HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About

Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:37 pm 

Hi all,

I'm one of these rookies that has always been into bikes but only really started to get serious about road cycling in the last year. Unfortunately I've been into chocolate much longer.

I've only recently started to take a bit of an interest in what I eat as I've "bonked"/ran out of steam on a couple of runs (Once around 30miles and once around 60miles) and I put it down to fuel on the bike. This got me thinking a bit about diet.

I am a thoroughbred chocoholic. I'm 26, fit enough but not super fit (Ride 20miles a day 4 times a week commuting and average around 18mph), 5'10" and 11st10lbs/75kg ish with too much body fat. I work in an office and just eat chocolate when I'm bored. Today I had 6 Cadbury Wispas and a KitKat Chunky.

Most days I will eat a multipack of between 5 and 8 full size bars, and I've been doing this for about 8years. I'm not diabetic and have had blood sugars checked a few times (Mum is diet controlled diabetic). I can't stop. Tried a few times and always get bored and end up back at it.

This all sounds totally frivolous, but it's honestly not. Totally serious post. I've hit the age where it's starting to show and I'm beginning to think about how bad it is healthwise...not to mention fitness and body fat reasons.

Can anyone offer advice on how I can wean myself off it? I tried bread, cereals and nuts, but only last a few days and go back to my old ways. Kinda getting desperate, confess it's an addiction and would be really happy to hear any suggestions that might help me give up a seriously bad habit.

Thanks,

Willie
p.s. I'm not talking about average chocolate consumption or snacking...I'm talking about eating industrial volumes of the stuff.

Posted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:37 pm 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:45 pm 

You gotta remove the temptation. Do not have any chocolate near by, ever! Also, keep telling yourself that dieting sucks, but being slow sucks more. If you start competing, that will also help. Nothing motivates like war!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:13 am 

1st. Try limiting the junk food to say once or twice a week, a cheat meal if you will.

2nd. Look at the lable of what you choose to consume.

3rd. What you put in to the system must be less than what you burn.

In genreral, at least where I am (USA), to eat clean, it must be everything on the outside of a supermarket. Fresh fruit and vegs, along with meat. The inside stacks, contain nothing but food, that could stay on the shelfs for years.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:20 am 

8 chocolate bars a day? Seriously?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:42 am 

switch to coffee, much more..... TASTY

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:21 am 

i had a seafood platter for 2 alone on tuesday and "eat all you can" yesterday night.
Feeling the aftermath in today 3.5 hours session with 1.2k elevations.

Remorseful

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:54 am 

Has anyone tried Hyponotherapy for this sort of thing, or any other adicition like smoking?

I have had smoker friends who gave up after this, but i am pretty skeptical....

More geniune stories would be useful...

OP; if you think the weights coming on now, wait til you pass 35yrs of age....

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:18 am 

General tip for losing weight: force yourself on a scale every day.

Don't have the stuff near by. (No, problem for me, there's a box of celebrations on my desk since january. Have only taken two :D

Tell your colleagues that you're trying to lose weight. The next time you take a bar and see a coworker looking at you, you'll feel guilty...

good luck

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:06 am 

Thanks for all the advice.

Voodoojar, unfortunately I am serious. Infact, sometimes it's over 8 :oops: My regular thing to do is buy a multipack of something or other at lunchtime and it's gone by 3pm. I regularly have two bars for breakfast. I'd make a dietician blush.

I don't race, but I suppose that would be good encouragement to cut it out. What do you guys feed on during the day? Any filling foods that are tastey but not as bad as chocolate?

I was thinking I should maybe try eating my sandwiches etc before walking up to the town at lunch so that I'll be less likely to be hungry when I get there and buy a pile of kak I really don't need.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:20 am 

At my desk at work I have The Box and the Tank.

The box is a ~ 2 litre Tupperware tub which I fill with nuts (raw almonds, cashews, pistachios, peanuts), dried fruits (apricots, blueberries, dates, bananas, sultanas, strawberries etc) and seeds. This lasts about a week.

The tank is a 2 litre bottle of water, drunk at least once a day.

These two take care of any hunger issues between main meals.

Ad others have said, record your food (that means everything) and DO NOT buythat which you do not want to eat in the first place.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:05 am 

OP, I can relate to what you say..

My first recommendation would be to agree with @devinci. Coffee will help you out, a lot.

On this rare occasion, I have to disagree with Tapeworm, if you're anything like myself, those nuts will be gone before the end of the day. They may be healthier than the chocolate bars but, they're much more calorie-dense than the chocolate. The food log is a good idea though.idea

Do you suffer more when you train, or cannot train?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:01 am 

Approach it like any other addiction, one day at a time. Make it a competition for yourself, see how long you can go without. You really need to remember that feeling fit and strong feels way better than the rush you get from eating a chocolate bar.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:03 pm 

I'll give a few of these a go. I'll try some coffee at the weekend as I can see that it might help. Forcing myself to hang on to a certain time before taking a drink might get me used to having to wait to certain times at least. Maybe combine it with the nuts to keep me full at the start (i.e. only eat the nuts when I've the drink). I don't actually like Tea or Coffee, the only hot drink I take is Hot Chocolate (I know :roll: ), but if I can get into it it'll maybe help.

I did one day's food diary a while back and it scared the life outta me, but while I was doing it I made a conscious attempt not to eat much junk.

I'll try to use monday as my fresh start and quit buying the kak, keep a daily diary and try drinking Coffee at pre-determined intervals with no grub in between.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:35 pm 

kevinkalis wrote:
...They may be healthier than the chocolate bars but, they're much more calorie-dense than the chocolate...

You make it sound like a negative.

Posted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:35 pm 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:42 pm 

Do you enjoy eating the kak?
I have a diet of pure, unorganic, mass manufactured s**t. I have considered changing things but I'm miserable if I even see something green!

Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next