reading too much velonews and spending too much time on the internet searching for meaningless data. SHEER POWER alone is not what makes anybody a successful winner.

littlelycramike

by littlelycramike

Nice one xc fisher! Too right.

also you guys, if there's one thing you should DEFINATELY buy this 'fall' is 'the mountain biker training bible- joe friel' You wont regret it if you're serious about your training. Unless you want to spend all winter dossing about on forums. :wink:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com